Icon Audio Amplifiers experience?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Minty_fresh, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Yes, try 4; it looks like some phase angle/impedance issue around the frequencies where you complained about the sound.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Out of the many SS amplifier's that I have tried, there is one that does stand out in my mind, which is why I drive my front mains with it.

It is the Emotiva XPA-2 - 2 Channel Amplifier (this link is to a current eBay listing). The current bid is $590, with 5-days remaining on bidding. I see these things going for around $650-$750. This is the original version. It can put out 250-WPC into 8-Ohms or 400-WPC into a 4-Ohm load. There is no reserve on this auction and the shipping is a flat $85, within the continental US.

I think the secret to the bass is its huge power supply.

[​IMG]

This is one serious amplifier, that should provide you with more than enough power for now and in the future. This beast weighs 72-lbs.

[​IMG]

I am currently running two pairs of front main speakers, that I use for both HT and stereo. They are the Polk Audio flagship LSiM707's and the Zu Audio Omen definitions. They are selectable, via a speaker A/B switch.

[​IMG]

Prior to me adding this external power amplifier, I was using the power amp section of the Peachtree iNova (shown at the far left). Now I only use the Peachtree for a switchable source selector, the ESS Saber DAC and the class-A preamp. The preamp output drives the XPA-2.

As @Helom indicated, it is difficult to hear a lot of difference between power amps, as specially those under $1k.

The room in the photo, is the former lobby of the motel that I operate. I usually have music streaming during the day. The rear office door is in the lower left of the picture. After making the switch, I could not believe how much deeper and fuller the bass sounded.

So much was the difference, that I had two motel guests, walk in the back door and pause to listen to what was playing and both of these guests commented how different the system sounded. Walking in the back door, you don't even see the Emotiva and people had no idea that a different amplifier was now hooked up and playing.

I have a large horn based system in the same room and I play it strictly through a tube amp and a tube preamp. But I think that the XPA-2 sounds excellent through either pair of these tower speakers and the bass does sound good at lower volumes.

I would never get rid of this amplifier. I have run three different Peachtree designs, including class A/B and class D, through these speakers. I have also run two Nelson Pass' First Watt designs, including an Aleph-J and the M2 and this by far has the deepest bass and fullest sound out of any of them.

When compared to the XPA-2, both the First Watt designs sound very thin and lack a solid bass signature.

[​IMG]

3. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don’t think I need anything that huge and powerful do I? We’re taking 12’x15’ in an apartment.

scobb likes this.
  4. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m so confused. On one hand tube watts aren’t so much more powerful, on the other just get new speakers and the other some big as a car 1000 watt monsters.

Ugh I quit.

Mr Bass likes this.
  5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I would just look at what reviewers are using with those speakers. In the Stereophile article it was a 100 W amp. They didn't have bass production issues so that gives you a ballpark figure of 75-100W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.