Ian Anderson to release sequel to TAAB, April 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WPLJ, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

A sequel
    A cry for attention, money, and relevance

"So I guess I’m just having a slightly Roger Waters selfish moment and making people realize I am the author of this, not the members of the band that were there in 1972."

good grief

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Re the 1972 band: "Three of them don’t play music anymore." True for John and Jeffrey, but I had thought Barrie was getting back into it, although perhaps he stopped again.

Thanks for the interview. Ian is always well spoken. A bit arrogant at times, but I have read some good comments about this upcoming release so perhaps it will live up to the hype.

3. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Not money. He knows he won't profit from it.

4. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

This + 2.
    Martin has been an integral, and I dare say the most consistent, component of the Jethro Tull sound for over 40 years.

In my opinion it is not Tull without him.

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Again, I don't think it's being marketed as a Tull album. It's being marketed as an Ian Anderson solo album.

6. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

I think with certain bands, a single key member can essentially serve as the de facto band itself with any other group of musicians. This has been done in the past with the Waterboys, Santana, Black Sabbath (Seventh Star), and to an extent even with Tull itself ("A", which did at least include Martin).

Whether or not that's legitimate, who's to say? It's all about marketing anyway. If Ian brought this concept to a major label, they'd certainly insist on it being labeled Jethro Tull.

Gentle Giant is my all-time favorite band, too, though I don't abhor Giant For a Day. But that's doesn't make either of us less or more of a fan than the other. Like anything else, just because an artist you like releases an album, nobody's forcing you to like, buy, or listen to it. It's there for those who want it, and will be enjoyed by those who like it.

7. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

This appears to be the case, and Ian Anderson is certainly entitled to do this if he wants to. I will listen to samples of the CD when it is released to see if I may want to buy it, but I really am disappointed that Martin Barre is not involved.
    Martin's absence significantly diminishes my interest in TAAB 2.

8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

A vinyl release of TAAB2 is planned for the anniversary edition of the original Brick.

IA interviews IA 1 edit.m4v
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSuI-_Xj3Bg
    IA interviews IA 2 edit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Xj3AJUdQU
    IA interviews IA 3 edit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQCpiu_Sfo
    IA interviews IA 4 edit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFO6Z0HqMaA
    Credit - thickasabricktwo

Jethro Tull - Total Rock HD - Ian Anderson interview:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHtaWgL8CK8&feature=player_embedded

9. Beetlebum

Beetlebum Forum Resident

Well, I guess I'm starting to believe in Gerald Bostock after all.

10. tootull

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

re: the sequel of TAAB.

I am just going to pretend like this never happened.

12. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

Then you might miss out on Tarkus II someday as well.

13. tootull

14. Beetlebum

Beetlebum Forum Resident

Thick as a Tarkus

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Sorry, no it's not. If I remember, Martin has an partnership right in the name, which is probably the only thing keeping Ian from marketing this as a Tull album. At the time I remember Ian saying he, Martin and Pegg were the legal members, while Doanne was under contract.

Saw this interview with Martin. Obviously, something has occurred, though both are admirally avoiding being goaded into public pissing matches by the press.

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/interviewmartinbarre2011.htm

16. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I'll give it a go. But so far, the 'excerpts' haven't sounded too exciting. Way too thin sound.

And I'm not sure any amount of remixing will improve on the last reissue of TAAB, which satisfies my ears just right.

17. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Opeth's Heritage fits that bill nicely, an instant classic in my opinion. (also mixed by Steven Wilson)

18. tootull

http://www.cdwow.us/search?q=Ian+Anderson&t=all

Thick As A Brick II (Special Edition)
    by Ian Anderson (CD - 4/2/12)
    $16.99 £10.99

Thick As A Brick II
    by Ian Anderson (CD - 4/2/12)
    $15.99 £9.99

http://www.icelandreview.com/icelan...Sells_Out_in_Seven_Minutes_0_387231.news.aspx

Jethro Tull Concert in Iceland Sells Out in Seven Minutes

Tickets to a concert by the British rock group Jethro Tull in the concert center Harpa in Reykjavík on June 21 sold out seven minutes after ticket sales opened on February 2. Following the high demand, another concert was scheduled the day after.

At the concerts, Ian Anderson and his band mates will play the album Thick As A Brick, which hasn’t been performed in its entirety since released in 1972, visir.is reports.

The audience will also be able to enjoy part of the sequel, Thick As A Brick 2, which is in the making, as recently announced.

According to midi.is, the show will feature a more theatrical production with video and additional musicians. Jethro Tull last performed in Iceland in 2009 when tickets sold out in less than a day.

For tickets and other events, go to midi.is.

ESA

19. tootull

Rock Edition was fortunate enough to get to speak with Ian Anderson about the new album and accompanying tour. Read on to find out more. http://www.rockedition.com/interviews/artist-interviews/interview-with-ian-anderson-of-jethro-tull/

When will the tours be?

We start in the middle of April in the UK; there are a whole bunch of tour dates that are currently up on JethroTull.com. As for the US tour dates, I know what they are! [laughs] I know where I'm going to be. It's been pretty much set in stone for a while, but there's been a few little tweaks and turns, and we're just getting close to that point where we will be putting the tickets on sale for two American tours that take place between mid-September and mid-November.

+

Steven Wilson
    Art as a mirror
    by Anil Prasad
    http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson.html
    Another recent surprise is the news that you’ve mixed Ian Anderson’s Thick as a Brick 2, the sequel to the famous Jethro Tull album. Describe your interest in participating in that project.

Steven Wilson - It was a natural development after having mixed the original Thick as a Brick album into surround, as well as doing a new stereo mix. While we were working on that for EMI, Ian said to me “I’ve written Thick as a Brick 2.” I said “That’s interesting.” He told me about this very interesting concept of what would have happened to Gerald Bostock, the eight-year-old kid that supposedly wrote the lyrics, originally. He said it looks at what path his life would have taken. It sounded like a really interesting concept. But I’ll be perfectly honest, part of me also was very skeptical that he could pull it off. There’s always a danger in doing a sequel and it doesn’t just apply to music but to movies and books—it can never live up to the expectation if the original is an established classic, as Thick as a Brick is. I talked with Ian about it and said “If you’re going to do it, you have to do it with the original musical palette. You have to go back and use acoustic guitar, flutes, harpsichords, glockenspiels, and all the things that made the original special. You have to keep it a very organic record and almost go back to the spirit of 1972.” He seemed totally onboard with that and the record is good. I’m not going to say it’s as good as the original, but it’s a very strong piece of work and a credible attempt by one of the legends of ‘70s progressive music to recapture the zeitgeist and feeling of their greatest work.

20. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

This was taken from a new Classic rock interview with Ian:

"I couldn’t afford to go into the studio and start experimenting. We needed to go in and be driven. For example, we had a keyboard player that we had for quite a few years, that if he were the one on this album, then I would still be making it because he still would not have decided what sound he was going to use out of the many potentially cheesy 1980’s synthesizer sounds he liked."

I wonder if it´s Andy Giddings we´re talking about here or Peter Vettesse perhap`s? Any idea?

//Björn

21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I wonder if this would be better received if it was not pitched as "part II," but just rather as an Ian Anderson album? I liked the original Thick as a Brick as is.

22. It would be irrelevant, as chunks of it (the ones heard on the promo/preview clip anyway) are pieces done "in the style of" this and that parts from the original album. It would be unfair to the creative origin of the thing... But I get your confusion... God knows the real reason why Anderson did this project!...

23. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

To paraphrase Marvin The Paranoid Android:

"Please don't try to engage my enthusiasm about this because I haven't got one."

24. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Has to be Peter, as his "cheesy 1980's synthesizer sounds" dominated the three Tull/IA albums he played on.

25. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

For my Yiddish friends out there, more like Tuchas II!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.