Ianni Christou (Pink Floyd / Syd Barrett related)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler Thread Starter

I've just been re-reading David Parker's book "Random Precision - Recording the Music of Syd Barrett 1965 - 74) and was reminded of an interesting incident.

In October 1967, the band visited composer Delia Derbyshire at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop to check out how the strange electronic sounds were produced there. She mentioned that she felt that the tour was a bit of a disappointment and took them in a cab over to Putney where the classic VCS3 (used to great effect on DSOTM) was being developed. She said that they were very keen on contemporary electronic music composition and mentioned being familiar with a work called "Praxis" by the composer Ianni Christou.

Well, I am very deep into this type of music and cannot recall ever seeing this name before. A Google search only finds a couple of links regarding his works being performed at festivals in 2000 and 2006.

Does anybody know anything about this composer? I cannot track down any recordings by him or even a biography.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants New Member

Its because there is more than one way to spell Ianni, Yani, Jani

http://www.janichristou.org/

For some info.

Don't know any more about it than that I'm afraid (just an adept googler :) )

PS. Big fan of Delia Derbyshire though the few bits and bobs I've managed to get together from from Radiophonic Workshop releases.

3. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! Funny, the festivals that had his works featured spelled his name as "Ianni". This link is most helpful!

Cheers,
    Chris

4. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants New Member

Well he's Greek so there is bound to be some confusion over how to spell it in a different alphabet I guess. Looks quite interesting actually. Seems there is a 4cd set of selected works - bit steep though - 106 Euros - mind you its a bit obscure as well.

http://music.wundermusic.com/music/site/154085/c/christou-jani.ht

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The fact that Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd hung out with Delia Derbyshire at the BBC Raidophonic Workshop in 1967 is so incredibly cool. Delia passed away shortly after she was interviewed for David Parker's book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.