Ian Anderson to release sequel to TAAB, April 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WPLJ, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember Fripp writing basically the same thing about Lizard on his blog (that people who like it must be nuts) and recently there was Steven Wilson's comment that he found both Fripp and Anderson to have been conditioned by the media to be embarassed about what they did in the 70's.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

True. Fripp referred to them somewhat more affectionately as "incredibly strange Lizard lovers", I believe! I think some of his ambivalence about that album can be put down to the fact that it was a difficult transition period for him, following the original line up's demise, and he was still finding his footing as a writer/bandleader. Ian Anderson was already a successful artist by the time he decided to don the prog cape, only to discover later that it wasn't a good fit.

3. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

The parody was the bombast of the whole thing and the weighty intellectualism of the (mostly nonsense) lyrics.

I think he was a bit disgusted with the whole heavy handed album length prog rock thing and indulged himself and commented on it by doing the same, tongue in cheek.

At the time, we sort of got that it was a joke, but the music carried us along and we loved the thing. The shows I saw right after it came out were their best as a band - truly great entertainment. When I try to listen to it now I just want it to be over. Give me the pithy power-packed Stand Up or Benefit.

He really killed it with Passion Play, though. My last Tull purchase. Yuk.

Why be so indignant? He was just a rock star taking another step in his path and seeking inspiration. Just enjoy it because you love it. Who cares why he did it?

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

If TaaB was a parody, I could never quite fathom what he had in mind with the more heavy handed APP. Did he fall for his own joke? Like you, I get a lot more enjoyment out of the older albums now anyway.

I know it's not a big deal, but I kind of resent it when artists openly thumb their nose at the fans who support them. In this specific case, I'm left to wonder why he's revisiting this style at all if he finds it so ridiculous. It's not the 70's anymore, so the notion of a prog send up doesn't have much relevance at this point.

5. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

On course since 1975, it's just the nonsense that it seems. (should I laugh or should I cry? :laugh:) From my favourite Tull album. Heed the singer...writer...

And if sometimes I sing to a cynical degree
    it's just the nonsense that it seems.

So I drift down through the Baker Street valley,
    in my steep-sided un-reality.
    And when all is said and all is done
    I couldn't wish for a better one.
    It's a real-life ripe dead certainty
    that I'm just a Baker Street Muse.
    - Ian Anderson 1975

6. Jack

Jack Senior Member

A Passion Play was also the last I bought. Jumped the shark thereafter.

7. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Yes, I wonder why he is revisiting it also, with his cynicism intact.
    It IS getting him some press......

And I am curious about it.
    I definitely want to hear it - probably only once, but one never knows..... open ears are always the best, I always say.

8. tootull

The jump was worth it to my favourite Tull album, Minstrel in the Gallery. You can say jumped the shark all you want, after this. Contains a prog rock greatest moment with Baker St. Muse.
    [​IMG]

9. tootull

Ian Anderson will be singing to a somewhat autobiographical degree, as he says he tends to do.

10. tootull

US tour dates

add; Wednesday Sep 19, 2012 8:00 PM
    Ian Anderson
    Kravis Center - West Palm Beach, FL

11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I just went back a couple of weeks ago and re-listened to the album. I love this thing. :thumbsup:

12. Oh yeah! One of the tops!

13. Not to mention that "War Child" was envisioned as a double album, along with a feature film about God! Talk about a little joke!...

That is before the critics tore aPP to pieces I figure...

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have read a few mid 70s interviews (for instance, one in Down Beat during the fall 75 Minstrel tour) where Ian vociferously defends A Passion Play, but sometime in the 90's he seems to have changed his tune.

15. tootull

Continue reading on Examiner.com
    Interview: Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson discusses 'Thick as a Brick 2'
    http://www.examiner.com/classic-har...l-s-ian-anderson-discusses-thick-as-a-brick-2
    Is there anything else you want to say about the new album and tour?

The most fundamentally important thing, from a fan's perspective, is that I'm not doing this for them. (Laughs). I'm doing this for me, because it's gonna be a lot of fun. It's a big project to get involved with, and I'm enjoying the detail, and I think I'm going to enjoy the outcome.

I spent yesterday with the musicians going through all of the original Thick as a Brick material, particularly Side Two. We had to sit down and make some positive, but difficult choices about who's going to play what, when, because of all these places where there's two acoustic guitars, vocals and flute going at the same time, and I can't do all those parts at the same time live. So we have to divide up a lot of parts and decide what to leave out, what to re-create on another instrument, where we're going to try to use the original instrument, and when we're going to have to sacrifice a musical line that we simply can't put all together.

We're all really excited about doing it, and I know the other guys have had a lot of fun working on the music so far. The fact that they haven't played it before I think is a challenge, but it's also one that I think they've really come to enjoy the music for what it is.

The new album is relatively easy, because it's fresh in the mind, and we designed that one to be very playable live. It doesn't present major issues. The original album is the one that's the hardest. And also to bring it alive in the theatrical sense as well . . . the peripheral events of another person onstage doing singing, dance, mime, whatever, and with the audio/visual components of a video screen with a whole bunch of stuff that happens on and off through the show. So all of these elements together make it quite a challenge, one that I'm looking forward to.

But as I say, it's a commitment for quite a period of time, and at the end of it all it'll be time to move on. For the next eighteen months or so it's fairly all-consuming. I'm looking forward to it, and can't wait to get out there.

Preferably I'd like to skip straight to the end of the first week, if possible. If we could start with show number eight, it would be brilliant. Shows number one, two and three could just be a little stressful. (Laughs).

16. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I was one of those rare younger people who heard the Chateau tapes before A Passion Play, because I bought the 20 Years of Jethro Tull box set right after high school. Disc 2 had the Chateau tapes, and I loved it. I figured, if that's what he threw away, the Passion Play must be mind blowing!

I was VERY disappointed when I heard it. It just seemed to be jumping around, the Chateau songs were very tuneful and catchy as hell. There were no melodies and lots of diddling around on APP that just goes on and on and on. I couldn't understand why he would chuck the Chateau songs in the trash like that.

Even made me happier when he played those three Chateau songs from the box set in his live show. I couldn't have asked for a better Tull show circa 1993.

I tried and tried and tried...I just don't see the appeal. Lots of older fans keep telling me "just keep at it, it'll hit you" but after 20 years of trying, I've given up. I really don't understand the appeal.

King Crimson's Lizard however, is great, and the songs are at least catchy. Lots of great Canterbury jazz greats as session players giving their all as well. It just sounds better in surround because there is so much going on that the stereo mix probably confused a lot of people. Also explains why Islands is so quiet and expansive.

17. They played those three Château songs in the early '90s? Wow, I didn't know that! Makes me darn sad to have missed those tours!

18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

20. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

The Pre-Sale for Dallas is Thursday, March 1st at 10am. Tthe axs Pre-Sale code is....
    You guessed it--- BRICK

Tickets are $40-$70 plus the many fees...

I'd like to go. I saw the TAAB in the 70's, and it was my best Tull experience.
    So I'll take that, and whatever Ian wants to do with TAAB 2 as a Bonus!

TAAB, BSS .... those were the days !!! :)

21. tootull

22. tootull

23. tootull

Good old fashion thick as a brick joke. Above & below. Dig! haha Tell me more about Adrian Stone-Mason?
    [​IMG]

24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Especially since that comp doesn't even include "Skating Away." :wtf:

That's exactly what happened. Ian was incredibly proud and defensive about "A Passion Play" when it was released. He won't admit it now, but there is plenty of proof from the past that Ian was devastated by the critical lashing of "A Passion Play" and it seems he eventually joined the bandwagon.

"A Passion Play" is a remarkable album. The best thing Ian & Co. ever did. It's a landmark work, and it's a shame so many can't enjoy it.

People, just put on Side 2 and let it blow your mind!

Yes, "Baker St. Muse" is wonderful.

Those were just parts of Side 1 of The Chateau D'Isaster recordings. There was an additional 45 minutes of music that wasn't on that box set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.