I need good LP Outer sleeves - Part 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

I'm not sure what they're made out of, now that you mentioned it -- I did notice, however, some "smudges" on the vinyl that looked like they could have been caused by sliding the records in and out of these plastic jackets (they weren't there before, and I handle my 12-inch vinyl from my DJ days meticulously)...so I was wondering if there was any long term risk of damage.

2. Kaskade10729

Now that I'm doing some more research, I see the word "poly" being thrown around for these sleeves, but I also see references to "poly bag" and "silicon"...o_O

Digging a little deeper, I saw this description on their website for the product itself:

12.75″ x 12.75″ Clear polybag-open top

What is "clear polybag"?

3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Thing is, they make record sleeves out of polyethylene, polypropylene and polyester (mylar). So the word "poly" doesn't really mean that much in and of itself.

4. Kaskade10729

Indeed; I think what my records are exhibiting is "BAG RASH," as discussed here in this thread:

Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

The thing is, 007, that what I have been using are those thick outer covers that really belong going over an album's ENTIRE cover to actually store the records that had original sleeve damage...so there's no paper inner sleeve, nothing....just the record going directly into those heavy plastic outer "bags" that are supposed to be used to house the record in its INNER sleeve...

See what I mean? I have a feeling this can't be good for the vinyl, if I'm seeing "smears" and "rash" on the surfaces of these singles....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  5. uzn007

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but as far as I know, what they're describing in that thread is a fourth kind of plastic. It's described as "PVC" in the thread but I think that's sort of a generic term. This is the heavy, stiff-but-flexible plastic that you sometimes get picture discs and other collectibles in.

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  6. Kaskade10729

I see; thanks for your help -- yeah, my Thriller picture disc (the Legacy 180 gram reissue) came in one of those really stiff jackets you're talking about...but the sleeves I'm using to put these bare records in aren't as abrasive or plastic-ky as that.

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

They sound like PVC sleeves from your description. They really shouldn't be used at all.

8. Kaskade10729

Thanks Rob; the description talks about "polybag," so I'm not sure if it's PVC. Just figured I'd ask in this thread.

9. peter

peter Senior Member

I like the Bags Unlimited 4 mil sleeves. I think they measure 12 3/4 by same. They also offer a 3 mil 13" outer and an even larger one for box sets. Can't remember the dimensions on that one.

Last time I was in the UK for any length of time, I bought some of those very thick PVC outer sleeves. I REALLY like those but they are expensive and I personally think they are overkill - except maybe on UK albums from the mid 70's to the early 90's which used VERY think covers.

uzn007 likes this.
  10. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I keep all PVC sleeves away from my records. Anything that comes in one immediately gets put in a new inner and a new generic jacket. 7” singles as well.

I am wondering about the newer clear stiff plastic ‘jackets’ like Michael Jackson’s Scream comp, and Ray LaMontagne’s last album came in. Might they cause problems down the line like PVC does? I’ve put them in generic jackets as well for now.

11. VaporCharlie

VaporCharlie Active Member

Tha matter we are discussing here is even about the jacket. The album cover.

OP talked about flap reseleable sleeves to avoid dust/grease and whatever to get inside the outer sleeve and possibly ruin even the album cover.
    Since he is a comic collector, he is researching on something to protect even that paper jacket, and I understand that.

I personally would really like to buy Ultimate Outers 5 by Sleeve City, but since they have opening on top, I'm now stuck with doubts.

McGuy likes this.
  12. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Got it, but...can't he just put the covers on "sideways" as I do? no dust... or at least very very little I'd think.

13. VaporCharlie

VaporCharlie Active Member

Didn't really understand how you do...btw this is not the ONLY point of this thread. Also about materials and better conservation.
    My answer just covered why reseleable.

14. McGuy

15. McGuy

I realize what I said now, sorry about that. My mistake. I do put my album cover sleeves on with the opening at the top but since I use the Ikea Kallax shelves, there's really not dust to get in to the sleeves. If you have the opening of the sleeve on the side of the cover though, then there would be little dust, if any at all. and yes, I do understand that this isn't the only point of the thread but it was a raised point. Just trying to help out. :)

And the reason I put my opening on the top is so the sleeve itself won't slide back when I shove the album back into the shelving unit. I'm anal and it bugs me when they slide back off the cover

trd likes this.
  16. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

For box sets and larger items, I use art storage bags that you can buy at an art supply shop. I saw it first on the attached video and it works reasonably well, but getting the sets in and out are a little laborious.

Gumboo and Twinsfan007 like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about condensation with thick pvcs in the summer ?

18. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Thanks for the response. I wish a sleeve company would make big sleeves so we didnt have to DIY them but i understand. I'll take a look into it when i get a chance

19. uzn007

Bags Unlimited makes a few different sizes of "Box set" sleeves. I don't think they go large enough for, like, the Beatles Mono box, but I think they can handle smaller ones like the sets in that video.

Twinsfan007 and Defrance like this.
  20. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

That Lazerrus video remembers the first days of Blake Sleeves and the Youtube Vinyl Community, the best sleeves that I'd tried was the 1st blakes, later clearbags.com change the material, the new is not bad but not as great as the 1st. Wow 8 years ago, time pass fast, I feel that was yesterday.

21. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

How do the current clearbags sleeves differ from the first Blake’s? I’ve only used the current ones and LOVE them, replaced all my Bags Unlimited poly sleeves and now have about 2k Blake’s.

22. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I'm curious if you have ever tried the Elusive Disc sleeves and what you think. I bought some a few years ago and I'm only now going to get around to using them. I plan to clean and sleeve some records in the next two or three weeks. I can report what I think but I haven't tried any other options so I can't really make any comparisons. I have just used the typical open top plastic sleeves that aren't very clear, the ones that you see most of the time. I want to upgrade to something nicer.

23. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Does Elusive Disc offer different types of outer sleeves? I ask because the ones I have used in the past from them fit pretty much all my LPs, but are horribly cloudy and not clear. I recently purchased some from Big Fudge and while not perfect, they are clear and seem to be of much higher quality.

24. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Looks like they sell just the Japanese outer sleeves in different sizes, plus Mofi outer sleeves.

I'll post my thoughts after I start using them as to how clear and sturdy they seem, and what I think of the seal-able flap.

25. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

The Elusive sleeves are definitely not clear, and like stenway reported with his Japanese Music Direct sleeves, they also have this kind of white film on them. Only seems to be on the inside of the sleeve, not the outside. Oh well, I don't know if I will use them. Maybe on used records that I don't really care for too much, and that already have some cover wear. But for records that I really love that are in NM condition, I will find something else.

The options here look really great. And a plus is that this is local to me (well, same country at least). A bit pricey, but if I order from the U.S. the shipping will be a ton. I like the flaps that you can close without the need for tape, which is just going to lose stickiness over time and will probably transfer a little from one surface to another.

12 inch (LP) Record Products

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.