I need good LP Outer sleeves - Part 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorer

dorer Forum Resident

At today Blake sleeves are still the best?

Good Vibes likes this.
  2. dorer

dorer Forum Resident

I'm interested too

3. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

The current ClearBags 'blake' sleeves are excellent, the 'BOPP' polypropylene they use seems to be superior to the material used by other companies. Even at only 2 mils they seem to be super strong and I don't even feel tempted to try their thicker options (3mil, 4mil). I've been able to squeez several gatefold covers into their smallest 12-5/8"x 12-5/8" single Lp sleeves without splitting a seam yet. They are tight and beautiful, and with the flap at the side the spines are not obstructed by any seam.

groovelocked likes this.
  4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

yes Clearbags are my favs, but I'm curious about the 4mil, the problem is they only have 4mil with adhesive strip and I avoid any adhesive strip (too risky) I prefer flap less sleeves. I don't know why they not offer 4mil without flap.

5. stenway

by the way I don't remember If is say this before but the OLD clearbags blakes had a different material than the current material, the old ones are even more shinny and solid, you can pass your fingers and hear the squeeze, also get more scratches, the new ones are less solid but maybe... in some way "better" due the material is more adjustable to record, hard to explain.

the old ones have a red strip on the adhesive, the new ones clear.

I can show pics later of both, I still have unused of the old ones.

6. stenway

by the way the current 7 inch blakes not fit for "modern" 7 inch singles, some singles are oversized.
    I ask to them if they can make a 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 for those singles, but It seems they need make large quantities.
    I want 7 1/2 to use 2 sleeves per single, a current sleeve for the artwork and the bigger to hold the artwork and the disc. I'll show some pics later of that.

7. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I buy mine from Vinyl Storage Solutions. For outers, I use these and for inners, I use these.

The outers are 3 mil cast polyproylene with dual pockets, and are crystal clear. The main pocket is for the sleeve, and it has a tuckable flap (no tape) which has a crease line that you can fold it on. The second pocket is for the records. (Note, these aren't big enough for MoFis, Music Matters, etc, but they have an oversized product that is currently out of stock)

The inners are a brand new product which I just received on Friday. They are crystal clear and made from a proprietary film.

With the above combination, you get easier access to the vinyl and the album's inners don't get worn. They also slide very easily in and out of shelves.

Oh, and there's a flash sale on until 6 CT Sunday.

MartyTem likes this.
  8. Pali Gap

Yes many great reviews for these sleeves and I applaud the (fellow) Canuck for providing a truly unique and innovative product that definitely filled a demand. Personally I feel like these sleeves are a somewhat overcomplicated solution, and I've never felt the need to store my vinyl outside their covers. At their regular price (even with the exchange rate) they are *ridiculously* expensive, at least 3.5x the price of the ClearBags 'blake' sleeves. A 'dual pocket' also means the back cover of the jacket will be obstructed by the vinyl, and the vinyl itself is more vulnerable.

All the different storage options come with some trade-offs, thankfully we have so many options available today. For me having my sleeves as tight as possible and crystal clear provides the most satisfying solution, the covers are displayed smooth as glass and slide on and off the shelf without any issues. That's the main reason I'm currently leaning in favor of the dreaded flaps, they always pull the sleeves tight around the jacket. Ask me in another 6 months and I may have switched again lol...

groovelocked likes this.
  9. stenway

image below: Seriously? store a record inside a material made for outer sleeves? that sounds a really bad idea, that materials for outers are abrasive and tough/hash, that is risky for the records like PVC, could cause heat and other problems of materials made of certain plastic. Is better use MoFi sleeves, Diskeepers, MaRecordings, Goldring Exstatic (the best 4 inner sleeves that I test) or any made for records not for outers, the inner sleeves are the most critical thing to store a record.

just my taste: About dual pockets and things like that I'm not fan, I don't need by example a gatefold covered even inside for plastic. If I want do a packing for expensive or special record that I want care a lot, I prefer use one blake sleeve per item, one for the artwork + one for the lyrics sheet + mofi sleeve (or wharever) for the disc + a gatefold sleeve to hold the 3 things, at the end I got a very solid piece, also if I want just see the artwork or the lyrics sheet I can pull just that part of the whole thing, without touch with my fingers the original item. I can show pics later too.

nothing against the Vinyl Storage Solutions Outers but all against his Inners sleeves for the record really bad idea IMO.

[​IMG]

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I would never buy this product myself, but I don't think your objections are particularly convincing. Specifically:

Polypropylene isn't "made" for outer sleeves. It's a kind of plastic, and is made for whatever purposes a manufacturer wants to use it for.

Polypropylene is not abrasive or tough; it's quite smooth, otherwise it wouldn't be suitable for an outer sleeve, either.

The pictures on the website clearly imply that you still put the record into a traditional inner sleeve (MSFL or paper or whatever) and then place that into the polypropylene pocket.

Regardless of what type of material you buy for your inner sleeves, they're still placed inside the outer sleeve, one way or another, unless you store your records completely separately from your jackets, so if there are any problems with heat or moisture, they will be problems regardless.

11. audiodefiled

audiodefiled Forum Resident

The price! Are they really over 6$ each?! So say you have an average collection of 1k records, that's over 4k at the discounted price for just sleeves? Nah, I'm fine with whatever's cheapest online, but to be fair, I'm not an archivist and have very few if any truly collectible records...yes I said records.

12. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

Your concerns are valid, but I think you missed the part indicating this film is proprietary. It isn't the same material they use for outers. There's more on it here. Sometimes engineering can challenge norms and bring improvements. I guess we'll how how these perform over the longer term. My vinyl is stored in a basement, so no heat concerns here.

13. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I use E Gerber Mylar bags and matching boards with my comic book collection. I’d without a doubt buy them for some of my records.

14. stenway

Wow! first time that I read that a record collector mention E Gerber, I mentioned in the past due I also collect comics.

E Gerber Mylar is the best of the best, real mylar, nothing beats that E Gerber quality.

My one problem? they only make sleeves for 12 inch but are too big for my taste 13x13 inch, left too much space around the record, so is hard to manipulate the record in the shelves etc. Also are not cheap but no too expensive, way affordable than bagsunlimited mylar.

Also they don't do for 7 inch. I ask to George "if I remember the owner name" but he said that they are focus on comics, not records and make for 7 inch or other sizes for records he need print 10,000, so of course I don't need 10K of sleeves. Is a shame, maybe if many us buy it, he can print.

Actually I do an experiment for singles with E Gerbers + Backing boards, and is great how solid the thing ends, also the backing protect the corners of the artwork and of course the mylar is too shiny, looks perfect but!!! as you see is too tall due are made for comics of course. Actually I trimmed to test but trimmed the Mylities (sleeve) is a pain!

more pics here: imgur.com

preview [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aphexacid likes this.
  15. Pali Gap

The difference being (most) comics don't have much strength/structure, and they're front/back covers are thin paper and very vulnerable to damage. Lps come in stiff cardboard covers, a backer board is unnecessary and would obscure the back cover. I use the storage technique you show with my old collectible Rolling Stone mags that are made from newsprint material.

stenway likes this.
  16. stenway

for LPs yes, but for many singles like the one on the picture, the paper is very thin a fragile.

I'll show later how packing LPs with the Blakes.

17. Pali Gap

Ok, but I'm really only talking about Lps. I've chosen not to chase my hobby down the rabbit hole of 45s. To use archival comic book storage techniques for Lps is a bit obsessive (and expensive) in my opinion, but to each his own.

stenway likes this.
  18. stenway

yes, I agree, the LPs don't need backing boards, at least you have a mint beatles butcher album or something like that.
    I show you later my approach with just blake sleeves for LPs, I ending with a study thing in my hands.

19. stenway

I found some of the Originals "Blake" Sleeves (Clearbags) around 8 years ago, the ones with flat/adhesive has a RED strip.

I miss those and I think are the best 2mil outers that I ever try due the material, the size is great too, Clearbags change the material later without mention anything (the new material is not bad at all and even some may prefer it due are more "slippery") the originals are a little more sticky (due that I remember people making the blake "test", the test consist on pass the fingers and hear a squeeze rich sound) also the originals was more solid and even more clear than actuals. I still don't know which material was made, maybe I can ask to Clearbags and know why they change.

I would have liked to buy tons if i had known they would change. :shrug:

Sorry for the bad pics, but you got the idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Pali Gap

I just received an order of Clear Bags BLP1 (resealable Blake sleeves), I believe they are the tightest fitting resealable sleeves you can find. They are amazing, even tho they are only listed as 2.0 mils thick, the material is stronger and more clear than other brands far thicker.

stenway likes this.
  21. stenway

Cool! yes, even like I said they change the material, the new material is really good too, the size and thick too. Take note that now they offer 4Mil but only for the ones with FLAP/ADHESIVE. I don't know why they NOT offer 4Mil for the NON FLAP. After use flap/adhesive for some years I switch to NON flap sleeves, I don't like dealing with adhesive, is risky, stick the artwork on that can cause permanent damage on.

Also I want a 7.5 x 7.5 sleeves for 7 inch singles due his 7 inch fits for many singles but not for some more modern. Also I have the idea of use a double sleeve (his current and the 7.5 x 7.5). I'll show later my idea.

22. Pali Gap

The sticky strip is only on the bag, not on the flap. So it never touches the Lp.

23. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

Agree. Use these inner and outer sleeves exclusively now. Couldn’t be happier.

Defrance likes this.
  24. stenway

Yes I know, that's the argument that people claims and I understand but! accidents can happens, I hear a lot stories of people pull out record from the sleeves, playing around and boom! they forgot the adhesive and place on an artwork and rip it. I had a picture from a guy that post a damage artwork for that reason but I can find it right now.

25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I love the ClearBags 12 5/8 x 12 5/8 for single LP's. Fit snug, no excess material on the top, crystal clear, and no seam splitting

I got a sample today for their gatefold version 12 15/16 x 12 15/16 and unfortunately I find them to be too big for gatefolds. A gatefold outer doesn't need to be as "tall" as it is "wide" it just needs the extra width. So these have the same problem so many other outers have, too much excess material at the top.

Squaredeal seems to have the right size for gatefolds: 12 3/4 x 12 1/2 but some reviews speak of seam splitting
    (100) 12" SUPER CLEAR 2mil Record Outer Sleeves Vinyl Bags BOPP Flush Cut 12SB02 190153017694 | eBay

Anyone try these?

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.