Ian Anderson to release sequel to TAAB, April 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WPLJ, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I haven't listened to much latter day Ian/Tull, but I heard a track from Secret Language Of Birds on the radio and was quite impressed by how well Giddings (who I believe was on the track) captured the John Evan organ sound. It actually did sound like a deep cut from the 70's. On that evidence, I doubt Ian was talking about Giddings.

I had thought Ian hired Vettese because he wanted to have 80s synth sounds.

2. I got the same feeling than you, but with a cut where he plays the piano-accordion, can't remember which one...

3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

4. tootull

The Secret Language Of Birds is a good album.
    My money is on Peter Vettese. For sure.
    http://www.j-tull.com/musicians/pastmembers/petervettese.html

5. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Secret Language and Rupi's Dance are both very good in my opinion.

6. tootull

http://www.examiner.com/classic-rock-music-in-paterson/ian-anderson-has-new-tour-album-approaching
    Ian Anderson will be embarking on a Thick as a Brick Two tour starting in mid-April, but he will be in Europe throughout most of the summer. Thankfully, Anderson will reach the US starting September 18th in Florida through October 7th in Newark, NJ. Although specific dates and locations have not been officially announced, there's a rumour for a second leg of US tour dates in October and November in the West Coast and Midwest.

7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I remember when Rick Wakeman put out Return to the Centre of the Earth. Given that Ozzy and Justin Hayward appeared on it and that I really enjoyed the original album, I got pretty darn excited for it. All these years later and I've listened to it only twice, not enjoying a single moment that I can recall.

It's way too easy to get roped in by a "sequel", but dammit, I haven't bought a Tull/Anderson album since A but I will be buying this. I guess I just love the original album that much and hope that somehow this will include a small part of what made it magic.

I never learn.

8. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Especially if you listen to the Broardsword songs that never made to the album. Who´s playing cheesy 80´keyboards if not Ian himself. It was the sounds of the times.

The accordion can be heard on the track "Panama freighter". Giddings is also playing the accordion on the Jethro tull track "Gift of roses", which can be found on the "Dot com" album from 1999.

9. Yes, that's the one I was thinking of, on the Tull album, that sounds like John Evan's style of accordion playing circa "War Child"!

I love "Panama freighter" BTW.

10. Beetlebum

Beetlebum Forum Resident

It will be interesting to hear how they use the Hammond and other keys that John Evans used to cover. I guess it's too much to expect that they would use the real deal (Hammond, MiniMoog, ect). To me, those sounds had a lot to do with the atmosphere and feel of TAAB.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

A good studio/producer can accommodate with keyboards needed, Hammond, Mini Moog etc... There is no way the touring rig will have anything other than a decent keyboard using samples.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I recall right Passion Play (or the preceding Chateau D'Isaster sessions) was the first Tull record to include synths.

13. Here are two confirmed dates for the second leg from ticketmaster.

Jethro Tulls
    Ian Anderson performs Thick as a Brick 1 and 2
    Verizon Wireless Theater Houston, TX
    Sat, 10/27/12 08:30 PM

Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson plays Thick As A Brick
    The Chicago Theatre Chicago, IL
    Fri, 11/02/12 08:00 PM

The tickets will go on sale 3/02 and 3/03 respectively so I'm guessing we will get these dates and others announced by Ian officially some time next week.

14. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I am a huge Tull fan, but I am still terrified by TAAB2.

It seems so totally out of character for Ian, and with Martin Barre not being involved...

There are just so many flashing red lights here.

I'm sure that I will wilt and buy the darned thing, but I will be shocked if it is worthy of it's title.

15. I think you are right.

I was surprised when a friend of mine, much more in the know about these things, told me that there was not a note of synth on TAAB. I had always thought that the weird sounds such as the high pitched, flute-y thing doing the melody over that dirge on side 2 (where Barre does a volume pedal thing in unison that makes his guitar sound sort of like a cello) was a synth... Do you happen to know what that instrument or effect is?

16. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Will the Special Edition have a high-rez Stereo mix or just the 5.1 mix?

18. >>Sixteen minutes into side one, we have a nearly full return to the initial musical themes that opened the album, duplicated on guitar and xylophone<<

That's not a xylophone, but a glockenspiel, so...

19. "The DVD contains 5.1 surround mixes, 24-bit stereo mix..."

20. First Anderson "Thick as a Brick" tour dates announced for USA in October and November

OCT
    6 Atlantic City, NJ Caesar's Circus Maximus tickets on sale March 2nd
    26 Grand Praire (Dallas), TX Verizon Theatre tickets on sale Macrh 2nd
    27 Houston, TX Bayou Music Center tickets on sale March 2nd

NOV
    2 Chicago, IL Chicago Theatre tickets on sale March 3rd

21. tootull

Ian Anderson - Interview Exclusive - Sunday, 26 February 2012
    http://www.uberrock.co.uk/interview...ws/4103-ian-anderson-interview-exclusive.html
    Q: It's interesting to hear you associate the word 'joke' with the original 'Thick As A Brick'. I know people who regard that album as their all time favourite album.

IA: - Well there are a bunch of wackos out there who say that 'A Passion Play' is their all time favourite album. But they should of course remain in the establishment for the criminally insane in which they probably already reside!

22. What's criminally insane for me is picking up an arch-redundant dud like "The Very Best of Jethro Tull" as your favorite Tull album... when you're the artist and with such a legacy to chose from!... The interviewer was polite for %$/"&*'s sake!

Thanks for the link!

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's interesting to see him openly ridicule fans of this period of their career. Exactly who does he think is going to be buying Thick As A Brick II? If he's so ambivalent about that style, why did he decide to revisit it at this late stage? Another joke?

That said, I tend to agree that A Passion Play was rather dreadful! :D

24. Excellent point!! ...Not the Passion Play being dreadful of course, but the first one... :O)

Seing the PP show production working thoroughly and correctly as it did in Montreal, inside a full-packed hockey arena (larger audience there than the very Rolling Stones in '72!) along with the best of friends and prog Tull nuts, is an experience I'll never forget... Just watching the bits of blurry and shakey amateur films that wound up on YouTube sends shivers down my spine!

I can't recall how actually familiar I was with the album before that concert though. I had probably been at least worked up by the promo singles that got played here quite a bit (on progressive FM)...

25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

He's always been dismissive about their progressive phase, repeatedly couching TaaB as a big joke--though of course, when you listen to it, it doesn't sound like a parody at all, just exciting, richly textured music. As far as I can tell, the only real parody came with the newspaper. So to hear him continue to tow this line now makes the idea of TaaB II seem pretty cynical to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.