I miss the Smothers Brothers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

I had that too! As a 12 year old, I REALLY liked the cover. A naked, spray-painted woman? What’s not to like? I think I have a sealed copy of that album somewhere. Boil them cabbage down, boys!

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Not really true, although I have my serious doubts that they weren't all sourced from vinyl ...

Smothers Brothers Archives - Laugh.com

3. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Some of that album sounds suspiciously "faked", as if they did stuff in the studio and added audience effects. The "moving around the soundstage" is VERY jarring, and it sounds more like the stereo mixdown engineer was merely flicking the switch from L to R and back again. There is one instance of the vocal changing instantly from one side to another literally in the middle of Dickie saying "Shut Up!!!!"

I own every one of the SB LP's....it's a fantastic progression from PURPLE ONION Lp to the SMOTHERS COMEDY BROTHERS HOUR Lp. A full retrospective of all the LP's *AND* the 45 issues which never appeared on any albums would be fantastic. (Some did, but not all.)

The MOM ALWAYS LIKED YOU BEST album included three songs which were studio cuts dressed up to sound like live recordings, and it would be fantastic to hear them clean. Case in point--a beautiful bit of Mason Williams-written mellowness:

4. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Hey, I know this song as the B-side of Mason Williams’ ‘Classical Gas’ single. Didn’t know the Brothers recorded it too!

Chip TRG likes this.
  5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw them live with Joan Rivers once.

Loved em..

7. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Mason was practically one of the family....very close friend and roomie of Tommy, head writer on the SBCH, writer and coordinator on their albums from about '65 onward. Williams was a *big* part of the Smothers' success, and he is nothing short of a brilliant Renaissance Man who could do almost anything he set out to do.

In the SMOTHERD documentary posted a page or two back, Steve Martin tells a beautifully heartfelt story about Mason paying him out of his own pocket to be able to get him on to the Comedy Hour staff.

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Which editorial did you get? I remember one about gun control where Pat's solution was not to ban guns, but ban bullets instead!

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

"Our policy on guns is very clear. We believe if you're old enough to get arrested, you're old enough to own a gun."

stereoptic likes this.
  10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A fan since Purple Onion came out when I was four. I have every album and know most of the routines by heart. I have the two available truncated season sets. Wish they could be done right. Still waiting for season one.

11. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Saw them in Vegas in late '99 (maybe?).
    Good show in a smaller venue at the Mirage that was almost sold out. Saw the Yo-Yo Man and everything.

"Take it, Tom."
    "No!"

Chip TRG and stereoptic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.