I use amazing Sound Application LineStage power conditioners by Jim Weil. New model 2/24 post #160!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 1, 2017.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I like it when someone actually listens to something and they do not hear some sort of supposed "improvement".

Years back, when I bought my first piece of Emotiva gear, their original XPA-2, two channel 250-Watt amplifier (into an 8-Ohm load), I remember reading that they also recommended not putting any of these devices in the electric path. They clearly specified, that their power supply design was all that was needed to provide quality power to the amplifier.

I just use power distribution strips and I'm fine with these.

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  2. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I own one of Jim’s designs, the Sound Application RLS - 1 and I concur with Steve’s findings, they’re simply amazing.

3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You are hearing the sound of mains. If you can borrow a Shunyata Denali, then be prepared for a magnificent shock (pun!). Sincerely, the difference is not possible to appreciate unless you hear it yourself. Frankly, the experience for me has changed the way I'd approach assembling a component stereo system.

Finally, it would be simply fantastic if a few skeptics would actually come forward and show some open mindedness. I have no reason to doubt the product Steve likes. Beyond that line, there's Shunyata, Audience, and Audioquest as far as passive solutions go.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have a Shunyata V Ray from about 10 years ago. Do you know what the difference is between that and the Denali you mention?

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Hi, no. I can say that the Denali is different. For sure. It's the culmination of years of R&D. Sincerely, shoot Shunyata and email. I dealt with Richard and he didn't try to sell me anything. He also didn't take the bait and criticize the competition. You will definitely be able to plug in as many as two power amps (in addition to line components). Never thought power amps would perform well with a line conditioner. Until now!

Finally, it's an expensive product. There's just no way around that. At least for me. And for my system. The power cord recommended for it has a fairly serious MSRP as well, but I have a deal on hold with my dealer for 4 cords when I can swing it. Point being, the Denali and 4 appropriate cords is not a tweak. It's got to be a "game changer" at those prices. I'm more inclined to believe that it is than not. Even essential, perhaps.

chacha likes this.
  6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

THAT is a very good point! I got a conditioner basically for that reason, and was surprised and happy that the TV picture became more grain free. When I asked my wife if the TV looked any different she watched and said it looked better. Somehow, I have not parlayed that into a huge set of speakers :(

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hey there is nothing wrong with that at all! As an electrical engineer, I can't imagine why a fuse (assuming normal use well below its rating) would make any significant difference. But as a scientist, I don't think people are entitled to opinions until they have tested for themselves. I've swapped RCAs and not noticed anything, never tried power cables or fuses, did hear a demo of speaker cable which made a noticeable difference (granted, into a pair of 1 ohm Apogee Scintillas, so an extreme case).

My next comparison project is a little $25 Dayton amp versus my friend's huge Denon receiver. That will be interesting.

beowulf and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have Shunyata’s Hydra 8 V2 and checked the Denali. The differences were so subtle, no reason to change.

beowulf likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

While you have no reason to doubt the product that our host likes, his good friend @Warren Jarrett, who represents one of the foremost line (AN) of audio equipment and has a house dedicated to it, has made a statement of not hearing a significant difference in SQ.

I myself am more neutral on the subject. I do personally believe that the AC electricity that we have in all of our homes, was designed to rum motors like refrigerator's, washing machine's and such. I am fully aware that it would not be a nice clean DC source that would be desirable for audio use.

As warren has graciously pointed out, AN, themselves do NOT recommend using any kind of power conditioner's between the AC mains and their equipment.

I just had pointed out, that when I bought the Emotiva XPA-2 (generation one), they had the same "advise" in their owner's manual.

And, as Steve has indicated, good clean power does not come cheaply! Steve mentions $5k and north.

I do use surge protection, because Florida is the lightning capitol of the world. Even with the surge protection, my processor want out on me, and another replacement went out on me before I bought a 2nd back-up power pack to better protect the present 4k processor.

I also have a power-pack on a SS amp, that I keep behind the TV, that I use with an speaker/amp A/B switch, that I use on the A7's during the day, when I want to have them in the system, instead of burning the tube amps, which I have just now lit up for the evening.

By background is in computer's. In professional installations, we would use massive power regenerator's. They would take AC power and convert it to DC and store it is massive battery banks. It was then inverted back to 120 VAC which went to the orange receptacles that would power the terminal's in the accounting department.

So, I am a believer in quality power from some decades ago. On computer's, you don't get to "hear" the benefits of power conditioning or regeneration. You have to only understand their need and their purpose it to protect the equipment and minimize data transfer errors.

I would probably consider spending the $10k - $15k that I would probably take to upgrade the wiring and to put absolute power conditioning/regeneration into play here. There are just two issues. One, that this motel that I operate was purchased by an investment group for reason's of redevelopment, so it does not make that much sense to do these kind of upgrades.

Two, anything that is going to be effective is also going to be expensive. I would first want to put my dollars into gear. That's where I see the most audible improvements.

I noticed from your photo, before I read it in your comments.

So, why is one side for digital and the other side for analog? Isn't clean power, clean power for everything?

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

It does cost several thousand to get in the ballpark of "reference quality", I suppose. I had entry level Shunyata PS8, Defender, and Venom HC power cord before upgrading. I wouldn't spend a ton on amplification or speakers if I had no intention of ignoring power line.

The Audioquest Niagara 1000 has been well received at its price point. You could always reach out to the Cable Co to see if they have a sample to lend out. What's the harm?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I missed this before. How did you come to get one of Jim's devices? Curious.

12. doak

doak Senior Member

Agreed.
    Recommend 2 dedicated circuits. I use one for line level and one for power amps.
    The system also needs a power conditioner for best performance.

13. doak

doak Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Line level and linear power supplies are fronted by a Blue Circle FX2 X0e CxT.

An Ifi AC iPurufier is plugged into the same dedicated circuit.
    [​IMG]

14. Long Live Analog

Hi Steve,

I got my RLS-1 from Scott Warren who owns Advanced HT/Supra HiFi in Garland Tx. He’s also a dealer for DartZeel, YG Acoustic, Elrod Power Systems, MIT, Playback Designs and others...

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I've heard of Scott. Thanks.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  16. Long Live Analog

He is a good guy, knows his audio gear and has a great system.

17. donkaz

donkaz Active Member

Hello.... I am new here and I was wondering if anyone has tried on Sound Application LineStage power conditioner in All AN system. Please let me know. Thank you

18. Long Live Analog

Hello and welcome,

I believe our host Steve Hoffman uses AN gear and Sound Application. Hopefully he’ll check in and provide details.

FWIW, I use the RLS-1 and it made a world of difference in my system. Highly Recommended

donkaz likes this.
  19. marka

marka Forum Resident

Welcome!
    Presumably you’ve read post#64, per the thread title.

donkaz likes this.
  20. donkaz

donkaz Active Member

Yes :) since this thread started some time ago, I was wondering if any thing changed.... thank you for your help

Long Live Analog and marka like this.
  21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I am looking into the Shunyata Package you had.
    What did you think of it?

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The entry level package? I definitely think that's a great start. You could compare with the entry level Niagara. Maybe check pricing and call each of them to discuss approach and performance. Honestly, you should budget for appropriate power cables for power amp and line components at the same time. Sincerely, give Audioquest and Shunyata a call. Maybe call up the Cable Co as well. Even Music Direct.

Make a decision for a comprehensive upgrade then go for pricing, return policy, free short term financing, etc.

I'd be genuinely surprised if informed listeners failed to appreciate quite a leap in sound quality.

23. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Yes the bundle I believe you had, which is roughly $1,300. at music direct.
    Was thinking of getting that to plug in a Mcintosh 2 channel Amp a Marantz receiver and a few other items (Blu-Ray, CD Player)

jh901 likes this.
  24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I plug my tube amp into my synergistic research 8 uef conditioner. Much better than just into the wall.

Indeed, plugging my vpi prime signature into the conditioner is also better than just into the wall.

25. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I just added a post in another thread about the Sound Application LineStage power conditioner. Basically, that with the Audio Note gear I have in Room 2, this was the only power conditioner (and I tried many) that made a significant improvement to the sound of the system.

Well, I tried a power conditioner...

SandAndGlass likes this.