I want to sell my Hi Res collection

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by joshbg2k, Aug 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a collection of let’s say 150 hi res disks, maybe more. They are mostly SACD, many of them first wave Sony discs, a lot of rare ones from back when I spent time trying to hunt them down. Some more recent AP, MoFi, etc. Stones, Dylan, Jazz, and Living Stereo is a good summary of the content.

I don’t have time to part them out, and I’d like to sell the whole thing in one shot. The thing is, that seems daunting too - cataloging, grading, photographing, etc. At that point why not just part them out?

So I’m looking for a little advice on which way to go. Is there a rule of thumb for how to price a collection vs selling individual pieces? Thanks!

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

What I've learnt with selling cds and lps is that the more effort you put into selling, the more money you make. But it doesn't always mean the money covers the extra effort.

The other is, expect to make less when you sell as a lot vs individually. Can't give you a % but if you can get 50% of realistic retail that would be quite the result since most will want to pay much less per disc. Most stores would probably offer 25% or so.

If you sell these as a lot there's no need to photograph them individually. Just make a list and have a photo of the job lot.

It would not take you long to catalogue these into Discogs and grade them at the same time. Rather than agonize over whether there's too many marks to make the cd a VG+ or NM, just go with VG+. You can export your collection as well so you have an instant list.

But if you have many rare items that are valuable, it might be worth exploring selling these individually. If you catalogue everything on Discogs, you can use that info to sell on there. You can simplify things for yourself by offering sales to US residents only. You can also price your discs to include postage. Base it the cost of sending one disc within the US and with media mail that should be affordable. What if buyers buy more than one cd? Don't worry about it. Since each includes postage, you will have enough to cover the cost.

Price the discs fairly, below market value and they should move quickly. If a disc sells for $100 normally, price yours at $65, with best offer. You will make more money than selling to a store and as a job lot.

Or you could do this just for the most valuable and rare discs.

Dubmart, joshbg2k, Dave and 1 other person like this.
  3. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

You can try to post pictures of them in a for sale thread and state your asking price. For condition you can give a range that they all fall in. Good luck.

4. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

How about $500 for the lot and I will take a chance without the list even.......:bdance:

joshbg2k likes this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Discogs will give you the lowest, average and highest. If you register for an account you can click on the history to see the exact amounts and the descriptions, sometimes the lowest and average is brought down from people selling either really damaged items or incomplete items.

For rock and jazz I find Discogs is quite complete when it comes to SACDs.

Ebay completed items is another good one that might give you a more accurate view from the higher end, in general I find Discogs is cheaper for SACDs from a buyer point of view as it's mostly a vinyl focused site.

6. joshbg2k

Thanks all, I think this info is a great start for me. I use Discogs only for the marketplace, but maybe it’s time to add it all there, if only to help potential customers compare prices, etc. It will also help me understand what I have.

eddiel likes this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Definitely worth doing. Luckily with SACDs there's less editions to worry about like you have with cds. So I think it should go quickly. You can use the search function to search via UPC code as well. If you use the phone app it will scan but I find it easier to add stuff to my collection using the desktop site. I actually bought a bar code scanner to help me through it.

8. joshbg2k

Ok, whew, I'm just sitting here watching this hurricane blow through, and I scanned the whole thing into Discogs. 164 discs total (I included the handful of gold rebook CDs I have into this group): Check out joshbg2k's music collection on Discogs

While I was at it I did my OJC/OBC collection as well: Check out joshbg2k's music collection on Discogs

Now that I can see what I have, it sort of looks like there are enough high priced discs that span different genres that it may be worth the effort to part this out.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.