I will no longer sell on ebay.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by JBStephens, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

And here's why.

I sell these CD's for $15.95. Not only is ebay taking 15% of my price for their fee, Pay Pal is going to take another $1.00 leaving me with only 79% of my sale price. That's in addition to their listing fee. As if that weren't enough, NOW they're telling me I'm only allowed to charge $4.00 for postage which costs me $5.25. That's the last straw.

So long, ebay, it's been nice knowing you.

http://www.desideratijams.com/noebay.jpg

2. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

I suppose it doesn't make sense anymore to sell common CDs individually based on that math. The only way it could work is if you are doing it in bulk and can accept a narrow profit margin.

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Nowadays I buy most of my OOP/secondhand CDs on Amazon, where the canned listings seem more complete and seller descriptions more specific -- just try finding a classical listing on eBay/Half. Couldn't tell you off the top of my head Amazon's commision structure, although they do limit sellers to $3.99 shipping charge for Media Mail.

4. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I haven't sold on ebay for a while but I was hoping to get back to it soon. But this is effin' ridiculous. Apparently, unless you are selling great works of art, ebay is not the way.

I always use good quality shipping materials, but you know, they cost money PLUS the cost of postage. With a limit on postage costs, what can you do?

What are the current alternatives? Craig's List? Doesn't Yahoo have auctions now? What are their fees?

5. audiofiles

audiofiles New Member

What really sucks is they make you use paypal but can't charge the fees to the buyer unless they are incorporated into the price. The thing is when you do this ebay and paypal take more fees. I believe this is illegal but they seem to get away with it.

6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam Thread Starter

Well, that's the thing that really got my goat about ebay. They weren't saying you can only charge $4.00 for media mail... they are saying $4.00 for ANY mail, and I use Priority Mail, which does cost more than that, about $5.30 with actual postage, packing materials, etc.

I had been charging $6.00 per CD, so I was "gouging" people for 70 whole cents for my time and effort, whoooo. My crime, my shame, I hang my head. Nobody ever complained, though. They'd rather get their item in two days, than "maybe a week". Considering all the production time and effort that goes into actually creating and printing and burning CD's, I really wasn't making all that much at $15.95, believe me. But that's not the point. The point is, everybody has a "line" that, when it gets crossed, they say "enough is enough". And dictating to me what I may charge for shipping when they have no idea of the actual cost was mine.

One more shove from ebay as they continue their (successful?) drive to banish the "little" sellers.

7. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

I have not sold on eBay for two years for similar reasons. Say good riddance and be done with them...

8. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Boy you guys are getting yourselves all in a tizzy and you don't even understand the rules.

eBay states that your first flat rate option (which can be media mail if you want it to be) must be within the maximum. $3 gives you up to 3 pounds for media mail!!! You can offer another rate of your choice, that can be a Priority mail or first class rate and it can be as high as you want it to be. You can also offer a separate international option of your choosing.

Isn't anyone else interested in sharing the truth here? Go ahead and hate eBay if you want but at least hate them on the facts, not made up understanding of the rules. :crazy:

By the way, try it yourself. I just did.

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It's $2.99 for a CD. And it's cheaper to ship via First Class than Media Mail. (Though I fear someone has used MM in sending me two CDs.)

10. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

The problem with amazon (for me anyhow) is I hardly ever get a CD as described.

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I like amazon, but it feels more expensive to sell on than eBay because the deductions come straight out of your payment (eBay gets your CC later). I have always got good buying deals too (it's surprising that many CDs really can't be found in the local stores here)

Buyers are very reluctant to leave feedback on amazon. I'm at 0 but have sold at least ten CDs over the last two years, some for over $50. Amazon automatically sends out 'rate your seller' mails to buyers.

13. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

I quit ebay as well, after 10 years selling there. I now no longer buy or sell there, instead I now buy and sell on Amazon. I like it a lot better both ways.

14. JBStephens

I had Priority Mail checked when it told me that I could charge no more than $4.00 postage.

I do not "hate" ebay. That's not a word I bandy about with reckless abandon. Their fees have become exhorbitant, their listing mechanisms bloated and confusing, and their rules and policies unfathomable, so I choose to longer donate to their cause. That isn't hating them, that's simply making a choice. I never said I hated them.

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

You're right, Amazon allows sellers to charge $2.99 shipping for a CD and $3.99 for a book via Media Mail. Higher charges for expedited shipping are also available, but must be activated by the seller.

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Your first option must be within their set shipping price. It doesn't matter if you pick priority. Your second option can be priority at whatever price you want.

I don't know. I just listed that Bowie CD (above) in about 1 minute. Part of their listing process being convoluted is that you get options you don't get on Amazon. For most average CDs Amazon is much easier but Amazon is also not flexible. Amazon is also more expensive.

17. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

But let's be clear. Amazon does not state "media mail" anywhere. I found that unless a book is really heavy it's still best to go first class. Folks love it when they get their book fast!! $2.99 for an average priced CD is plenty for shipping. First class mail is the same speed as Priority unless you're going across country. Most CDs cost $1.68 to ship first class. That leaves over $1 for materials.

18. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

I hear that. I haven't sold on eBay since late 2004; too bad I can't
    sell my user ID with nearly 1500 positive feedbacks. Oh well. :sigh:

19. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

I charge $2 for all my shipping FIRST CLASS and if you look at my feedback people rave about the Fast Delivery.

This is all it should cost for Shipping a single CD , in fact the $2 usually ( 97%) of the time gives you an extra 15 / 20 cents for your packing material.

I have also bought from people who charge $3/4 dollars shipping and sometimes it takes a week to get to me. Including Amazon , these people are charging waaaaaaay to much for shipping and you have to wait a week .
    I send First Class and people are getting it in 3/4 days tops !!!!!!!

This is not Rocket Science

20. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Right !!!!!...people love getting stuff fast !. First Class is faster and sometimes cheaper than media ( unless a book is really heavy) .

21. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

$5.30 to send a CD, do you use Priority?

22. magick28

magick28 New Member

Now if they would make the same rule about shipping dvds,I still see some people who carge $7 to ship a dvd that takes up to 21 days to arrive,talk about high shipping charges.

23. JBStephens

Absolutely. I've gotten enough broken jewel cases in "regular-mail-padded-envelope" shipping that I don't want to use it for my own customers. A cracked jewel case is no big deal, but it is less than perfection, and I don't want my customers to receive any less.

But I do understand ebay's reasoning. I once saw a watch for $9.95 and $298.00 shipping. :eek:

YET - this is a quote from ebay itself!

"Sellers may charge reasonable shipping and handling fees to cover the costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the items they are selling. While eBay will not prescribe exactly what a seller may or may not charge, eBay will rely on member reports and its own discretion to determine whether or not a seller’s shipping, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive. Shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price."

Underlining is mine. So they break their own rules?

24. Where are you going to sell now?
    GEMM, Netsoundsmusic,Amazon, or anywhere else?

25. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

As a buyer I do get tired of clicking on the low priced CD's on EBay (usually sold by a few of their stores) and finding out shipping is 7 or 8 bucks. I would rather see the CD priced realistically higher and with a reasonable shipping rate. Makes it much easier to compare when there area a lot of choices for an item you are interested in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.