I miss old type horror films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Why would you hate supporting the BFI?

2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It was an ironic statement in response to the poster I quoted, who was advocating watching copyrighted material on YouTube, rather than paying for it.

Graham likes this.
  3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Cheers for clearing that up and interesting comment, among people I've found the end provokes different reactions (not the last scene).

Some find it depressing were I find it pulls together the Peter Pan threads into something deeply beautiful and moving, so much more than your standard horror film

4. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I think it's "Castle of Blood".

apesfan likes this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Well I cried and agree with your reaction.

Pastafarian likes this.
  6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

What a coincidence. I just watched Castle of Blood last night-along with Nightmare Castle and Terror Creatures From the Grave-from Severin's Barbara Steele blu-ray. All three were a lot of fun and in B&W.

Jimi Bat and doublenaught like this.
  7. I enjoyed The Autopsy of Jane Doe quite a bit.

andy749 and Nice Marmot like this.
  8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Try The Witch. Best horror film Ive seen in years.

9. htom

htom Senior Member

I wasn't aware Del Toro had any involvement with the Dark Shadows film.

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

You're right! I just looked the movie up and he didn't do it. I guess I picked up a bit of PR fluff.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The Witch.

12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah The Witch and Heriditary are two of the more recent horror movies that sorta fit the OP's criteria...they're both slowburners.

13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I like horror movies in B&W.

For me, color doesn't work for me, the way B&W does with its tremendous contrast ratio's.

14. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Me too I agree!! I love those old movies and no they are just not the same today. I like all the old Hammer films especially the Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing- Dracula, The Mummy, Frankenstein - all really cool I still like to watch them the details the costumes the old mansions and sounds were just so cool! As of matter fact putting it on my list for this weekend!

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just watched this based on recommendations in this thread! Fantastic. Talk about old school horror. So beautifully done. Everything is played so straight and low key, it makes those REAL GHOSTLY things like creaking stairs, and distant laughter absolutely hair raising. That's what this film is, a hair raiser - not a shock, jolt, but long scenes where the hair on the back on your neck is standing up if you let yourself drift into the action. Thanks to all those who recommended this. A new horror favorite for me. The new version was just nowhere as effective. Give me those quality BBC productions any day. And the ENDING! Ouch@!

Karnak likes this.
  16. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

So glad you got to see this. I thought that your words about hair raising were spot on:righton:.
    Only thing- this was not a BBC production, but a 'Central Independent' one(according to my vhs). I'm open to correction on this but think it was part of Granada and now is known as ITV. (Central gave us Inspector Morse, Granada -Coronation St and ITV - Doc Martin among others :).

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I've just watched Little Strangers and I think it fit the bill, brooding melancholy, a house and some fantastic 1950s RP English.

beccabear67 likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

Im just watching LotR and realize the character on my screen is the same as on the thumbnail of that trailer.

19. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

That's Domhnall Gleeson. He's not in Lord of the Rings, though he is in many wonderful films including Ex Machina, Never Let Me Go, About Time and Anna Karenina. And Harry Potter and Star Wars, too, of course.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Leonthepro

Yet another pair of actors that look similar:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parachute Woman likes this.
  21. "Overlord" reminded me of a B-movie with a great "A" budget. Not really super old fashioned but certainly from the period of films such as "Surf Nazi's Must Die!" styled films but better. It's very well done.

Most "old fashioned horror films" face disdain by many fans of modern horror films--because they focus more on mood and not showing what is behind the door (because, isn't really more scary when you don't know what's behind the door? Hitchcock once defined the difference between horror and terror as this way--horror is what happens when you open the door but terror and fear don't have a resolution (either in seeing what is there and screaming, i.e., the release or finding nothing there--relief whereas with terror we never really see what it is and we don't get the release so fear continues on).

"The Changeling" with George C. Scott is somewhat like that and a terrific old fashioned horror film IMHO.

Karnak likes this.
  22. Yep except that there's like almost 30 years age difference between them. The top could play the bottom's father for sure.

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What movie is being talked about here? I tried to go back and trace the replies, but couldn't figure it out.

24. I think it's about "The Witch".

25. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I believe The Woman in Black - there was a 1989 BBC version and a recent one starring Daniel Radcliffe.

Karnak, wayneklein and Ghostworld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.