I Used Tone Controls Yesterday.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by No Static, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:laugh:

2. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Yes my older Denon avr 4802 receiver has a Pure Direct mode that defeats all video and digital ins and outs and display LEDs and is perfect for my surround speakers. My fronts are powered at this moment by my Vincent 236II.
    The tone controls by the way on the Vincent seem to make a slightly digital grating noise weather on or the Defeat button is turned off. To me its a slight problem with the Vincent. When defeated the Vincent is PERFECT, but it is curious, so I leave everything defeated when it comes to Amps and Receivers and Preamps and the sound is better and im not convincing myself of it. Good speaker positioning and room padding and bass absorbtion makes a huge difference which is more analog than engaging buttons no matter how easy that is. But then again I can be wrong,
    Take care, John M.:nauga::goodie:

3. My amp has a volume knob and that is it. I've been listening to music without tone controls for nearly thirty years. I do admit that from time to time I wish I had the option.

4. The preamp I'm currently using has no tone controls, but the amps that drive my main speakers & subwoofers have volume controls. Once in a while I turn the subs up or down a little for some bass control. It's nice to be able to dial in the bass response, but usually it's a 'set-it-and-forget-it' type thing. Does that count as tone control?
    :cheers:

5. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Funny, to my ears I do just the opposite-Bass up, Treble down on classic receivers. All hearing is different I guess, John M.:goodie:

6. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

To me the volume on a Sub is just Volume not tone control. Tone control on a sub might be more the crossover settings and such. I too want more Bass at times and a subwoofer is the perfect (if it is a quality sub) tool for it. Take care, John M.:goodie::nauga:

7. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:cool::thumbsup:

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This thread is like a conversation in the dorm back in 1973.

Your tone controls are too wide and floppy for what you're trying to do.

Don't you realize that what you think needs fixing is a narrow little path of naughty tone? You are plowing through it and way too much more, like a giant, gaping, jagged sound change with the bad controls on your receiver, making hash out of the tonality.

If you want to mess with tone, get a real parametric for a few hundred and figure out how to accomplish what you want without killing the tonality of your music.

Or are you afraidddddddddd? :)

I'd never tell anyone not to f*** with a bad sounding record. Go ahead and mess with it, but do it right. Don't use a chainsaw to cut a single hair.

Seriously, learn how to fix your music the way you want. Get the proper tool. Using those tone controls will never work.

9. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Always wanted to get a Parametric, but did not know what to buy or how exactly to set the damn thing. By ear I suppose. We had similiar talks in the parking lots of my college in the late 70s. We lived Home and drove to NYIT in Westbury...Take Care, John M.:goodie::nauga:

10. jaycaitanya

jaycaitanya New Member

This. There's likely been EQ added at the mixing stage, EQ at mastering – why not a little more at listening?

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

We're lucky now. Back then there wasn't a Parametric in the world for us. Now, anyone can get one, for cheap. Don't be a-scared. Try one. I'll teach you how to mess with it..

12. No Static

No Static Gain Rider Thread Starter

Hey, do you come here to teach me or do I need to fly out there?

:winkgrin:

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

What are tone controls?

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

One of the neat things about computer as source is that there are inexpensive and even free software parametric EQ plug-ins that you can use. Fun :D

I like my software EQ. I use it when it's needed. And sometimes when it is not needed just so I can experiment.

And with my computer I have something better than my old loudness button. I've got a plug-in that is a virtual subwoofer. :eek: Works very well to fix that OU812 CD.

15. augustwest

augustwest Forum Resident

You all sound like the folks on < Head-fi > with all this "neutral" talk. I say adjust it till it sounds good and enjoy. Music, first & foremost should be about fun! . . . . Why I bet they even used EQ to to create the recording to begin with and didn't feel overly bad about it.

- augustwest

16. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Ill do some web browsing and see what I find. Thanks for the kind:help: reply, John M.:nauga::goodie:

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Your home stereo EQ is not mastering. EQ can be added or taken away at anytime. Use it.

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Who needs tone controls when you've got a Grado, a HD650, and Denon D2000 to choose between. :laugh:

19. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

That tempting treble knob should come in handy on old Kinks records/CDs too, turned counter-clockwise! :wave:

20. Having had a fair amount of experience in this area, I can say that the flat ones can be a lot fun to play, while the warped ones will only give you a headache, if they play at all.

:biglaugh:

21. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

What's a good one to look for? I've seen SAE brand parametric equalizers that were made for home use. But, most of what I see are units for commercial sound or automotive use.

22. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

When you are talking baby bump.. ahhh yeah flat is way better... :angel:

23. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

ALL I want on my car audio recevier ---- is a bass and treble dial.

But....... nooooooo.... it's al "electronic" EQ now.

The very idea that one of their 5 default EQ presets would be sufficient for me is just..... Dumb.

And the idea that with my various interests in music, AND, the various formats I listen to: AM, FM, studio CDs, live CDs, bootleg CDs..... that one "User" setting would do.... well that's even more of a dumb idea ! !

I would happily forgo the 6 User EQ level settings, for a simple Bass and Treble dial on my car receiver ! ! You know, something that I can quickly and easily adjust, even mid-song (at very loud volumes) while driving my car.

[​IMG]

Most of the Good live Rock shows that I have attended, have had the guitar sound coming up over the Bass.

But, on some recordings, the Bass is equal to the guitar, or worse, the Bass overshadows the guitar.

The Volume is all relative hear. I don't mind loud bass, but the guitar had better be loud-er !

24. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i use eq now on certain early cds, i drop the high a little, sometimes highten bass slightly. really really helps making them sound better.

25. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

One of the many deciding factors for me buying my 2007 VW Passat was that the sound system has all knobs for sound adjustment (Volume, Bass, Midrange, Treble, Balance, and Fader are all knobs you turn. No buttons to hold down or tap), and on top of that it has the Dynaudio system. It's one of the best sounding car audio systems I've heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.