I quit buying LP's

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Rattlin' Bones, Sep 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

Well, I quit buying unless seller has rated LP based on actual listening to them. Play tested.

Visual ratings are garbage. I wish Discogs was more vigilant in enforcing their rating code.

From now on I will only buy, whether via Discogs, eBay or retail store, albums that are play tested and rated, in Mint or NM condition, and with a money back guarantee with free return shipping.

Seems every LP I purchase with great return policy like 30 days and free return shipping, those albums are always perfect.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

clever...; ) Click!

audiomixer, Sean and E.Baba like this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm pretty sure some sellers are just throwing some records out there and hoping for the best. I bought a Linda Ronstadt from discogs that was rated NM. It arrived with multiple light scratches and played noisy. The seller refunded my money and let me keep the rec0rd. I didn't leave feedback so the sellers rating is still great. I haven't played that record since. It's in the trash pile.

If a seller makes me return a so called NM record, they will get negative feedback. I've had one "NM" record that was actually near mint except for a track and a half, which had an unplayable gouge. What the heck were they looking at?

showtaper and audiomixer like this.
  4. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Oh the drama!
    Seriously, take a few days off.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It is aggravating/frustrating buying a NM rated record and getting trash. I mean, NM should be just about perfect.

6. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Please let us know when you find this magical mythical online store that has:
    1) a huge selection
    2) a knowledgeable staff with enough time to playgrade EVERY single album they sell, with 100% accuracy
    3) deep enough pockets to absorb the costs of free returns anytime someone complains

Cuz I'm gonna buy everything from them from here on out! :rolleyes:

Or, conversely, just check seller ratings, send them messages beforehand inquiring about the condition of records you want, and then reach out (POLITELY) if they overgrade. I do this all the time on Discogs and eBay, and wind up getting 90% great records graded accurately for decent prices. The other 10% of the time, I usually get some kind of refund or the seller takes my return.

7. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

i quit buying music

audiomixer, Fullbug and TS582 like this.
  8. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

A crapshoot either way - visual or played. I don’t want a seller playing my LP on a crossley… you never know what these people have gear wise. Buying records is hard.

Tjazz likes this.
  9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

So you haven’t actually quit buying vinyl at all.

But good luck with the new strict buying policy. Be interesting to hear how you get on.

Lost In The Flood and Cody B like this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I suppose it depends. If someone is selling a record for hundreds of dollars, I would expect it to be play graded. The over hundred dollar records I have sold were all play graded. I never had a complaint.

11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I learned long ago that it’s hard to even trust my own judgment in visual grading. I brought home many LPs that I thought looked beautiful and played like garbage. I also have some that looked pretty bad but play great.

Play testing should be the standard.

Rattlin' Bones likes this.
  12. FiveLeavesLeft

FiveLeavesLeft Well-Known Member

I quit responding to clickbait...doh!!!:wiggle:

13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Shouldn't this be in "Off Topic" forum?
    Nothing to do with discussing music.

By the way, I've bought many LPs and CDs from folks on this forum, and I have NEVER ONCE been dissatisfied.
    I haven't bought from Discogs....yet.

14. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

:uhhuh:

15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I quit listening to music.

NP:Take it Easy by the Eagles.

16. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Pssst. :sigh: Just between you and me, there’s some inaccurate sellers out there.

FiveLeavesLeft likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I know...I clicked and laughed...got me again!

FiveLeavesLeft likes this.
  18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

thank god you made this thread

Sean likes this.
  19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I only buy used vinyl on line if the record is NM. Cover can risk VG. Mostly plays as described or close. Also ensure seller has 100% rating.

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

That's fair. I rarely buy records over $50 or so. When I have, I'm usually exchanging many messages with the seller first. I actually passed on a first press Siamese Dream for that reason, it would've been $200 shipped from overseas, seller graded it NM, then pulled the listing after he checked it and basically said, "I noticed some issues, so I wouldn't call it NM. I need to listen & regrade before I list it again."
    I wound up buying two different NM records from him, both in the $60-70 range, and they really did play flawlessly.
    I've gotten burned by a few overseas sellers before, where returns are difficult/impossible, but most are more than willing to offer some kind of refund instead. If a seller has great prices AND grading, I'll probably order from him again.

Rattlin' Bones likes this.
  21. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I no longer have a nose

for news.

Oh the fun of clickbait.

Fullbug likes this.
  22. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

even sealed records can have problems. Most people know when you buy an old stock sealed record you are taking a chance though.

23. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

what about the majority that are under 100 dollars?

24. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I quit SHF!.......
    [​IMG]

Well someday I will join those ranks of members who haven't posted in years.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Fullbug likes this.
  25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I quit listening to music.

NettleBed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.