I miss old type horror films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Zappa wrote a song about this topic...Cheepnis.

Leonthepro likes this.
  2. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I also recommend the old UK TV series 'Tales Of The Unexpected'. Some really chilling stuff in there :)

mark renard likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Love that song.

4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Sixth Sense

5. ukozcd

ukozcd Jedi

I thoroughly enjoyed this recent music clip by Billie EILISH. The director is Michael CHAVES who is the director of The Conjuring 3.

6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

We just don't have actors like Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, and John Carradine anymore. :cry:

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  7. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

What I like about the old Hammer films is that, due to the budgets, they always seem to take place in some remote village or countryside. The feeling of isolation adds to the atmosphere. Most of them have a scene in the local tavern in which the villagers are afraid to discuss the local legends of Dracula or Frankenstein.:laugh:

Jazzmonkie, Hawkeye and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. We do, they just make a lot of other films as well and there aren’t the type of roles (I.e., recurring roles in horror franchise like Frankenstein, Dracula, etc. ). No actor wants to be typecast as it limits your work particularly now where the type of franchise films that they made are no longer in vogue.

Many of the franchise have been turned to TV as well which seems to be where a lot of genre franchise styled material ended up (shows like Supernatural, The X-Files, Grimm, Lucifer, etc.)

There are still the Resident Evil, Underworld styles films (or Hellboy which takes the tropes of the genre and put it into a comic book context) but they are fewer.

9. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I'm with you...the old Universal 'monster' flicks with Dracula, Frankenstein, the Wolfman and Karloff's Mummy are the best. I have an extremely sensitive 'squick' threshold and don't even try new films. And aval Lewton. Oh, and the two Cat People films from, I think, the 40s! Talk about atmospheric!

Someone upthread called the old black and whites 'supernatural.' It's a far better term.

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Growing up on B&W monster movies (besides our TV was B&W), color doesn't do monster/horror movies justice, they way that the original B&W films do.

11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Absolutely - they also always have at least a couple of buxom young maidens in dirndls (pic below) and a bartender and patrons speaking in cockney accents - even though they are all supposed to be in eastern europe.

typical dialogue "aaack...don't you listen to that lot, squire. Bunch of old superstitious nonsense. Too much drink, that's their problem!"

[​IMG]

mark renard likes this.
  12. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I love some of the cheapie horror movies made by Monogram and PRC studios back in the '30s & '40s. All are public domain and are all probably on YouTube. Nowhere near as good as what the major studios made but there was just something about 'em.
    Makes you feel like you're 12 again and it's 1:30 Sunday morning and you're still up watching.
    Some Lugosis:
    The Human Monster (aka Dark Eyes Of London) distributed in US by Monogram.
    Return Of the Ape Man...also w/John Carradine
    The Corpse Vanishes
    The Invisible Ghost
    The Ape Man
    The Devil Bat

Karloff - The Ape

George Zucco:
    The Flying Serpent
    Dead Men Walk
    The Mad Monster
    The Black Raven
    Voodoo Man

Richard--W and Hawkeye like this.
  13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

One of the finest "old type" horror films will be out on blu-ray in a couple of days.

Robert Wise's masterpiece The Body Snatcher (1944) produced by Val Lewton.

I found this review:
    The Body Snatcher

Buy it on amazon or at all the usual places.

Jazzmonkie, smilin ed, Tim S and 3 others like this.
  14. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Just watched this a few weeks ago on disc (still have the Netflix disc program for gems like this) - Karloff ruled this film.

15. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Richard--W likes this.
  16. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

mark renard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.