Iconic Jazz Label Candid Records Relaunches with Five Reissues of Legendary 60's Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mpayan, Mar 16, 2022.

1. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

When I was playing Booker Ervin - That's It I was thinking the pianist Feliix Krull sure was influenced by Horace Parlan.
    Felix Krull
    :p

2. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

The site really does exhibit how small this operation is. Had no clue they still release new music. Art on those looks like it was done for a low budget.
    Yet they have this insanely valuable backlog of historic releases. Pauper sitting on a goldmine.

ausgraeme likes this.
  3. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Took me 6 tries with Amazon to get Mingus presents Mingus LP right, I don't know what their quota is but I am sure I am close to getting my Prime dropped

chris8519 and this_machine like this.
  4. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Do we know for sure whether returning defect records (or other products) affect this quota thing? I would think all of us buying new vinyl would be in trouble if so :)

Engineer X likes this.
  5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I don't return much to Amazon, and I have been a prime member for years. Recently I got defective copies of Pictures of Heath (both skipped). I returned my first copy to Amazon and they shipped me a new copy. The second copy was defective in the same manner as the first copy. They wouldn't let me return the 2nd copy, they said they could only do a return/replacement no more than 2 times. So they gave me a full refund instead and told me to discard/keep the defective LP, and if I really wanted to try again I would have to order and pay for another copy. I decided to wait until Blue Note decides there is a true issue with Picture of Heath. So I have no idea how they let you return an LP 6 times (I guess it depends - I tried to do the automatic return/replace online and it wouldn't let me, as the website told me to call or chat with customer service. That is when I was told 2 times was the limit, and they offered me a refund instead.)

Anyway, to get this thread back on topic, I have ordered and gotten every Candid release except for Lightnin' Hopkins (many are the RSD versions) and every one I have received was near perfect. I guess I got lucky. Today I will be receiving the Booker Ervin title "That's It" from Amazon. Hoping for a good copy.

6. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

My Booker was perfect - also with a flat edge

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Amazon also gives me the dreaded "can't ship to your address" at checkout for That's It. FWIW, I bought my Pee Wee Russell disc from Importcds (through ebay)...it shipped quickly and the record was perfect. Just did a search for Candid and some of the other titles are available there as well. Noticed that Importcds and Sound of Vinyl ship from the same location in the same mailers...no Candid titles from SOV though.

8. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

For a few days, the Ervin was available to complete checkout. Now, its back to the 'can't ship to your address'. I guess I should have ordered it then. It's probably a flaw in their system. But, part of the problem could have something to do with inventory. When it was available to complete checkout, it said 'In Stock' but gave a January 9th delivery date. That doesn't make sense that it would take them that long with an in stock item, even during the holiday season.

Something is messed up with the listing or the coding somewhere in their system. I think next time it gives me a delivery date option, I'll just order it.

9. MikeT

My copy of Booker Ervin from Amazon never arrived and last scanned on 12/12/22 at the post office in one town over (obviously a mis-delivery). It was scanned 30 minutes later that it left that post office. :( It may still arrive, even though they gave me a full refund.

I asked if instead of a refund they just ship me another copy overnight, and they told me they couldn't since there was something wrong with my address. It turned out I was also getting the "can't ship to your address" error (as others have indicated). So I am hoping my original order shows up from Amazon, since then it would be "free" as I was told if it does show up I don't have to return it.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My order of Booker Ervin from Amazon shows “Order Received” with no estimate of shipping or delivery date so clearly there is something wrong with this particular album and Amazon.

It was in stock when I ordered it two days ago.

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My Amazon order of Booker Ervin showed at my door unexpectedly this afternoon.
    I cleaned the record before playing. Even after cleaning, there were a few ticks here and there, mostly on the quiet parts but nothing too bad and overall I would say that this is a good pressing.
    Of course, the music is fantastic, That’s It is one of Booker Ervin’s best albums. I love “Booker’s Blues” but every track is prime.

PATB likes this.
  12. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I just ordered it. The listing finally let me get past the 'not deliverable to your address' bit. It is still not listing a delivery date even though showing as in stock. Let's hope I have the same luck as you. Good to hear it sounds good and is a decent pressing.

5-String likes this.
  13. MikeT

I never got my initial order from Amazon for Booker Ervin. And yesterday I was able to order another copy (I was refunded for the copy that never showed up).

Here is the crazy story that happened so far today (Wed 12/21/22).
    1) I get an email telling me that finally the missing package of the original order of Booker Ervin is out for delivery. I was already refunded, so I was ok - let me cancel the order I placed yesterday for another copy.

2) Even though the delivery date for the new order was indicated as 1/20/23, it wouldn't let me cancel the order for the new copy, since it was already being packed for shipment. So I guess 1/20/23 was just a far out estimate and the new copy is coming sooner? So I figure I was already refunded for the copy arriving today, so when the new order arrives I can send it back since I wouldn't need it.

3) At 9:30am ET - I get a call from my post office (my town is not that large and the town post office is very good at what they do), that the box that was supposed to be delivered today was never sealed so whatever was inside fell out in transit, which may be why it was so delayed. They told me it was an LP flat box, where the sealing tape was never removed when sent so it was effectively open. They asked if I still wanted them to deliver the box or scan it as damaged in transit and send it back to Amazon. I told them to send it back and not to deliver an empty box.

4) So, whew - did I get lucky in that when I tried to cancel the new order it is already in shipping mode. And Amazon will get back an empty box as damaged no content to understand what happened with my original delivery.

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I received Otis Spann is the Blues today and started playing it. I could not listen to it more than five minutes.
    Horrible non-fill noise everywhere plus a serious warp made listening to it impossible.
    Back to the Amazon it goes for a replacement although I am not that optimistic that the replacement will be better.
    We will see.

15. poodlebites

poodlebites Forum Resident

I got yesterday Booker Ervin's That's It and it sounds fantastic. The first time I played it, I heard some cracks, but it seemed to be dirt, because the second time it played with no noise at all.
    And the music is amazing. I knew Ervin from his records with Mingus, but here he sounds a bit different and the songs, all but one, were written by him and are great.

16. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I just got and played the Booker Ervin. It sounds good and no pressing problems.

But, did anybody notice there is no writing on the spine? Another tick in the negative box for these reissues. Brings back flashbacks of the BNC Wayne Shorter Adam's Apple debacle!!!

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My replacement of Otis Spann arrived yesterday. It is still a little noisy during the first 10 minutes of both sides even after an ultrasonic cleaning but thankfully no non-fill this time!
    Despite being a little noisy here and there, my copy is very listenable and I am going to keep it.
    I wonder if anyone has received a quiet pressing of this title.

18. Kumocat

Kumocat Jazz Cat

It looks like these titles aren’t easy to get. I did an order for the Pee Wee Russell and Booker Ervin records, first I got a message it was underway and it was to be delivered a few days later… then the first one got cancelled but the Booker Ervin record was still delivered albeit a day later. Then the Pee Wee Russell record arrived 3 weeks later. While the store where I ordered the record had removed it from their catalog.

So, yesterday it arrived but with some closer inspection I discovered a hairline scratch and a dimple on the B-side. Both luckily both cause no repeating ticks or whatever. The record itself is on both sides dead silent. But still the QC on this record is subpar. While the Booker Ervin record is completely mint… weird how this quality differs so much in between records.

19. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Happy New Year everyone.

The last record to arrive for 2022 was then RSD Mingus, Candid, which I was completely oblivious about tbh. Charles Mingus RSD First Black Friday 2022 Limited Edition /3500 Turquoise Vinyl | eBay

A
    fter the Mingus Presents having such a positive effect on me calling it the Jazz reissue of the year, I was curious if that could be equalled or even surpassed.
    Well I have to say it’s not that far short both sonically (thanks to another stellar job by BG) and musically; I’m really enjoying these recordings from Nola Studios, there’s a real intimacy about them that grabs me. All three numbers are brilliantly played but special mention should go to Stormy Weather where Eric Dolphy truly shines; absolutely outstanding!

On teal coloured vinyl, this record is almost perfectly flat, well centred and apart from a few clicks at the beginning of each side, pretty much quiet. One thing that separates it from this series is the jacket which is heavyish duty card retaining the matt finish but not a tip-on. All in all, an excellent companion to Presents.

uzn007, Dai and 5-String like this.
  20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks for posting this, I have not seen this album before nor did I know that it was released during RSD.
    I just ordered it from the link that you posted :righton:

uzn007 and Kimiimacman like this.
  21. Just finished spinning That's It! Man, this series is just so AWESOME. Maybe my favorite current jazz reissue series. It helps that all of these albums except for the Mingus are new to me, but each one has been fantastic musically. Sonically they sound great and I love the single pocket, sturdy jackets. I hope they get some of the pressing issues sorted out, because these records are just so good. I've been relatively lucky in the pressing department I suppose; none have been perfect, but I've only had to exchange one thus far. RTI or QRP pressings would solidify this series among the best out there.

I can't wait for Out Front, the Cecil Taylor, Clark Terry, and the second Mingus.

22. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Hmm, just discovered this thread, and went to the Candid/"zendesk" site to check out availability and and prices and found no way at all to get that info, or, other than shipping and returns, any indication that physical merchandise was even available. Is that info "hidden" somewhere on the site? Finding DL info was easy enough, but I'm interested in CDs.

23. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Their website is kind of confusing, and a bunch of the releases under Catalog are digital only. But, physical versions of the titles in this series are available here.
    New Releases

uzn007 and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  24. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Thanks; looks like all of the ones I need are digital only, unfortunately; it's "the oldies" I'm after and all of the ones in the link you posted I already have on disc & LP. Benny Bailey and the Don Ellis with Paul Bley, OTOH, as well as some of the others, I'd be very much interested in.

YouCantWin likes this.
  25. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Second Mingus, are you referring to the RSD Black Friday Mingus? Although not part of this series I believe, fabulous nonetheless.