I Never Thought I Would Become A Bob Dylan Fan.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antiqueguy19001, Jan 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The Dylan albums I started with were:

Greatest Hits, Vol2
    Hard Rain
    Blood On The Tracks
    Highway 66 Revisited

To this day, that has shaped a vision and expectation for me. The early LPs, though wonderful, have a "dated" feel for me, with the exception of Blonde On Blonde. So I suppose I'm a post motorcycle accident baby, zeroed in on his 70's sound. The re-imagined Self Portrait and the Basement tapes box were revelations.

I would say to the OP to think of Dylan phases, pick one at a time, and immerse completely into them, mine them fully before moving on. Otherwise it's like trying the take in the Smithsonian museum in one day - no depth possible.

2. Colour-Question

Colour-Question someone else

Couldn`t listen to any Dylan or Dire Straits for years ... actually i`m enjoying to discover his stuff `n would add Self-Portrait to the list, if it wasn`t for Spanish is the Love Tongue also his 1973 selftitled album or Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid ... but it`s getting better.

3. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I got turned on to Dylan back in the mid 70s around the time of BOTT, but it wasn't that album that did the trick, it was accidentally hearing ''Positively 4th Street''. I think Dylan, and only Dylan could have written that song, the same is true of so many of his other classics ''Masters Of War, Like A Rolling Stone, Desolation Row etc...etc...etc... I've never thought there was anything wrong ''unusual yes'' with his voice/vocals, they matched those songs perfectly, as much as i appreciate hearing other artists cover Dylan songs, it was never the way to get my Dylan fix.

4. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I was also late to the party on Bob. A college housemate liked Bob...but that voice(!). Definitely an acquired taste. I did like Bob's "Watching the River Flow," "Gotta Serve Somebody," and "Lay Lady Lay" along the way. Otherwise, I tried to be nonjudgmental around the apartment. Fast forward to CDs in the '80s. I took a gamble on Time Out of Mind. That was good, so I picked up my housemate's favorite, Blood On The Tracks. Better than I remembered. "Okay, what's next?" How about "Blonde On Blonde"? "Got something going here, but I'm not buying all the old stuff." Here we go, The Essential Bob Dylan. Yes, those CDs cover a lot of territory without putting much of a dent into my savings account. Picked up a Bob Dylan Forever Young promo CD at a record show. Quite the find; and I'm on a roll. Finally decided to appreciate what I already had by slowing down with Love and Theft and then Modern Times when those two CDs came out. It took forty years, but Bob's now in about sixth place in my personal musical hierarchy.

Bob at the Grammy Awards. He cleans up pretty well.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Dylan album run 1962--1966 is mind boggling. I like all of Bob's material. Even albums I'm not crazy about I get something out of. World Gone Wrong 1993 is one of my favorite later Dylan albums.

Love this book. I couldn't put it down a truly fascinating read.

Bob Dylan: All the Songs - the Story Behind Every Track https://www.amazon.com/dp/1579129854/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SGhrCb9X4HNJ0

6. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Yes, the Dead.

7. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

You can break up with somebody and quote Dylan (Don't Think Twice, It's Alright). You can leave a job and quote Dylan (Maggie's Farm). You can not-so-subtly tell someone they're a dolt by quoting Dylan (Idiot Wind).

When you really delve into his lyrics, they can be both a soundtrack to your life, and provide a convenient template for many social occasions. :D

8. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

This is solid advice, here.

9. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

You've got a lot of nerve. How does it feel? Something's happening but you don't know what it is. The answer's blowing in the wind. I said that.

10. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

11. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

Can confirm.

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Very aware of it, bummer indeed. Thanks for pointing that out. An arduous task to fully put together a book of Dylan's recording output. With a recording career like Bob's I guess no one will ever get a book of that nature fully correct. An enjoyable fascinating read nonetheless.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    antiqueguy19001 likes this.
  13. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

i wasn't really into it until i started listening to full albums instead of just the greatest hits.

14. BobFan115

BobFan115 Forum Resident

For Dylan from Oh Mercy on, I cannot recommend Bootleg Series Volume 8: Tell Tale Signs enough. For "Mod Bob," this is the essential thing to get (imho). Oh Mercy, World Gone Wrong, Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, and Modern Times are all great, but there is something very special about this set. If you can find the 3-CD version, do. If not, the 2-CD version makes the same point (and will make you wish you had the 3rd CD).

15. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

really great when music clicks with someone.
    it has happened to me three times.
    1.the first was with ole bob. i was aware of him growing up in the 70's of course. was in the "blonde on blonde" rocks but don't get the big deal camp for a long time.the only other record of his i had for some odd reason was planet waves. well it was the early 90's and something clicked and dylan made sense. i am now a big fan and like most(not all of his stuff).saw him live twice. first time august 2001 in a small venue outside of baltmore,the old Towson Univesity Gym. One of the greatest shows i ever saw. He was still a guitar slinger the band was smoking and he gave what seemed like a history of rock music lesson on stage that night. in fact at one point was thinking i was seeing buddy holly up there.amazing show. saw him a few years later at one of those minor league baseball stadium gigs and was sitting to far away etc.just got the single CD of more blood more tracks. so good!
    2.captain beefheart- never got him.thought trout mask replica was a joke.as a professional "indie" musician a lot of my peers dug him. well we were on tour in the early 2000's and were hanging out in vancouver BC with not much to do and were hanging out. our bass player at the time put on a CD in the van. it was beefheat's "lick my decals off baby" (the album after TMR,and similar in approach). and man it hit me like a ton of bricks.so good. i am now a true believer in the captain and feel he is one of the most important musicians and poets of all time.oh and a really great painter as well!
    3.most recently and maybe the most surprising.the beach boys.i am shocked but they finally clicked about a year ago. i tried for decades.would give pet sounds a listen now and again but could never get through it (still can't really) and had kinda liked surf's up a bit. of course i grew up with them on the radio and the hits.
    well about a year ago i decided to dig deep on spotify and listen to a few of their albums.the ones that clicked for me were wild honey-sunflower-holland-bits of love you and 15 big ones. also hearing the early records with fresh ears really showed how complex some of those songs are. i found their music ( at least the few albums i have listened to) to be layered and deep and somehow "subversive" (in a good way) .not saying i am a huge fan but don't roll my eyes anymore when thinking about them.

well that is three examples i came up with! happy listening!!!

antiqueguy19001 and Max Florian like this.
  16. Mark Fricke

Mark Fricke Forum Resident

Watch a movie called "Knocking On Dave's Door"

It's a short independent film that hilarious. My wife hated Bob Dylan until she watched that film.

It's a bit of a parody film. In it "Bob" was invited by Dave Stewart to visit him in England, but Bob couldn't remember the exact address. He knocks on a random door and asks if Dave was there. He's told Dave just stepped out (wrong Dave of course, but he doesn't bother asking) and he can wait for him there. When Dave returns the two spend an awkward evening together.

It's a charming film full of Bob Dylan-isms.
    I recommend it

17. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I suggest you listen to Time Out of Mind. It's superb.

JuanTCB, antiqueguy19001 and The MEZ like this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I share a similar path to Bob Dylan. I liked two or three of his hits from the 60s, but the guy's voice plain annoyed me!

But, when the mono remasters came out just over a decade ago, I started listening. I now love those early albums. I don't know what it is about mono, but it made me take notice.

19. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

When? Right here:

"You know, I don't mind him cheatin' on me
    But I sure wish he'd take that off his head
    Your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat."

ianuaditis and antiqueguy19001 like this.
  20. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

Congrats! You are in for a really fantastic and extended period of discovery if you keep exploring Dylan's catalog. As to your question, I HATED Liz Phair and Jane's Addiction the first few times I heard them. But for some reason--probably me wondering what I wasn't "getting" that everybody else seemed to--I would revisit their stuff now and again. And eventually they both clicked big time for, and they're now two of my favorites.

21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

OP - check out the Don't Look Back movie, if you haven't...

wipster and antiqueguy19001 like this.
  22. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Bluepicasso, post: 20418858, member: 93675]" Note, his cds are rather cheap, either used or new[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that most of Bob's releases, whether vinyl or CD, can be had cheaply.

Is he the major artist with the fewest collectable releases? Just what Dylan stuff attracts the high bids?

23. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Probably can get good money for that live "Jack of Hearts"....

24. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Fleetwood Mac
    (Buckingham/Nicks era)

So much music was overplayed and their styles were all over the place.

Then a few years ago I just started liking them.

I'm not crazy over them but I downloaded a lot of their stuff from 75-87, which I never thought I'd do and I became one of those people who immediately site Rumors as one of the greatest albums ever.

25. kirkhawley@q.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Whoah. That's a big expensive package. I own it and I think it's amazing. But it's ROUGH and not for everyone. I recommend sampling before buying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.