I`ve Only Sold One LP EVER On Ebay...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by SCM, May 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCM

SCM Senior Member Thread Starter

And that was for a friend who asked me to sell his Prince Purple Rain Lp that he had only listened to side A of it and put it away years ago.
    But now I`m going to be selling some albums that are Mint looking and many still in shrink that I put away 20+ years ago.
    Original pressings of Motorhead, Triumph, Scorpions, Krokus, Y&T also Yesterday and Today, Saxon
    Echo and the Bunnymen and others.
    It`s stuff I have no interest in listening to so it`s time to sell them.
    I also have about 40 sealed miscellaneous albums too

For you seasoned Ebay sellers do you have any advice for me ?

Steve

2. SCM

Anybody ??

3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Check eBay completed. Go under the lowest sales reported for the condition and charge at cost postage.

4. SCM

Thanks Chee... Not sue what "Go under the lowest sales reported for the condition and charge at cost postage" means sorry.

I`m looking not so much for setting prices but more on the In`s and Out`s of selling vinyl.
    Like, what to look out for and what to expect etc etc

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Tell the truth. Take good pictures. Don't overgrade. Buy brand new mailers and filler pads (they don't have to be the fancy Whiplash ones, the default one piece folder will do). Ship on time.

6. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

eBay completed. Just hit that for a specific item. The sold and unsold will all come up. I just undercut the lowest or the same price with lower postage.

7. SCM

Gotcha..Yeah I`ve been on ebay for 25 years buying and selling (not so much selling after a wretched experience a few years ago) and I use that feature all the time...very handy
    Thanks Chee :righton:

8. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I’d recommend thinning the herd somewhere else first. The classifieds here would be a good place. The fees on eBay just make it not worth it to me. I have managed to sell things that sat for months unsold other places though within a few hours on eBay.

9. SCM

Ebay does have the upper hand on exposure that`s for certain.
    I`m somewhat leary after a bad experience where a buyer harvested parts out of an amp I sold then claimed it arrived DOA and ebay/paypal took his side.
    Put me off for a couple years.
    The scenario of someone pulling my mint copy and replacing it with their lesser copy keeps running around in my head.
    How would one protect himself in an event like that ??

Dang thieves out there :(

10. R. Totale

Sell it in person at a record show.
    Mail order always has inherent risks.

eddiel and chazz101s like this.
  11. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

as a seller on ebay, get ready for more wretched experiences as ebay is now a buyers market.

Joseph.McClure likes this.
  12. R. Totale

I don't know, I've been selling things (including records) mail order for decades in a variety of online mail order marketplaces (including eBay) and I have yet to encounter any problem from customers - not once. My last customer return was so long ago I forget what it might have been.

SCM likes this.
  13. glide

glide Forum Resident

Yeah. Don’t do it. Use Discogs instead.

SCM likes this.
  14. SCM

I just came to the realization that aside from the sealed albums, I put these away 26 years ago :yikes: DANG

15. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I sold a lot of vinyl on eBay years ago, and really had no customer issues at all.

I made sure my listings were very precise, with clear photos so that no one got something they didn't expect. Almost everything I sold was NM or very close to it, so complaints would have been difficult.

I packaged well, shipped as soon as I could and provided tracking info.

As @astro70 said, try selling here first. I have bought and sold hundreds of records here and 100% of the people I've dealt with were super friendly, and importantly, knowledgeable. They knew what they wanted and they knew what they were selling. It made every transaction I've had here go smoothly.

Another thing to keep in mind whether you sell here or on eBay, if you make over $600 it will be reported to the IRS and you will get a 1099-K form at the end of the year, so you need to consider that as you decide to start selling.

Good luck!

SCM and astro70 like this.
  16. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Shows first. Don't bother overseas sales, no tracking number you will be reversed by Paypal by the crooks. Stick domestic. eBay completed auctions/set sales are the key to selling.

SCM likes this.
  17. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Agree, I use recycled mailers that protector the corners from damage. I haven't sold a ton, but when I do I list a bunch starting at a buck and combine shipping. Never regretted starting low.

SCM likes this.
  18. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

Don't use recycled Mailers. *Unless they are from Acoustic Sounds.

The white ones are fine, but one use only, don't reuse those. If you are selling NM stuff and want to ensure they get there that way, at least in the nice stuff, spring for Mighty Mailers, or equivalent.

Riktator and monovinyl like this.
  19. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Try to sell them here first.
    If that doesn't work, try Discogs.
    If that doesn't work, try a local record store.
    If that doesn't work, try giving them away on the street.
    If that doesn't work, try Ebay.

20. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My advice? Sell them to me for $100. :D

SCM likes this.
  21. SCM

Am Laughing...Too Funny ! :righton:

zakyfarms likes this.
  22. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Don't even think of selling to a record store. Try a record listing on Craigs. Put their worth on them.....most of your customers will be the usual suspects, record show dealers, internet flippers, in-door flea gurus etc..

23. SCM

I actually have pics of a set of 4 Rush Lp`s and a set of 4 Scorpions listed as a Lot sale on CL NM condition. No price listed
    Plus a list of others I have but no pics
    So far record store owners and typical bottom feeders have responded.

At the bottom I put "my prices are determined by Discogs and Ebay 'sold' so if you`re looking for a steal or to flip...these aren`t for you. Thank You"

For some reason, at least around here, people seem to think that if it`s on CL they can get it for dirt at least that`s been my
    experience on anything I have ever listed there.

Dave likes this.
  24. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

Bottom feeders on Discogs try to take advantage of “make an offer.” Since you only get one shot, be careful about being greedy if you want the item. I routinely reject offers asking 40% off the posterd price.

Dave likes this.
  25. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

They find one poor soul who agrees then it is off to low ball another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.