I need a phono stage reccommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rudy, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rudy

rudy Forum Resident Thread Starter

My built in phono stage on my Musical Fidelity AR3 preamp made a crackling sound and now all I get is hiss and no sound from my turntable. The preamp is still under warranty so I can get it fixed, but now I have the opportunity to seriously consider a separate phono stage since the Musical Fidelity is not the greatest. Check out my profile for details on the rest of my system.

Sometimes I just need a small push to get on the upgrade wagon. My price range is between $600 to $1200. I welcome any suggestions, in between listening to the new Stones releases of course.

-Rudy

2. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Check this one out. Has received many excellent reviews. Right in the low side of your price range.Lehmann Black Cube

3. rudy

Thanks Joseph,

I've also read good reviews of the Black Cube. It certainly would take up less room on my already maxed out audio rack. I went from a Phono Box to the Musical Fidelity phono stage and heard a great improvement in the quality. I'll read up on the reviews from the web site.

-Rudy

4. akshobhyavajra

akshobhyavajra New Member

Rudy,

Here is a partial list of phonos up to about $1K (might help with research):

* Rat Shack Magnetic Cartridge Stereo Preamp $25 (battery powered)
    * Pfanstiehl Amp-2 - $25
    * Hagerman "Bugle" Phono Kit/2 - $25 (assembled - $125)
    * Recoton SP-2 Stereo Phono - $30
    * B Tech-BT-26 MM phono amp - $50
    * B Tech BT-926 MM phono - $70
    * Esoteric Sound MM Pre - $80
    * Music Hall MMF1 Phono - $90
    * NAD PP1 (MM) Phono $100
    * Parasound PPH-100 Compact Phono Preamp $110
    * Sumiko Pro-Ject Phono Box MM/MC Phono Preamp $125
    * KAB PH-1 by KABUSA - $149
    * DB Systems DB-8 and DB-8HG - $175 - $200
    * Creek OBH8 - $200
    * Clearaudio Micro Basic - $200
    * Gram Amp 2 SE phono preamp - $220
    * Mini Phono by ASL - $ 249
    * Rega Fono - $300
    * Musical Fidelity X-LPS - $300
    * Creek OB-8/9 SE with OBH-2 - $325
    * MAD Ultra 4m Stereo Phono/Line Preamplifier $385
    * Bluenote - Phono 1 - $395
    * Monolithic Sound PS 1 MM/MC Phono Stage - $399
    * Acurus P-10 - $400
    * Clearaudio Basic - $400
    * GRADO PH-1 PHONO - $450
    * MAD - Phono 5 Phono Preamplifier - $ 495
    * Black Cube Phono Amp V2 by Lehmann - $525
    * Hagerman Cornet tube phono - $600 (assembled)
    * McCormack Micro Phono - $600
    * Audio Electronic Supply PH-1 - $600
    * Phonomena Phono Stage - $600
    * Wright Sound WPP100C Phono Preamplifier - $750
    * Zen Triode Phono ZP-1, 1.5, 2.0 - $795 +
    * Plinius Jarrah Phono - $800
    * EAR 834P Phono - $800
    * KAB Souvenir EQS MK2, 12, 12L - $850 +
    * Wright Sound - WPL11 Phono/Line Preamplifier - $900
    * Eos Phono Stage - $950

The Gram, Clearaudio, Monolithic, Lehman, Phenomena, KAB Souvenir and Wright Sound have all gotten positive professional reviews as well as comments from users on other boards.

Good Luck,

~Michael~

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I picked up a Monolithic PS-1 some months back for about $350 and have been very pleased with it. (You'll see a large number of positive, some glowing, comments on this stage over at Audio Asylum.) So far I've been running it without the optional
    HC-1 power-supply upgrade (another $260 or so, I think), which supposedly takes it into a whole other league. But if you're willing to spend $600 or more, you may consider the PS-1/HC-1 combo.

I've also listened a bit to the $1,200 Acoustech PH-1 at a friend's house. Very rich and impressively smooth sound. It's at the top of your budget range, but might be worth investigating ...

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I still love my Carey-made PH1. It was a kit that introduced me to tubes. It's now a part of their superamp series (heh heh). The kit is not kind to those who don't know how to solder, or get confused easilly. You can buy it assembled. I must say also, it looks gorgeous.

http://www.audioelectronicsupply.com/products/AEHTML/kits/PH-1_Preamplifier.html

Absolutely NO qualms. Been almost a year. Using a 6189 & 2 RCA side-getted 6SL7's. Runs quiet, cool, and blows anything I've heard as a SS pre <$600 away!

The Black cube though, is nice. For a very well made SS puppy, I would recommend it too.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I really like my AcousTech PH-1. The list price is something like $1,200 but you can find a used one for $700-800...

Todd

8. rudy

Everyone,

Thanks for all the reccommendations I'm going to have a fun Labor Day weekend shopping listening and shopping. I'll let you know what I decide. Sckott, you have me real interested in the tubes.

-Rudy

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Rudy, if you need help getting the right tubes, I can let you know sometime soon. The PH-1 was "Steve's fault" (influence of Tube experimenting) and Steve helped me 100% into the tubes that put the magic in the sing of things.

But good luck in whatever you decide. :)

10. akshobhyavajra

akshobhyavajra New Member

11. listentothemusic

listentothemusic New Member

Another Alternative

I just joined the discussion group today and saw your original post. I'm sure you have addressed your need by now, but thought I would make another suggestion as well.

I was in need of a phono section myself due to the fact that I had recently acquired a used McCormack TLC-1 preamp - this unit does not have a phono stage on board.

After trying many different phono preamps used in conjunction with this preamp (some borrowed from friends, some from dealers), I ultimately acquired another preamp, an Audio Research SP9 which has a very high quality phono section.

I take the tape output of the ARC into a line input on the McCormack and voile, a high quality phono section that rivals or exceeds the capabilities of most stand alone phono sections.

What's even better is now I have a solid state preamp AND a hybrid tube preamp. Although I normally use the ARC in conjunction with my McCormack, I will sometimes simply route all inputs into the ARC and use it as my preamp.

In essence, I have the best of both worlds!

Just my two cents.

12. mandrake

mandrake New Member

The Trichord Dino with Dino+ has a good reputation and is within your price range.

http://www.walrus.co.uk/phono/phono.htm
    (about 1/3 of the way down)

13. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I may be ordering a FI yhf (tube, of course) soon. It's little known, but I've seen a good write up in Listener.

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

You can also buy a DJ mixer as well, go to the NorthernLightFX site on the Site Seeing section on the front page of the stevehoffman.tv site and order it. You can use one for many things other than DJing, producing, mastering, etc.

15. RDK

RDK Active Member

Any thoughts on a "cheap" (sub-$200) phono stage? I'm getting a used Cambridge Audio preamp so that I can consolidate my CD and LP systems (currently separate since i'm running my CDP directly into my SET amp) - and because I want the remote that the Cambridge offers. The Cambridge pre has an optional $50 phono module that pops into the circuit board and this seems the easiest/least cumbersome option (no extra cables, etc.), but I'm open to a separate phono stage if it's likely to be much better. But I can't consider anything over about $200. Would a separate phono amp be appreciably better in this case than the add-on module for the Cambridge?

Ray

16. BradOlson

The cheapest 19" mixer we have retails at $139.95 which does have 2 phono inputs (NuMark DM1090X ) .

The cheapest "Battle Mixer" retails at $49.95 (Gemini PMX-250 ) which does have 2 phono inputs. The Battle mixers are more compact sized than the 19" mixers and they can do just as much as the 19" mixers, and at $49.95, you will get a great deal.

Mixers we have on sale: Stanton 4 Channel Mixer RM-80 at $299.00
    and we have no mixers on sale at our Thanksgiving promotion, but we do have 2 turntables on special: The Gemini XL-500II for $124.99 (which doesn't play 78s) and the Stanton STR8-80 Direct Drive Turntable for $149.99 and this model does play 78s.

DJ mixers can be used to add components beyond what the outputs on your stereo can allow you to add, plus they can be used as a phono preamp as well. I use my DJ mixer as a phono preamp and for my TV.

17. BradOlson

Arin, a DJ mixer will actually go a long ways for you and your stereo.

18. mandrake

mandrake New Member

The Gram Amp 2 SE blows away most budget phono stages;

http://www.elexatelier.com/gram2se.htm

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/Gram-Amp-2-SE.htm

19. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

There are certainly lots of opinions on this, well here is mine.

Don't screw around and get an Audio Research PH3. You can pick up a used one in the 700-800 range. The AR SP9 does have a nice phono stage (I owned one for 10 years) but the PH3 blows it away. This stage will also accept just about any cart. and its easy to change the resistive loading. Do some research, read the reviews and try to listen to one.

John

20. fishinfool

fishinfool New Member

Re: Re: I need a phono stage reccommendation

21. fishinfool

fishinfool New Member

I don't know about the rest of your prices, but the Wright WWP 100C phono preamp is now $825. And, I thought the EAR 834C was in the $1100 range, but that might have been just for the chrome face version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.