I need good LP Outer sleeves - Part 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I find the extra space is great. It makes handling records easy. Also when stacked on a shelf or in a crate they are kind of stiff and the extra space goes to the top of the record. They make the records look real neat and clean when stacked side by side.

I see now on Music Direct they have the same sleeve as stock image. Their price is better too. Unless they sent you a bad batch, those sleeves shouldn't have any residue on them. If the size are exactly the same as Elusive Disc they are probably identical. Thanks for clueing me in, you could save me money. :righton:

The Hope album is a great. It's got a different character than her other albums (still kind of gloomy) and at times very similar to stuff she's done in the past. I like it and it sounds great on vinyl.

2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well yes the size is a matter of taste, I don't like too tight (I feel like can warp the records) so extra space is good but not too much, I'll see if I like on the Elusive's, but hey! I remember the Music Directs have purple japan characters, the Elusive's is blue... also I don't see that extra space, I mean they have space but not too much. Well I think the only way to resolve the mystery is that you buy a MusicDirect package or I buy a Elusive package to we can compare both, and of course if are the same... the musicdirect price is better with free shipping over $49.

3. stenway

You are correct, but remember some companies are bullsh... about that what they say on his products, just by example on paper backing boards for comics, only two company papers pass the test: Are "acid-free" backing boards truly acid-free? Time to pH test & find out!

4. stenway

this guy is totally lost with the his "BEST" sleeves :thumbsdow , that ones is like a put a trash bag on the records, lol.

5. stenway

I got some new samples from Clearbags, aka Blake Sleeves.

Some pics: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet to explain this:

I confirm now that they change a little bit from the 1st Blakes released around 3 or 4 years ago, differences? they confirm to me that they change the provider.

1. the new material is very close than the 1st, very clear but I think the new is better, why? new don't scratch too much like the 1st, the 1st scratchs as hell over the time, also the new feels more soft, gets scratchs too but not too much.

2. the glue (adhesive strip) now is in better position, so flaps don't bend.

3. the glue (adhesive strip) IS NOT AS BAD like the 1st, I write a lot about that in the past, a lot pieces of glue goes to the flap, the 1st have the worst adhesive strip that I see on a sleeve, but the new ones, well are not great as the "Japanese" sleeves from elusive and music direct but is not terrible like the 1st blakes, I don't see pieces goes to the flap and is easy to find and close, again not great but works... SEE THIS VIDEO: IMG_16362.mov

4. Sizes is just perfect, not too tight, not too long. They have 2 sizes, for normal albums and gatefold, even some gatefold fits on normal but I recommend use the gatefolds, I bet some albums maybe... like the Music Matters jazz don't fit on the gatefold, but I need test...

5. price is $18 per 100, $20 gatefold per 100, shipping is around $10 to $18, depends of the quantity of course.

6. you have the option of flapless or flap, I like flap for a lot reason that I told in this thread.

7. 2mil material, very study, really good weight; the bagsunlimited are too filmsy.

Overall, the new changes are better than the 1st blakes, so I think for price, material and size and well now the glue seems "works" better, for now I choose this ones.

Gumboo and groovelocked like this.
  6. stenway

one tip:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    I recommend use the FLAP side to sit the record on the floor of the shelf or wharever you use, why? because the side flap don't bend/Wrinkled, if you sit the with other of the 3 sides, over the time the sleeves gets bends, is so simple to see and understand. I can show some examples of sleeves wrinkled due sit on the non flap sides.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I picked up some sleeve city 2.5 outer sleeves. They do the job.

8. stenway

it seems clearbags made new sleeves for LPs: Record Album Sleeves - LP Covers - Frost and Clear | ClearBags

• new ones options: 2, 3 and 4 Mil.
    • also they made a little larger the LP ones, from 12 5/8 (12.625) to 12 3/4 (12.75)
    • all has Flaps, I don't see NO FLAP version for those new ones.

anyone has try the new ones?

groovelocked likes this.
  9. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I wish they’d make various resealable box set sleeves and sell in smaller quantities for reasonable prices. I’ve been using clear plastic record store bags for my box sets for the past 10 years and though they work well protecting from dust and shelf wear, they look quite sloppy with everything around them in nice Blake sleeves.

10. VaporCharlie

VaporCharlie Active Member

Hi stenway,

I read all this thread and partially this one Best inner sleeves to use for LPs? where I was happy to see your participation.

I'm kinda a "fan" of yours now, since you clearly tested 90% of aftermarket sleeves.

I tried to ask even to my local shops and they didn't seem to care much.

Yes, it really is sad. I like records too much and want to keep them as mint as possible.

Well here I am, dissatisfied like you. When I search for something I always want to find the best result and this Outer sleeves thing is giving me a headache.

So I'm here to ask: did you happen to test Sleeve City Ultimate Outers? I saw that you mentioned in the past you were going to test them.

On this date, which is the best outer sleeve in your opinion?
    I have 100% trust in you. You taught me a lot about materials.

Thanks in advance.

stenway likes this.
  11. stenway

Hi VaporCharlie, thank you,

Yes, I try to the Sleeve City Ultimate Outers but before give you my opinion, let me tell you that I request some samples from another company focus on how care/store my 7 inch singles, so I receive those I want create a new thread of how I packing my records and differences that I found over the years with the on inner sleeves/outer sleeves in deep with pictures and my review. So give me some time and after those sleeves arrives to me and create the thread and I let you know, maybe helps other too.

VaporCharlie likes this.
  12. VaporCharlie

Good idea, remember to write down every old finding you made!
    Even suggesting a flap with good quality glue.

I'm literally waiting for your advice to buy outer sleeves.
    I will also need inners. I know you don't like MoFi. I think I'll still get them and even Diskeeper by Sleeve City.

If you are going to make a section even for inners, that would be great.

T H A N K S!

P.S. Taken from my first post in this forum "another concern I have before switching to MoFi is that I've never cleaned a record before...and trying to search and read how many opinions, products, brushes, machinery, clothes there are, gave me a headache and kinda asked myself if I even wanted to quit this hobby..." and well at this point I would really like to know how someone like you clean records!

stenway likes this.
  13. VaporCharlie

Also, did you test the Resealable ones by Sleeve City or their regulars? Can't wait to see the new thread you are going to make.
    I didn't like the idea of flaps with glue but I now understand (thanks to your threads) that is better for archiving records. And atm I need to archive them good since I can't listen to them for now.

14. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Anyone have suggestions for sleeves for One Step/UHQR and big box sets (Beatles on Mono/The Doors AP Set etc.)?

15. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Gonna have to read thru this thread as I need some additional outer sleeves...

16. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Polyethylene is considered an archival material. It is stable up to 80°C and doesn't contain plasticisers. Polyethylene outer sleeves are easy to acquire and perfectly fine for storing LPs.

Melinex/Mylar sleeves are useful for storing documents but it has static and can be hard to get the document in and out (I guess because the document is supposed to stay in the sleeve). Couldn't imagine using it for LPs.

Resources | Understanding Archival Polyester | Gaylord Archival

uzn007 likes this.
  17. stenway

Even better than any Poly, Mylar or any "plastic" are this: Gaylord Archival® 10 pt. Folder Stock 13" LP Record Envelopes (25-Pack) | Envelopes, Sleeves & Protectors | Media Preservation | Preservation | Gaylord Archival

Yes paper! (yes... I know... I know... you can't see the lovely cover through plastic, but that not matters for archival purposes, the goal is long term protection), remember paper breath, plastics not, also that are not common paper, are real Acid-free/Lignin-free etc. Gaylord is a trusted company.

I would love buy those but the the problem is they are very expensive!!! Gaylord prices are high plus taxes and shipping. His customers possibly are museums or rich collectors.

I add 100 of those ($2.8 per sleeve):

[​IMG]

18. stenway

About the static, could be true due I don't know how explain in words but yes Mylar has a different feeling, but to pull it/out is not true, I mean is easy easy as Polyethylene. By example: Comic collectors only use Mylar and comics very fragile than a Record, and pull it/out a comic is not hard (of course you need to be gentle with a comic to not damage any corner due the fragile etc. but again is not hard to pull it/out) so a Record is more easy due the record is solid.

I have some Mylar outers from the same company that made for Comics (eGerber) but again are expensive and the size IMO is too big 13 inch (record is floating inside the outer sleeve). Also I prefer 2mil Mylar than the 4mil, 4mil is too hard and breaks easy, IMO 4mil Mylar for records is not good, for comics yes.

One thing than almost any Poly beats the Mylar is the clarity, Mylar is totally clear, shiny, colors pops, everything looks perfect. Even on this video you can tell the difference, in your hands is even more:

19. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

That looks similar to the record sleeves sold by Conservation By Design: - Categories - CXD Premier Record Sleeve -

20. stenway

just one thing: that CXD Premier Record Sleeve are Inner Sleeves, the Gaylord's are paper Outer Sleeves.

21. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

This may have been covered, didn't read through all 3 pages...but...why would dust ever get onto the record itself when using sleeves? virtually impossible. I do what everyone does - I have a sleeve that goes over the album cover itself. And of course the opening of the sleeve is on top, not the side. And then each and every album gets a mofi anti-static sleeve. The vinyl goes inside the album cover sleeve with it's opening sideways. There is no way dust is going to get in there. Well, sure, i guess anything is possible obviously but very doubtful.

Robert C and Aura like this.
  22. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

No, they're intended to be outer sleeves. Scroll down and you will also see envelopes.

23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, I think I'll stick with polyethylene.

Robert C likes this.
  24. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

Is there any danger to using the larger plastic see-through outer sleeves as actual sleeves for the records?

I bought a pack of those VinylStyl outer sleeves by mistake, thinking they were sleeves for the records to slip into, and haven't had a chance to buy anything else when I was cleaning some singles that were subjected to damage during storage, and was forced to throw away the original sleeves and covers of these 12-inch singles...so I just put the records into the outer sleeves.

Can records be left in outer sleeves like these?

[​IMG]

25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

If they're polyethylene sleeves, yes.

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.