SH Spotlight I was asked how we cut the Creedence 180+ vinyl reissues for Analogue Productions. Photos within..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

would be nice to have it repressed for all us young folk

this_machine and dasacco like this.
  2. murch

murch Forum Resident

It's this release here, it has four songs from Green River cut at 45rpm,

Green River, commotion, Bad Moon Rising and Lodi:

Url: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Songs From Green River

Each "best songs from" album that appeared in the "absolute originals" 45 rpm boxset was also sold separately, (except the bonus lp). However this Green River release is the first one I've come across that has a different mix of one of the songs (Bad Moon Rising).

Although not listed on Discogs in the deadwax it has what looks to be KG and SH @atm (although it's hard to read)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  3. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

I got the most recent Fantasy/Craft releases of Green River, Bayou Country, and Cosmo's Factory. Still want to get Willy and the Poor Boys

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My s****y mix. Ignore it.

5. murch

murch Forum Resident

Sorry to keep pestering, but I don't quite understand - do you mean that this Bad Moon Rising mix is the alternate mix you made from the quad tapes? I know that on the bonus lp in the absolute originals box set there is an alternate mix of Bad Moon Rising (called the "wide stereo mix") - is that was this is? Maybe it ended up on this "Songs from Green River" lp by mistake instead of the original album mix?

6. Steve Hoffman

There are only two mixes I ever used. The original and the remix. If it ain’t one, it’s the other!

Soundslave and murch like this.
  7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

cutting lathe.jpg
    SV-3900.
    Panasonic SV-3900 on thevintageknob.org

McLover and PH416156 like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

I'm remembering now. Chad has us do a bunch of test cuts at 45. One used the original, the other the remix. Guess he chose the remix one and decided to issue it.. Hope this helps.

Soundslave and murch like this.
  9. murch

murch Forum Resident

Yes definitely. I'm guessing then that the Songs from Green River 45rpm that comes in the Absolute Originals box set has the album mix, and the Songs from Green River 45rpm that was sold separately has the alternate mix. Now I'll compare the 45rpm Lodi with its 33 version since it's on the same side as the alternate Bad Moon Rising. Thanks again

10. Steve Hoffman

Lemme know!

11. reidc

reidc Senior Member

and I just this afternoon played my AP Cosmos Factory Test pressing!!! sounds fabulous.

Chris

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Bothe Absolute Originals Box sets (33 and 45) came with a bonus 12” 45 rpm containing five tracks, two of which (“Proud Mary” and “Bad Moon Rising”) were “wide stereo”. According to the booklet that came with the box, these mixes were prepared in 1975, concurrently with a preparation of quad mixes. For unknown reasons, the side of the bonus 12” with the wide stereo “Bad Moon Rising” also included “Lodi”, making the tracklisting identical to side B of the standard EP.

My guess is that in preparing the standalone 45 rpm EP of Songs from Green River, they pulled the wrong stamper. The dead wax for the “bonus disk” with the wide stereo version of “Bad Moon Rising” is:

GREEN RIVER- 45-B2 KPG&SH@ATM. On outer rim of deadwax: 9754.2(3)

The matrix info for side B of the Songs from Green River included in the box is:

GREEN RIVER- 45-B. KPG@ATM. 8313.2(3)

murch likes this.
  13. murch

murch Forum Resident

Thank you for this info! I will confirm the matrix when I get home later. I couldn't hear a difference with the 45 Lodi mix vs the 33 rpm.

I did find this quote elsewhere on the forum today, from when these first came out. looks like there was definitely a manufacturing issue:

I picked this up recently and CCR never sounded better! This is a wonderful boxset for CCR fans. If you don't own it, get it while you still can.

I have a question about the narrow vs wide stereo mixes. I was expecting the narrow stereo mix for "Proud Mary" on LP #2 and "Bad Moon Rising" on LP #3 with their wide stereo mixes only on the Bonus LP #8. Instead the 2 songs have the same wide stereo mix on their original LP #2 and #3 and also on the bonus LP #8. No biggie, but I am curious why the narrow stereo mixes were not used on LP #2 and #3.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  14. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Sounds like we have an AP-CCR-GATE 2023 on our hands

murch likes this.
  15. murch

murch Forum Resident

I believe this only happened in the 45rpm sets?

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Misread your post. Deleted. Yes, I am not aware of anything with the 33 rpm sets.

murch likes this.
  17. murch

murch Forum Resident

Okay just had a chance to check the deadwax and yes, the standalone side 2 of the 45rpm Songs from Green River is GREEN RIVER- 45-B2 KPG&SH@ATM. On outer rim of deadwax: 9745.2(3) (note that the number on mine is 9745.2(3) and not 9754.2 (3) - but everything else matches)

So what's great for me is that I got the "bonus tracks" by accident without having to mortgage my house to buy the box (although I cannot figure out if Lodi is actually different). I also just purchased the Songs From Bayou Country standalone 45, will get it in about a week and I'm hoping it will have the "wide stereo" mix of Proud Mary on it.

Soundslave likes this.
  18. murch

murch Forum Resident

I can confirm that the standalone release of the 45rpm Songs From Bayou Country has the same "wide mix" of Proud Mary featured on the bonus disc in the larger set.

So if you can't find or buy the Absolute Originals box set to get the bonus tracks, it appears they used those stampers on the standalone "Songs From" releases from Bayou Country and Green River. I really like the alternate mix of Proud Mary, the album version has some hiss, and the alternate mix is a lot clearer.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Songs from Bayou Country

Url: Creedence Clearwater Revival - Songs from Bayou Country

Shared from the Discogs App

19. Steve Hoffman

2141 and MLutthans like this.
  20. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, remember it well. This machine got tons of use doing film audio transfer work at Saul Zaentz Film Center. Good stuff!

21. Steve Hoffman

Didn’t cost much , either.

2141 likes this.
  22. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, a true workhorse! I'm sure the reasonable price factored into the center's decisions about using them. I forget how many we had, but there were quite a number of them in use. Lots of sound effects, etc. recorded in the field would be transferred using these machines. Back when people actually recorded their own sounds at times. It was fun! :agree:

23. Steve Hoffman

Too bad the medium itself was so flawed.

24. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

So true. Nagras were the way to go, but once digital started coming in suddenly these Panasonic machines started getting a lot of use.