I pulled out my old Columbia CD of Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING just to be sure....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Got it today, bought off eBay for 6$. Enjoying it right now. "St Augustine" this very minute, sounds totally different to both the SA-CD and the mono ( which was sheer class).

2. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Well, I sprung for 4633592 on Amazon.co.uk last week and it arrived yesterday - got quite a bit of new music for me to enjoy this weekend (also got the Smile Sessions 2-CD and The Grateful Dead's Europe '72 Vol 2), but I'm looking forward to dipping into this later.

In any event, at only £1.99 + P&P, it was bloomin' good value!

3. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks!

4. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I agree with you about the DCC "Highway 61." It's very warm and Dylan's voice sounds great. But to say the SACD has no bass is just wrong. When I compare, say the DCC "From a Buick Six" to the SACD. I can hear and feel the bass drum on both--a big improvement over the original lp and CD! It's just that the SACD has so much more high end. The DCC is much closer to what a good lp should sound like. But I like the SACD because I also like to hear what the individual musicians are playing, and it's easier for me to hear the non-tack piano in "It Takes A Lot To Laugh" or the organ in "From A Buick Six." The thing about "Highway 61" is that the bass and drums are panned left and right, so the bass is never gonna knock you on your fanny. At any rate, this discussion prompted me to rellsten to the DCC "Highway 61" and that's a beautiful thing!

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I agree with this. I love both the DCC and the SACD Hybrid. I try to remember which one I played last and alternate between the two.

When I bought the DCC, I turned around and sold off the SACD but I found I was missing it, for the reasons you state. So I bought it back, one of the few times I've done that with a CD.

6. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

:righton:

I think we collectors sometimes get hung up in a "which one is the definitive version" when, in reality, more than one version of a title can have something to offer.

Gardo likes this.
  7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

That sums up my opinion exactly. I love having mono and stereo versions of various titles, and I even love having things like the Doors remixes.

And I *still* adore the mono JWH that was issued last year.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The old Columbia CD of JWH is easy to find and mandatory to have.

Evan

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Still want mono vinyl too ! :agree:

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I pulled out my old Columbia CD of JOHN WESLEY HARDING again just to be sure today..

I had my big system fired up and cooking for about two hours before hand..

I compared the first minute of track eight I AM A LONESOME HOBO with the SACD.

IMO there is no doubt that the old cheapo Columbia CD kills the SACD in every way. Notice how the drums on the old CD are MORE lifelike than the SACD? Notice how the bass is actually better and the harp as well? You can hear the back wall of the studio in the old CD version and you cannot on the SACD. Notice how Bob Dylan sounds like a human person on the old CD and he sounds like a recording of a person on the SACD?

Don't know what happened there but I'm just putting it out there that we all need to find a copy of the old disk if we love this wacky album!

Make sure you match your levels when you compare the two. The old CD is about 4 db or so lower in volume..

Over and out!

11. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Does anyone know what kind of acoustic guitar Dylan used on this recording? Nice sound.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

A slightly out of tune one..

Tom34772 likes this.
  13. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Makes it easier for him to sing along with it.

Tom34772 likes this.
  14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I have an original stereo vinyl pressing that I should play someday. How does it compare to the old CD? (I no longer have it)

15. Grabbed a minty copy of this for $5.99 at the local shop today. I'm looking forward to listening this weekend. Of course my Dylan mono box showed up yesterday so it should be fun to compare JWH from that to it too!

16. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

Of course your opinion might differ, but since I got the mono box I haven't gone back much to any of the stereo mixes for the albums through JWH.
    For my taste, the mono mixes are the way to go, especially for JWH.
    The centered bass is awesome.

17. Yeah...don't think I can wait until the weekend...kids may get put to bed early tonight!

18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This place is sick. Like a zombie jonesing for brains, I'm now roaming the internet looking for a cheap 1990 CD of JWH — even though I own the SACD and the mono vinyl — thanks to this thread.

Jam757 likes this.
  19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:agree: Good Luck, :cheers:

20. This is one of the few desirable older CDs I still commonly see in used stores at bargain prices. Most people dumped it when the SACD came out.

21. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

22. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Is there a difference in sound quality with this and the old US Columbia CD?

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Rednax, I'm pretty sure that no one has yet discovered a foreign pressing of a Dylan Cd that has a unique mastering. Overseas pressings are all identical to the common US ones, and that Japanese copy of JWH should be no exception.

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Has anyone determined whether the U.S. CD of John Wesley Harding that Steve is raving about has the same mastering as the old Japanese 28DP CD?

25. rednax

rednax Forum Resident

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a better sounding copy like the Japanese disc of 'Astral Weeks' which was a huge improvement over the US release. I guess it would be hard to improve the sound on the original 'John Wesley Harding' CD; it really is great.