SH Spotlight I was asked how we cut the Creedence 180+ vinyl reissues for Analogue Productions. Photos within..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 18, 2022.

1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Steve:
    I'd read somewhere in another CCR mastering thread that you used John Fogerty's voice as the center reference of the EQ mastering choices.
    Was that correct? If so, elaborate?
    Thanks!

WhatDoIKnow, hi_watt and tug_of_war like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

When he sounds like a human man singing, I stop with the tone shaping and let everything else just fall into place. The exact opposite of what is usually done (brighten up the drums/cymbals, etc.)

3. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Back in the day, would a separate master be made for retail tape production ( cassette, 8 track, etc) or would they just make a copy of the final LP master and use that to assemble the main tape used for duplication?

4. Steve Hoffman

A dupe of the stereo master mixes would be made for the cassette master, open reel 4-track master and for the 8-track car tape master. Those dupes would be then duped to make "bin" running masters for duplication. When the bin running masters wear out, new ones are made from the master dupes.

5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Ahh, thanks.

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

RCA likely sent the metal parts up to Canada from the USA.

McLover likes this.
  7. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I know I’d be the first in line! It’s my biggest repress want from AP, but I can see the label being a bit funny with the Abbey Road cuts now ‘the standard’.

8. murch

murch Forum Resident

I would love to have a copy of that bonus LP that came with the one set, but that seems a pipe dream now.

9. murch

murch Forum Resident

I think the box set bonus lp (which I do not have but want so bad) lists two new stereo "wide" mixes which you mixed from the 4 track quad reel, where did you find the other alternate mixes (lodi, good golly, penthouse pauper) ? I'm also curious, other than the surviving quad mix, do any of the multitracks still exist? Would a 5.1 or atmos remix of the creedence catalog be possible?

10. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Love threads like this. So informative.

I was lucky to find the AP 45rpm “best of” box set a couple years ago at a reasonable price. It is the best I’ve heard that material sound. @Steve Hoffman, did you do anything different when mastering or cutting those compared with the 33s (other than the speed, obviously)?

Also, I assume you guys didn’t cut a CCR compilation at this time, like Chronicle. Was that ever discussed?

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That set is in my top five favorite box sets of any format. Beautiful sounding records. Boy, I’d love them to do Chronicle; the original Fantasy release, well as the repress, sounds nothing short of horrible. No low end whatsoever, inner groove distortion…all the goodies of vinyl hell.

snorker likes this.
  12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I grew up with Chronicle, so I have a soft spot for that compilation. Unfortunately there isn’t a good version on vinyl. :shake:

DK Pete likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Even though it could have easily been a triple album, it’s as good as basic compilations come…literally one great song after the next. I’ve always been a fan of comps of my favorite bands even if I already have everything. Steve, if you guys are listening, at least two of us are on bended knee here for a Hoffman/Gray Chronicle.

14. Steve Hoffman

All the multi-tracks for CCR are safe and sound.

15. Steve Hoffman

Upped the volume 2 db or so. We wanted people to buy the albums so no comp was needed..

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  16. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I got one of the stealth copies of Bayou Country when they first came out.

When I bought it, I was figuring it was one of the Scorpio specials. I know they're hit or miss, but I gave it a shot.

I was stunned at how good it sounded when I played it. I have very, very modest equipment and I still noticed the sound quality. I checked the run out after playing side one, just for the heck of it and was quite surprised at what I saw.

If you can find a new one out it the wild, grab it! I see that Bayou Country is selling for $75+ now, so I'm afraid these won't stay inexpensive in the second hand market.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  17. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

so these are no longer available?

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Read the thread. I posted about this.

marcb likes this.
  19. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Are dupes made from master tapes before remastering
    so as to not handle delicate masters for splicing, etc?

ETA: Answered in post #96.

Thanks for the information. It’s a steep walk for my brain,
    but I relish a good hike! EQ is a vast subject.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022

20. thank you

21. recordhead

recordhead Forum Resident

I bought this from amazon link. What arrived was the Universal Back To Black Made In Czech Republic.

WhatDoIKnow and eclecticfiend like this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I’ve found it’s very difficult to know if you’re getting the correct version of anything from Amazon. Unless what you’re specifically ordering has just been released, you take a chance.

Dawg In Control likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The B2B is from 2015 when the Amazon link is for the 2014 which is the right pressing and the same link I used to order mine (confirmed to be SH/KG).

So they must've changed the product without changing the product page. Thankfully, vinyl can be returned easily to Amazon.

WhatDoIKnow and Soundslave like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Bummer that happened!

WhatDoIKnow and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Wally Heider, on Selma. Didn't know they were there. You know where they were before, or after?