Iain Matthews Appreciation Thread--solo, album by album + track by track (pg. 18)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jul 19, 2017.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Right As Rain...

Iain Matthews with Steve Postell performing "Right As Rain"
    live at Russ & Julie's House Concerts on February 10, 2018.

The song was written by Michael Fracasso and Iain Matthews.
    Iain's studio version can be found on the
    2018 Matthews Southern Comfort album "Like A Radio".

Keepin the Iain THREAD ALIVE~

:edthumbs:

Of all the artists I've followed for the last 60+ years..Ian is in the cream of the cream and hasn't lost a step... vocally, performance-wise or on record!

Chills.

oboogie likes this.
  2. lemonade kid

3. lemonade kid

A fantastic old Fairport Convention classic...
    reimagined in 2015

Sloth

oboogie likes this.
  4. lemonade kid

Pebbles In The Road

Iain Matthews and Egbert Derix perform "Pebbles in the Road" at Russ & Julie's House Concerts
    in Oak Park, CA on Friday, January 30, 2015.

The studio version of the song can be found on their 2014 duo album "In the Now".

oboogie likes this.
  5. lemonade kid

Buddha Dials Your Number...

Love Egbert. Leo adds some nice notes.
    Love Ian's percussive strumming

TV-Limburg appearance by Iain Matthews, Egbert Derix, and Leo Janssen.
    'Buddha dials your number' from the album 'IN THE NOW' (Universal/Verve)

oboogie likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

Can't believe how wonderful this is to see!

Fairport Convention & Matthews Southern Comfort -
    Live At Maidstone Castle 1970 | Tony Palmer Films

By 1970, Fairport Convention had been together as a band for some three years. During this period, the band had recorded and released five studio albums, with one of the albums, Liege and Lief, being hailed as genre defining. At the time of the filming of this performance, the band had just recorded their most recent album Full House, with the line-up featuring founder members Richard Thompson and Simon Nicol, alongside Dave Pegg, Dave Swarbrick and drummer Dave Mattacks.

This line-up was - and still is - considered one of the key line-ups of Fairport Convention, although the band only managed one studio and (released much later) one live album. Apart from the footage contained in this film, the Full House line-up was unfortunately never filmed commercially until reunions at the band’s regular Cropredy Festival years later.

The film, directed by renowned British film director Tony Palmer, captures the band at the Maidstone Fiesta during the summer of 1970 as they run through their set of time. This included various jigs and reels, and the songs Sir Patrick Spens and Now Be Thankful.

Now Be Thankful, incidentally, although originally recorded for band’s album Full House, was even released at the time as a single. The film also features two songs from Matthew Southern Comfort, the band led by former Fairport Convention member, Iain Matthews. As well as having the Fairport connection, Matthews Southern Comfort would also go on to have a massive hit single with a cover of the Joni Mitchell song Woodstock in late 1970.

The film has only recently been rediscovered and the restoration overseen by Tony Palmer. BONUS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIMy_

... Exclusive interview filmed in spring 2007 with director Tony Palmer. He explains how he first met Fairport Convention, his thoughts on the band and the film over thirty five years later. Fairport Convention

1. Various Jigs & Reels Warlock Music 2. Sir Patrick Spens Warlock Music 3. Now Be Thankful Warlock Music Matthews Southern Comfort 4. My Front Pages Howard Beach Music Inc. 5. Southern Comfort Warner Bros. Fairport Convention 6. Flatback Caper Warlock Music 7.

Jenny’s Chickens & The Mason’s Apron Warlock Music Fairport Convention: RICHARD THOMPSON - Vocals, Guitar DAVE SWARBRICK - Vocals, Fiddle, Mandolin DAVE PEGG - Vocals, Bass Guitar, Mandolin DAVE MATTACKS - Drums, Percussion SIMON NICOL - Vocals, Guitar, Electric Dulcimer

Matthews Southern Comfort: IAIN MATTHEWS - Vocals Guitar GERRY CONWAY - Drums GORDON HUNTLEY - Pedal Steel Guitar

Edited & Directed by TONY PALMER Bonus Material - Interview with Tony Palmer Executive Producer: ROB AYLING package design by Mark Wilkinson

FIND OUT MORE: Gonzo Multimedia: http://www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/ Gonzo Multimedia FB: https://www.facebook.com/Gonzo-Multim... Tony Palmer: http://www.tonypalmer.org/

thematinggame and oboogie like this.
  7. lemonade kid

Meet on the Ledge 2020 – Fairport Convention & friends

In isolation...how lovely. WOW! Beautiful.

thematinggame and oboogie like this.
  8. lemonade kid

Some more stunning jazz from
    Iain Matthews & The Searing Quartet

Randolph Scott

[​IMG]

AllMusic Review by François Couture

This is not typically what you are looking for in a Iain Matthews record. For Joy Mining, the Fairport Convention co-founder and dignified U.K. folkie joined forces with a Dutch jazz ensemble, Searing Quartet, and its leader, pianist Egbert Derix.

It seems Matthews always dreamed of making a jazz album, so he took his time and, instead of opting for a jazzified set of his classic songs, he co-wrote a whole (12) set of new songs with Derix. As a result, this album is not Matthews plus jazz band, or jazz band plays the hits of Matthews, but a bona fide collaboration between an A-list lyricist and a very good jazz songwriter. Sure, the album has a strong easy listening/baby boomer flavor, but the match is so perfectly made, and the songs so addictive, that you can only bliss out to Derix's velvety motives, Peter Hermesdorf's romantic sax lines, and Iain Matthews' experienced, well-honed voice, just smoky enough to make the project work.

Highlights include "St. Theresa's Ghost" ("She won't recall...fair times at all"), "My Town" ("Let's go back to your town/We can't go back to mine/My town hit the poorhouse in 1969"), and "Reservoir" ("You are my reservoir/Life on a distant star"). Even when Matthews sings about forgotten cowboys ("Randolph Scott"), his words ring true and echo through Derix's piano keys.

Iain Matthews has been quite vocal about Joy Mining being the best album of his career and, honestly, even though it stands outside of his regular productions, it's hard not to agree.

oboogie likes this.
  9. lemonade kid

Iain and Egbert..live

Giving a soft jazz treatment to Iain's Man In The Station

oboogie likes this.
  10. lemonade kid

Iain Matthews/Egbert Derix...In The Now

Monkisms

oboogie likes this.
  11. lemonade kid

I listen and watch this OFTEN! Love it so much...

"A super-groovy rendition of Iain Matthews' ‘Back of the Bus’ with Richard Kennedy on guitar and Mike Roelofs on Fender Rhodes Piano. Recorded live at Bürgerhaus Helibronn-Böckingen, 17th December 2004. This version features as a track on the double CD that comes with the Deluxe Edition of Iain’s memoir 'Thro’ My Eyes'. Get yours here: http://www.route-online.com/all-books..."

I just love to watch Richard Kennedy dancing and rippin' on his acoustic guitar!

Back Of The Bus

oboogie likes this.
  12. lemonade kid

One of my all time favorite Matthews songs from a somewhat lesser known Iain LP,
    but one of his best albums IMHO...if we had to choose from the long list of so many great ones
    by Mr. Iain Matthews.

It is also worth noting, if you all remember, every track is penned by Iain, save one,
    which is co-written by Iain and Michael Fracasso.

:righton:

The Great Afterthought, from A Tiniest Wham

AllMusic Review by Evan Cater

A Tiniest Wham finds Ian Matthews moving with assurance in the direction of acoustic pop. Matthews essentially eliminates the electric guitars that dominated his previous effort, Excerpts From Swan Lake, and sticks faithfully to his Epiphone Cortez acoustic. And yet the record does not sound "stripped down" or under-produced. If anything, A Tiniest Wham is more ambitiously -- and far more vibrantly -- produced than its predecessor. Matthews is joined by two highly talented fretsmiths, Bradley Kopp and Jim Fogarty, and the three of them apply a shiny multi-layered acoustic sheen to the songwriter's finely crafted tunes.

The mix also benefits from an energetic use of percussion, bass, and mandolin. A major theme of the album is captured in a quotation from the Japanese artist Hokusai that is found inside the CD's jewel box: "I have been in love with painting ever since I became conscious of it at the age of six. I drew some pictures I thought fairly good when I was 50, but really, nothing I did before the age of 70 was of value at all."
    This concept of the ever growing and maturing artist is foreign to pop music, rooted as it is in youth culture and rebellion. But Matthews, a venerable rock veteran, nonetheless asserts that age and wisdom can enrich an artist's latter day efforts.

"I'm Alive" is a sort of survival anthem that declares, "I don't know if you appreciate what my commitment's about/I'm a little shy of 'Surf's Up' but deeper than 'Twist and Shout.'" The record's most enjoyable track, "Funk and Fire," explores the crash and burn mentality that runs through rock history in lyrics that are replete with clever allusions to major music heroes. The lyrics of both songs reinforce the theme of the aging artist's growth and durability, but the strongest example of that phenomenon is the vitality of the album itself.

With A Tiniest Wham, Matthews has forcefully demonstrated that he's only getting better as time goes on.

:tiphat:

Keepin' the thread alive...thanks all – LK

SquaRoots and oboogie like this.
  13. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

Just finished reading Iain's autobio.
    I think it's an impressive and very sincere 'review', in several ways, of his professional as well as his personal life.
    Honest and 'disarmingly', sharing his thoughts on all ups and downs in his truly eventful life.
    It also goes into detail on practically all the albums he's recorded as well as every band and project he's been involved with.
    I enjoyed it tremendously. Strongly recommended!

(Too bad I didn't get the complementary CD when I purchased the book.)
    Anybody know if any of the tracks herein are 'previously unreleased'? [The collector asked discombobulatedly]

I think one of Iain's most interesting views is that, contrary to most of his fans, he holds the Valley Hi album in quite low esteem.

One of my fondest memories of getting to know his music, post Fairport that is:

oboogie and lemonade kid like this.
  14. lemonade kid

Yeah...my Valley Hi white label promo is a treasure! As is the music within...

oboogie likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

I think Iain's post 80's material starting with Pure and Crooked is his strongest
    and most consistent...how Iain gets better and better with age is astounding!

This takes us waaaay back..so cool
    Al Stewart & iain Matthews at Cropedy

Meet On The Ledge

oboogie and SquaRoots like this.
  16. lemonade kid

Iain & Egbert in 2012

Man In The Station...so damn great

oboogie and SquaRoots like this.
  17. lemonade kid

Iain and Egbert on making "In The Now"
    Words by Iain, music by Egbert...
    to my ear, Iain has always made everything he does his own,
    whether it is completely his own or co-written or covered.

Maybe my favorite album by Iain...certainly as consistent and good as Iain gets.

40+ minutes examining the depth, power and beauty of Iain's talent.

Route TV

A documentary on the making of Iain Matthews and Egbert Derix's album 'In The Now' which was released on Verve Records in 2012. Read more in Iain's memoir 'Thro' My Eyes'. Details to be found here: https://iainmatthewsmemoir.wordpress.... Iain Matthews website http://iainmatthews.nl/ Egbert Derix website http://www.egbertderix.com/ Route http://www.route-online.com/

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    oboogie likes this.
  18. SquaRoots

lemonade kid likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

No!

I have been 'locked out' of the forum for 2 weeks due to a computer malfunction that zapped my passwords. I am back, finally, and this looks to be a NEW find (at least for me!) that I will try to cover next!

Thanks!!!!

:tiphat: Do you have it? Is it a UK/Europe release only? It's not on Iain's home page/albums list.

:edthumbs:

20. SquaRoots

I don't have it and I haven't heard it either.
    I just found the Discogs entry (as in link above).
    Cheers, Sq.

21. lemonade kid

Wondering if this is a Dutch release only...it looks to be a reimagining of Iain's classics by The Salmon Smokers (all Dutch players?) and Ian.

Here is a live one:
    Wonderful stuff

[​IMG]

oboogie likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

So it looks to be brand new (2020) and is quite nice! Looking to find much more on this! Thanks for the heads-up, @SquaRoots !!

Not sure if it is a live or in-studio recording.

Hmmm....it is looking more like a Norwegian band.

[​IMG]

oboogie likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

Iain Matthews with The Salmon Smokers
    From a private party hosted by friends and colleagues in Oslo (2018?). Good times for sure!

Iain can't rest on his laurels and we are the lucky one to experience it!

Wonderful! Ballad Of Gruene Hall

SquaRoots and oboogie like this.
  24. lemonade kid

Another we have to pursue!

Iain & Egbert..Afterwords!

Fishing

oboogie likes this.
  25. lemonade kid

Iain Matthews with Andy Roberts

The Economics of The Rate and The Snake (Live)

oboogie likes this.