I think I'm going Mad! (turntables and cartridges) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Therecordjunkie, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I call this good, practical advice. But I'd supplement this with a Shure M75 body and a few styli for 1960's and 1970's discs which are less than perfectly pressed as a supplement. Jico styli will work superbly here. A V 15 Type III is on my want list, for the nicest vinyl pressings I own. And for classical use. And this is on my Technics SL-1500 original model at that.

The Pinhead and MCM_Fan like this.
  2. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Swap cartridges between the tables and re-test?

Pick the best table+cartridge combo, dump the rest?

3. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I've had (am having) a similar experience with my vinyl playback, though I don;t really think of one better that the other. I have 4 TT's with 3 hooked into my main system at any one time - A) VPI Classic Signature with a Soundsmith Paua MC cartridge B) Thorens TD-126 with a VM750SH MM cartridge C) Thorens TD-124 that I just outfitted with a Vas Nova mono for dedicated mono playback and D) Dual 2019 with a Shure V15 Type II. My phono pre is a Modwright PH9.0.

Despite the huge price gap between the VPI setup and either the TD-126 or the Dual 2019 rigs, I generally find myself gravitating towards the vintage TT's when playing any classic rock, electric blues, etc. I also use these TT's for any LP's that I find at thrift shifts/garage sales that are not in great condition. The 126 and 2019 may lack the refinement of the VPI, but they have a gritty, dynamic sense and timing about them that I just find more involving for certain types of music. That said, the VPI/Paua certainly has its place in my system. The audiophile stuff - AP 45's, one-steps, UHQRs, acoustic music, a lot of classical - goes onto the VPI. That setup gives me a lot more detail and air, but its a much more 'polite' playback than the vintage tables.

After having multiple TT's in my system these past couple of years, I can't imagine sticking with one TT anymore. It's really nice to be able to choose what I think matches best with the record I want to hear. And just now starting to really enjoy the dedicated mono I'm getting on the 124!

4. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Law of diminishing returns. Probably you're enjoying the more polite, less analytical sound. The 1200 would be endgame to me.

McLover likes this.
  6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Welcome to the machine.

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. Therecordjunkie

Therecordjunkie Active Member Thread Starter

I wnted to give you an update. I downloaded and took the ABX test. I recorded a sample track from two different records, one from each table and pinned them head to head with the ABX software. In 10 shootouts, I picked the Technics 10 out of 10 on one record and 9 out of 10 on the other. I guess I have my answer.... I didn't color the samples in any way. Thank you, that was a fun experiment! I guess the next question is, where if anywhere, do I go from here? I'm really appreciating all of your alternative suggestions, thank you!

8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Did you use the same cart on both tables?

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

You may just prefer direct drive over belt drive. That E.A.T. turntable appears to be a well built machine, but it is going to feel different than the Technics or any other direct drive table. There's nothing wrong with either approach. Vinyl-philes just have to name their poison and go with it.

10. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

11. Therecordjunkie

I didn't. The E.A.T. had the Soundsmith, which is supposed to be a far superior cartridge. I was giving the E.A.T a leg up. I was afraid of breaking a tonearm wire away from one of the cart connector pins. By the way.. those wires on the E A.T. are so thin, almost hairlike. Swapping carts scares the hell out of me

12. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Well, the cartridge has quite a bit more influence over what you hear.

You may just not like the Soundsmith cart. Or it may not be setup properly.

berlinerpunk and bootbox like this.
  13. Leonthepro

Well, if youre asking me anyway, Id think the preferences would be reversed with a cart swap and given the same cart on both decks it would be quite hard to tell them apart, at least from when Ive tested others it seems that way.

14. Therecordjunkie

Ok, I guess I was being a bit lazy but I was thinking the Zephyr should have easily handled the Dennon DL 301 II. I spent an hour putting the Dennon cart on The E.A.T table and re-took the ABX test. As you guys predicted, the gap between the two tables was much narrower. I used one of the same records from my previous shootout. It's a very clear and open sounding record with sweet sounding cymbals. Everything else was equal to the previous testing. Anyway, here's the results. I took three tests, ten shootouts each, each test being from a different part of the record. 1st test, 6 of 10 for the Technics, 2nd test, same thing, 6 of 10 in favor of the Technics and the final test was in a strong ride cymbal part of the record. 7 of 10, in favor of the Technics.

bever70, Leonthepro and bootbox like this.
  15. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

I've had ridiculous sound quality improvements by raising or lowering the VTA as little as 1mm. I'm not trying to persuade you to keep one table over the other, but for instance if you are thinking you really like the bottom end grunt of the 1200 and can't believe it's not as nice on the EAT table, you could try lowering the EAT tonearm 0.5mm at a time to see if you can 'lock in' the sweet spot. The tonearm doesn't necessarily have to be level, I've had more than one setup where the best sound quality was with the tonearm tail noticeably higher or lower than the headshell, it's all about finding that perfect spot.

16. Last week I was maintaining my TT and snapped the cantilever off my AT-33PTG/II The replacement 33 is already installed. I replaced the 33 in kind because it is the best cartridge I've owned. I also have a Hanna EL and a Denon DL-301MKII and prefer the 33. I use the 33 with a stock Technics SL-1800MKII with a Jolida JD-9 and Premier (Sumiko) SUT. I also have a Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco 750 arm and it is currently used with the DL-301MKII, thru a Mcintosh C2500 pre-amp. The SL-1800 gets 99 present of the playtime. The Hanna EL is has slightly more detailed in the higher frequencies and the 301 has a bit better low frequencies.

17. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I just didn't like my Hana EL and tried every adjustment on the phono stage to try and get the sound I wanted. I was a bit convinced that my Shure 97XE was better than my Hana.
    I adjusted the VTA, realizing the tail was way, way down and all of a sudden, the bass became part of the sound as it was lacking and the soundstage and overall sound quality was improved like no tomorrow. My arm isn't parallel but pretty close to it now. Maybe a tiny bit tail up which I am leaving for now.

Hendertuckie and bootbox like this.
  18. Leonthepro

There seems to be no significance audible difference between the tables. Well done doing all the work. Most members wouldnt come close to bothering.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Therecordjunkie likes this.
  19. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

It's clear you prefer the Technics. Given the price differential, I can understand this as a painful reality perhaps...

Now, do you bother installing the soundsmith on the Technics!

20. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Worth it. Test it before you buy, or ideally have an expert check it out if one is within reach. Mechanically they are complicated and going on 50 years old (!). I also have a 1219 in the closet because something is binding the tone arm and it gets stuck on a groove sometimes. I’m sure its fixable, I’m just lazy. Was hoping to sell, but i fear nobody would want it unless repaired.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Sounds like you should have bought a GR or G Technics 1200! I would expect most audiophile belt drive decks to beat the 1200II apart from speed stability. Could be pitch is a big issue with you. Actually have you considered trying a Project outboard power supply with your C sharp (I'm assuming it has a wall wart like most even fairly expensive Projects (made in same factory)). Possibly only a more upmarket belt drive would satisfy. I'm confident a Michell Gyro, Roksan Xerxes, Notts Spacedeck etc would see off the old Mk II. The 1200G on the other hand runs my Michell Orbe + SME toe to toe in the £3-4K price bracket. To be honest I would expect an unmodified SL1200 to be kind of flat and boring against most decent belt drives north of $1500. It's not in the same league as the G or even GR. Also what phono stages did you try? The right one from modest to mid range could transform what you are hearing?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Andy Saunders likes this.
  22. Leonthepro

Youre suggesting he looks at other tables after not being satisfied with the EAT for 3500$?
    There would most likely not be an audible difference between his 1200 and the GR / G either.

23. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

You listen to music and relax, if you can.

Therecordjunkie and Leonthepro like this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Can you give a recommendation please? :)

25. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Well I don't have a ton of experience with different ones since I don't just have thousands of dollars laying around to try out different models, and I fell in love with mine on day one, so stopped lookin. I have an ANK DAC 2.1 that I built from a kit. It really sounds amazing. Was like $1600 or so, but I've invested a bit in tubes now also.

With that said, $6000 (and in most cases much less than that) could buy you basically any of the most prestigious DACs on the market, any of which I'd be super excited to hear. PS Audio Direct Stream, Chord Hugo TT2, and probably enough for a real Audio Note model. I personally love what the R2R+tube line stage brings to digital so my vote goes for Audio Note, but I haven't heard the other ones in any form, as they're out of my price range, but people speak very highly of them.

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.