I Never Thought I Would Become A Bob Dylan Fan.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antiqueguy19001, Jan 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antiqueguy19001

antiqueguy19001 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Years ago, as a teenager, I thought that Bob Dylan was the most overrated musician ever. I couldn't understand why so many people were praising a guy with an annoying raspy voice and boring music. I tried listening to his music many times, but couldn't even get through a complete song, except for Hurricane. I never considered trying to listen to his music again until this summer, when I found a place selling original Columbia pressings of most of Dylan's 1960's albums for only $2 or $3 each. I decided to buy Bring It All Back Home, and Blonde On Blonde, just in case I would eventually somehow find that I like his music. In early September I decided to listen to Blonde On Blonde, and actually found it not too bad. I liked it enough to listen to it again a few days later, and found that liked it even more after the second listen. By the third listen I absolutely loved the album, and listened to Bringing It Back Home right after. There was no turning back then, I knew I was going to become a Dylan fan. I listened to as much Dylan as I could get my hands on, and loved all of it. Right now I am listening to Blonde on Blonde for the millionth time, and it still sounds as good as ever! I never thought that I would end up liking Bob Dylan, but now he is probably one of my top 5 favorite musicians.

Has anyone else here ended up liking a musician that they used to hate at a different point in their life?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's really cool...I've been a fan of Dylan since the 60's but actually my Dylan love peaked at Desire...It's not that I dislike him now...I will always love Bob! What do you think of Desolation Row?

3. GimmieSomeTruth

GimmieSomeTruth Well-Known Member

Yeah as a teen my cousin loved Dylan and while i liked a few of his songs i just wasn't into him. Way more of a Beatles fan at the time. 15 years later and i love Dylan now. Blood On The Tracks is one of my favorite albums and i love Street Legal too

joelee, The MEZ, I333I and 1 other person like this.
  4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Go out and get Blood On The Tracks...there won't be any turning back...

5. antiqueguy19001

Desolation Row is probably one of my favorite Dylan songs, especially the live versions he played on his 1966 tour. Desolation Row, along with It's Alright Ma, Visions Of Johanna and A Hard Rain's A'gonna Fall probably have some of my favorite Dylan lyrics of the 1960's.

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not a huge Dylan fan but love some of his mid 60's pre accident stuff. "Positively 4th Street" and "Fourth Time Around" (a response to a Lennon song I think) and songs of his covered by other artists such as "Mr Tambourine Man" by the Byrds and The Mighty Quin" by Manfred Mann

antiqueguy19001 likes this.
  7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Those 2 albums you mentioned plus Highway 61 Revisited are his best albums IMO and all are worth getting in mono.

8. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

To answer your question; I used to hate The Incredible String Band but ended up growing to love them.

9. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Freewheelin' is essential also.

10. kevin

kevin Senior Member

If you like Blood On The Tracks you might just love More Blood More Tracks the boxed set[i've been listening to it off and on the last few days and it sure is addictive imho].

11. antiqueguy19001

Thanks for the recommendation! I will look into getting that, I also have heard that Another Self Portrait and The Basement Tapes also have some great unreleased tracks. The only part of the Basement Tapes I have heard so far was some stuff off Youtube, and the 1971 versions of Greatest Hits Volume II, and I loved all of it. I hope to get the complete basement tapes next, and hopefully Another Self Portrait and More Blood More Tracks.

Instant Dharma and Lars1966 like this.
  12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I got Dylan right from the first listen. It was a Sunday evening in April of 1970 or 71,I was around 15, and my local AM station was signing of with one last song and I was frozen in my tracks as I heard this music that sounded like Scottish trad put to Rock with a catchy organ part and this snarling voice. The DJ said...that's Bob Dylan doing Positively 4th Street. I was like....what? What a strange cool name for a song. I had to find this record. Next day I got down to the local Ames dept. store and picked up Greatest Hits. I loved every song on there and that sent me on a Dylan mission til I had every release including the original Great White Wonder bootleg.

13. antiqueguy19001

Right now I only have heard those three albums in stereo, but hope to find them in mono soon. It also seems like my copy of Blonde on Blonde is the 1968 remix (Two eye labels with -2 matrices, and without the picture of Claudia on the gatefold). How different is the original 1966 stereo mix from the 1968 mix?

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. BertDert

BertDert Zapple scruff

The version of Desolation Row from MTV Unplugged is another astounding officially released version.

The MEZ and IbMePdErRoIoAmL like this.
  15. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

“The Cutting Edge” 6CD is also an amazing set! One book has great session information and the other has great photos!

The MEZ and antiqueguy19001 like this.
  16. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

MoFi did mono versions of the first two “going electric” albums. I prefer “Bringing It All Back Home” in stereo, though.

17. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I’m a big Dylan fan but wasn’t.until around 2006 When. My now. Ex boyfriend introduced me to
    More. Dylan I had just not really took the time to listen to a lot of him, I have read his lyric books and love them. My favorite I love watching old YouTube. Movies. I’ve seen him. Twice I think he’s totally. Cool

The MEZ, jamiesjamies, JoeF. and 3 others like this.
  18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

It sounds like you didn't like his music at first but you sort of "wanted" to like it.

I mean you bought his albums in the "hope" you might like it. So you already sort of liked him but you just needed that rigt moment to like his music.

That happened to me with the grateful dead. Took me like 10 years of trying until i "got" it. I kept listening to albums keep trying until it clicked. I always liked their artwork with skulls and stuff and i always wanted to be a fan. First time i heard i was like "this is whatevers" But they are so legendary i kept trying. Sounds a bit like you?

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool. I love both versions of Desolation Row...

20. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Dylan has some amazing lyrics and has written some amazing songs but I am just not that into him still.

Ten years ago if you asked me what I thought of steely dan I would have told you I'm not a fan. Three years ago I finally got it and now I love their albums and hear them often. Some people have to mature to like jazz I influenced rock and others love it instantly. I loved prog and some fusion but now I see the genius of what steely dan accomplished.

Lars1966 and antiqueguy19001 like this.
  21. antiqueguy19001

I have heard a lot of good things about Steely Dan, but haven't taken to the to give any of their albums a proper listen. I have also always been a huge prog fan, so I find more complex rock normally easier to get into, and simpler music sometimes a bit harder, but it really depends. The first bands I really seriously listened to were The Beatles, Queen and Simon And Garfunkel. Speaking of Dylan, a friend I had used to only listen to hip hop and rap, nothing else, and he used to joke around and tell me that the rock music that I like is garbage. A few months ago though he sent me a message saying that he has been listening to a lot of rock lately, and mentioned Dylan as his favorite musician. I guess that music tastes aren't always so narrow, and if you give something a chance you may find that you like it.

Sneaky Pete, The MEZ and Crimson jon like this.
  22. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Similar story with me and Dylan when I was 20yrs old. Couldn't understand what the fuss was about with Dylan - nasal voice and a horrible harmonica. I didn't mind the riff in "Rolling Stone". A friend loaned me Desire, and I found that surprisingly listenable. Bought the EP of "Rolling Stone" and the EP of The Times... album tracks, and started to become intrigued. A friend was a big Dylan fan, and he introduced me to the bootlegs, and Royal Albert Hall (Manchester Trades Hall 1966 - the "Judas" performance) had a huge influence.

Soon I was devouring every Dylan record I could find - official and bootleg. And was following as many of his influences I could find, but mainly Woody at that stage (I was already interested in early blues then). I've continued to devour the richness of Dylan to this day.

The MEZ and antiqueguy19001 like this.
  23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I became a fan in the 80s, right around the time the Biograph boxset came out. It was my first purchase and it was glorious. I can't remember what steered me his way, it probably was a friend of mine who was into Dylan and The Grateful Dead and I passively heard a lot of his music just being around him. By the way, Biograph is still an awesome set.

24. Down Under

Down Under Active Member

I got kicked out of home when I was 15. My mate picked me up in his HD Holden and on the radio was "Like a Rolling Stone". Coincidence...not.
    After that a friends l stayed with for awhile with his 2 most recent albums, "Blood ot Tracks" & "Desire". Incredible albums.

As I've said recently Dylan can't sing like Picasso can't paint! In fact most of my faves don't have textbook voices.
    B Dylan, N Young K Bush P Smith P Kelly B Springsteen, V Morrison, J Cash, S Blasko, J Mellencamp, G Lightfoot, S Nicks

A few years later, my then 23 yo son said to me, "Dad, I get it, I get Bob!".

As well as the ones above, I like "Freewheelin..", "Blonde on Blonde", "Bringing it Back Home", "Basement Tapes", "Pat Garret n Billy the Kid", "Street Legal". His 80s n 90s is a bit more patchy but "Slow Train Comin", "Jokerman", "Every Grain of Sand" & "Brownsville Girl" are worth the price of admission. There are other 80s n 90s l may've missed. Incredibly he released "Time Out of Mind", "Love and Theft" and "Tempest". Those last 3 are better than most, not all, artists entire careers.

IMNSHO.

25. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Get that big basement tapes box set

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.