I want to love vinyl, but...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Sep 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

You like it how you like it...

peskypesky likes this.
  2. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Vinyl certainly isn't for everyone and definitely is "inconvenient". It costs more than digital to get a good rig set up and takes a lot of maintenance and setup care. But for me it's been a worthy chase because once you get everything dialed in the musical presentation is just so much better to my ears. I have a nice digital setup and stream music more than spin vinyl (due to convenience) but when I spin a record it just sounds huge - a massive soundstage that immerses you. It just feels wide open like water flowing through a river instead of a tiny pipe.

3. psulioninks

For those complaining about the high cost of vinyl, I used to think the same. But when you adjust for inflation compared to what you used to pay for vinyl in the 70's and early 80's...it actually has not kept pace with where it should be. Where you feel it is when comparing to the cost of a CD - they have not risen in price much at all.

On_the_dunes, insoc123 and condorsat like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Pretty much the only reason I continue buying them.
    Where mixes/versions either aren't available digitally or have been compromised by awful mastering.
    Didn't we have this thread topic recently? :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

JeffMo, patient_ot and nosliw like this.
  5. psulioninks

Just one?:laughup:

And yet...here we all are again! LOL

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Uglyversal and c-eling like this.
  6. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I’m old enough to have lived through most of the audio delivery systems over the past fifty years. When CDs arrived I gave away all my albums. I thought that CDs would last forever. I now have a stand with over a thousand CDs collecting dust. When streaming came about I thought I would dip my toes into that environment. Today I stream most of the music I listen to along with a few hours of FM radio on the weekend.

puelche, peskypesky and condorsat like this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

With the intro, and thread title I want to love vinyl, but...
    .... agreed, me too.

I subscribe to the following quote, I play both formats and enjoy them
    Agreed, there doesn't have to be only one - why not both???? Can you own and enjoy BOTH and not have to have a "winner". Or was this some growing desire that's been welling up inside to take a jab at vinyl owners? :D

Have you seen this thread:So How Have We Gotten To The Point Where Most Posts On Audio Boards Are Arguments? This thread made that one come to mind immediately.

I recently added a Denon DCD-S10 3/L CD player and an Oppo 105 to my arsenal, suddenly CDs are fun for me again, as much as vinyl. Always liked them in the car, outside, but now I can crank them on my main system (again after years).

Ain't music fun?

morinix, ClassicalCD and c-eling like this.
  8. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie Thread Starter

Ya I know there has been a few like this thread, sorry about that. I didn't feel like flipping through pages or searching! My laziness has no boundaries :laugh:

c-eling likes this.
  9. c-eling

:laugh:
    No problem. I finds these more entertaining than the countless B and related threads started daily :D

peskypesky and Noel Patterson like this.
  10. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

I never thought vinyl sounded better until I heard A Day In The Life on a Gold Note 425 Valore Lite with a basically PERFECTLY set up MP-110. That's a pretty budget cartridge and still cheap-ish turntable, but oh my god it just blew my mind. If you want to love vinyl, I'd recommend improving upon your source... by that I mean the turntable and cartridge. The Debut Carbon is a mediocre sounding table from what I've heard and if you're ready to spend the money you can get something that will sound much better. Or you can just drop vinyl entirely because it will always be work. It's up to you really. My point is, I don't blame you for not being able to hear the benefits that vinyl has with your system.

LeBud and Echoes Myron like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s expensive, no getting around that.

I looked at your equipment and I think you have what you need, 2m bronze is a great cart. I didn’t see a phonostage, if you are using the internal external in the Rega, that is a very rewarding spot to invest. Like I said, it’s an expensive hobby. Part of the fun is the equipment, you do need like that end of it to a certain extent. Being able to compare different pressing and mastering a also plays a part. It’s a very active role of participation from the listener to make it a thing worth doing. If you’re looking for cheap and easy, this ain’t it.

12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I've seen the movie, there are too many spoilers around so we all know what that means.

I personally think that vinyl is not for the OP but I don't think CD's are either because instead of having to turn the record every 20 minutes he still has to change the CD every 40. He should stream instead, far easier and takes less space, wouldn't you agree?

WapatoWolf likes this.
  13. Noel Patterson

Oh no, this wasn't intended to be a jab or argumentative in any way. There is no right or wrong as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps I worded the title poorly. My conundrum is justifying spending my music budget (pffft, like I follow a budget!) on vinyl that chances are, poor quality. I know vinyl can sound amazing, as can digital. I've been rebuilding my music library over the last 3 years after selling it all off years ago (mp3 IS the future...) and thought a huge vinyl library, and cd, would be awesome. But after 3 years of buying music, my frustration with vinyl grows daily.

14. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

I appreciate vinyl for the same reason I appreciate others things I collect. Because I like sorting out the finely crafted ones from the crap. And there’s a lot to sort out.

15. Noel Patterson

I have a large collection of cd actually. Prices new are good and used crazy inexpensive.

16. TheVinylAddict

Yeah, that makes sense to me.... :) agreed.

17. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I love the sound quality ;however, it’s too expensive for me. Inflation or not, CDs are cheaper. If I play a CD in a cheap player, it doesn’t sound good. If I play a record on a cheap player, it destroys the record and doesn’t sound good. This means I have to dump a lot more money into the record player just to prevent groove damage.

I know I might sound like a vinyl hater but I’m not. If I had the time, space, and money I would go back to LPs. Unfortunately I am not.

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

If records don't sound better to you than CDs then there's absolutely no reason to listen to them. If your LP playback equipment is nothing fancy, then so will be your LP playback sound quality. There's lots of inexpensive LP playback equipment out there but if that's all you have then what you hear will sound like the records are being played on an inexpensive system - not so great. Based on your profile page I'd try a Graham Slee Reflex phono preamp. Graham Slee has a loaner program so you can try before you buy. While you're waiting for the loaner to arrive you can put away some money each month towards the purchase price. If the Reflex doesn't allow you to hear the beautiful sound that's on your LPs, and CDs still sound better, then it's time to leave the vinyl game behind. Good luck. :)

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

sounds like you made your mind up. maybe do it like me, reserve it for special recordings that you really value, that deserve to be on vinyl. i like the new jazz reissues or select collectible originals. most new and classic rock gets the cd to file treatment.

20. TheVinylAddict

OK, I get it... thanks for clarifying!

For me, now that my 3 year long gear upgrade journey is near complete---- I am rediscovering more every day how much I love music!

But I enjoyed the gear hunt journey too, almost as much as the destination. We have a great hobby here, and the end result is always music.... I have to keep sight of that.

21. Noel Patterson

I've been weighing this in my mind actually. I know my rig ain't great! I feel like I won't mind the "inconvenience" of vinyl if I know I'm in for a treat when I sit down. Perhaps a turntable upgrade is in order.

insoc123 and oblomov724 like this.
  22. c-eling

Decades of buying/hording :D , I couldn't imagine starting all over today. I'd take up golf, way cheaper. :laugh:

Floyd Crazy and Noel Patterson like this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

I can relate to this completely.

I have boxes of unprocessed LP's, lots of stuff I never heard before. I can go weeks inspecting, cleaning, playing LP's I've never heard --- I love that. It's the new discoveries that are fun too.

This week is one of those weeks where I circle back though, and play my favorites - and it's Jazz week for some reason --- a big chunk of my Jazz collection is in different spots right now played, waiting to be played, queued up, etc. Both LP and CD this time too, as I scored a bunch of used Jazz CD's last week.

insoc123, Floyd Crazy and Quakerism like this.
  24. Noel Patterson

Kinda the way I've gone too. The releases I gotta have I buy vinyl, as well as quite a lot of blue note jazz albums, although the quality of the actual record being shipped from blue note has been terrible.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  25. james

james Summon The Queen

I buy records, CD’s and stream.

My biggest listening dilemma is simply trying to decide what to listen to. Thumbing through shelves of records helps me with that. Partially because of that, I like records the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.