"I Want To Hold Your Hand" orig 63 Parlophone promo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Hello Mike , im the guy who first stuck his neck over the trench to get shot at by expressing my doubts of its authenticity....and boy was i shot at!

I stayed awake till 4 in the morning (uk time) following this thread, despite needing to be up at 8 to take delivery of a load of beer barrels!!

So , whats the story ?, are we permitted to know the reasons behind her/your sudden "awareness" of a possible problem?

Is there still a possibillity of it being genuine?

2. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I made the seller aware of the possibility of a counterfeit based on your and other responses to my euphoric posting--I admit I have a ton of money tied up in this and I was not aware of counterfeits of this record--the photos looked awfully good. There were 21 bids on this record. Everything looked legit--I SHOULD have checked more diligently into the seller feedback--it might have changed my mind against bidding on it. Live and learn--the seller has been responsive to my messages and has offered a refund-- other than the hassle of paying and now reclaiming my money---I should be out nothing. I owe you and the others my gratitude for bringing up the doubt. My "quest" for this legit 45 continues--She asked that she have until Saturday to consult with her sources and I have agreed. Thanks again for your input. Appreciated.

Mike

3. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Congrats!

A nice aquisition and it looks great. Hope everything turns out to be legit.

4. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Here's pictures of my copy (sorry, as usual they're pretty crappy). Looks pretty much like the OP's copy, which doesn't mean that I don't have my doubts about this one too. Re: the tax code, note that the A-side doesn't have one but the B-side does !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I think that yours looks like an EMI pressing, but that red A does look a little shiny in the photo!

6. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

I agree. It is rather shiny.

7. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

For supposedly the same labels , put onto the same small batch of EMI pressed vinyl 45s at the same time for promotional purposes there is a mighty big diffrence in where the word " DEMONSTRATION" is placed ....(top left hand side)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

The actual cut on Kollektionist's copy looks too modern, and the molding about 5mm from the centre hole of the label is the same as on the 70s green sleeve editions - definitely not a 60s promo :(. The OP's one also looks fake, sadly. Compare the gap on the push out section to that on the picture of the legitmate one.

9. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Like wize the printed cat. Number R5084.

On one of the its nearly all in the red , on the other its nearlly all in the white.

Practically all the text on the labels are in completly diffrent positions to the other

10. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Popsike copy
    [​IMG]

Another popsike copy

[​IMG]

OP copy

[​IMG]

kollectionist copy

[​IMG]

11. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

I think both copies bought to the attention on here are snide.

12. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

Exactly!! it's much less about the style or otherwise of the labels but much more about the pressing differences-just look at the first two copies here,they are 100% correct as all emi pressing were in the 60s but the one in question is based on a contracted out pressing which,while a legitamate stock copy,these were never made as demos.The other copy shown (last big picture)is another fake based as correctly stated on a later 70s pressing (these usually have sharp edges to the disc as well unlike genuine 60s issue)
    hope that clarifies the situation a little.

13. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

If both of these copies from this forum are snide copies ...and one of them certainly is ! ....I wonder just how many collectors out there have what they consider pride-of-place-in-my-collection Beatles demos that they have paid a lot of money for that are in fact worthless junk?

And im speaking as a man who has 2 snide Beatles Demos that i bought at an auction many years ago for relativly cheap price , I think i paid £120 for both , i should have smelt a rat when i picked them up for the barguin price I did ...pre Ebay days

14. thebeatles67

Thanks for the comparison on the popsike copies as well as the other two. The white portion of the labels are certainly a different shade as well as the color of the red A. Thanks again.

Mike

15. thebeatles67

16. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Mike , ive been trying to copy and paste one of the good clean (supersized) images from that auction you posted , but for some reason my ipad will not let me post the picture on here tonight ???...i think its my ipad rather than the forum??

Could i ask you to see if you could do (for direct comparison) on here for me ...AND could you find a genuine one from popsike ....(just search "beatles demo love me do") ...and pick one the pricey selling ones.

Just as a warning thou' this link here ..

http://www.popsike.com/BEATLES-LOVE-ME-DO-DEMO/320577884224.html

Shows a red A demo that was sold as a reproduction , and sold for only £40.

Now, ive no idea of the quality of the repro label shown in that link ive just posted , but going on some of the earlier comments on this thread when there were a lot of high-5's floating around , i dont think it would be too much trouble to pass this on to a foriegn buyer who is caught up in the glamour of UK Beatles Demos but is lacking a little in the knowledge of true colour/texture/typography/contract pressings etc. ...sometimes people want to believe what they want to believe.

I want to make clear here that IM NOT AN EXPERT , just an enthusiast like yourself , and where as im happy to voice my opinion when i have my doubts that its NOT genuine (and theres no harm done if im wrong and it is genuine) , im reluctant to say for certain that it IS genuine then the item turns out to be snide and end up costing someone a LOT of money on my say so.

Ill hang around for a while for any replys , but its nearly 2 in the morning here and i need some shut-eye soon.

Good luck sir.

17. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

18. thebeatles67

19. thebeatles67

This is the copy that sold for almost $10,000 a couple years ago--along with the description from POPSIKE:

This genuine disc bears the correct 'oversize' labels which cover the serrated rim of the disc, with a large red 'A' on the 'Love Me Do' label: 45-R 4949

Both labels also carry the wording 'DEMONSTRATION RECORD - NOT FOR SALE' and 'The Parlophone Co. Ltd..' rim texts.

Paul McCartney's songwriting credit on both sides is misspelt as 'McArtney'

A 'ZT' purchase tax code is stamped around the centre of the 'Love Me Do' label & in both run-outs.

Matrix numbers: 7XCE 17144-1N & 7XCE 17145-1N

Both sides have the special 'promo/jukebox' stamper codes: -/JR & -/JR

20. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

This top copy sold for £4100 , the seller was the well respected Beanos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. thebeatles67

Notice where the song title and artist are written on the labels--the legit copies have the song title in a bold dark print and "The Beatles" on both the "Love Me Do" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand" is lighter------the counterfeit has darker print for both title and artist.

22. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

You can see the "ZT" on the 5th picture of the auction you posted , but not on this picture....no big deal because you cant see it on the BEANOS photo either, its very feint.

Pressings look simular , typeography looks ok , colour and text postioning ok , ..."feels right"

But im NO EXPERT

slight concern is the sheer EX condition of it ?

Your call!

23. thebeatles67

Just so you know Im not bidding on the Love Me DO--only wanted "I Want To Hold Your Hand" -----man the counterfeiting has gotten good over the years.

24. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Just checked his feedback , he has certainly sold some rare stuff in the past in supurb condition ( and everyone seems to agree with his grading) , everything seems to corrispond with the rarity and condition of this rare demo.

Looks good.

But again ....your call!

25. fattyramone

fattyramone New Member

Ahhhhh...ok

Phew , thats a weight of my mind!

Well when you consider that a good counterfieting gang can fool a lot of people with $$$$$ bills or ££££ notes, €€€€€ notes , and they are things we all handle everyday !!

If i had the know how , i know which market i,d target.

Get caught making $$$$$€€€€£££ notes and you get 10 years in jail , get caught making £1000-£5000 fake Beatles labels and who cares??

Anybody who realises hes bought one for £5000 , is either too embarissed to admit it , or is forced to try and resell it on to recoup his large loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.