Iconic Jazz Label Candid Records Relaunches with Five Reissues of Legendary 60's Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mpayan, Mar 16, 2022.

1. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Which listing? I didn’t see it on Candid’s website.

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I was referring to VMP edition. Which i wouldbt be surprised if it was same for regular Candid too since theyd have the plates there

YouCantWin likes this.
  3. YouCantWin

Ah, gotcha. I have the regular Candid pressing, not VMP.

this_machine likes this.
  4. YouCantWin

I just checked the deadwax for Lincoln, Mingus, and We Insist, and only We Insist has an RTI style number. Maybe they're pressing different titles at different plants? Or, maybe like @max_and_amelia suggested We Insist was plated at RTI but pressed elsewhere?

5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

6. max_and_amelia

max_and_amelia Forum Resident

The only thing I have to check is my twice-delayed Amazon (US) pre-order for these titles. The availability of this series is really a mystery.

chris8519 likes this.
  7. AudioTimes

AudioTimes Forum Resident

So, it seems maybe none of them is pressed at RTI, some of them (all of them?) plated at RTI...

8. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Same for me, man. No updates what so ever and I see people here just casually picking them up. WHERE??

this_machine likes this.
  9. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

For quite a while now, my Amazon pre-orders have one batch of titles coming out this Friday, 8/26, and another batch releasing on 9/23. At the moment, it looks like the 8/26 releases (Little, Ervin, Taylor, Terry) are still on track.

10. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

The Candid site has the same release dates as Amazon.

11. JerryTurcotte

JerryTurcotte Forum Resident

Finally got Otis Spann is the Blues, which is the one I was really looking for. Wasn’t able to find it home, but I made a pitstop in Kingston, Ontario, today and grab the last copy at Zap Records. Can’t wait to listen to it when I’ll be back home next week.

Mingus and Roach copies were there too bit I have a RSD We Insist and a 1977 Barnaby Mingus, so I left it there.

I also have Booker Ervin and Booker Little on preorder, which are set tobe release on Friday. Next week should be a spinning fiesta!

bluemooze, BreakBeat DJ and GerryO like this.
  12. captgriff

captgriff Forum Resident

Grabbed 4 of of the first 5 in Montreal this weekend. Listening to the Lightnin' Hopkins now and it sounds fantastic. A little noisy for a brand new pressing, but the soundstage and transparency are amazing. I really hope these are available to all soon as it seems to be yet another amazing jazz/blues reissue series for the ages.

13. webbj

webbj Well-Known Member

where in MTL did you go?

14. captgriff

captgriff Forum Resident

Cheap Thrills; had one copy of each except the Lincoln.

15. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Has anybody gotten any from the new batch that is supposedly coming out today 8/26? Are they available at any locals?

I pre-ordered Ervin and Little from the new group of titles from Amazon a few weeks ago. No delivery date announced for mailing and now they are not available for purchase on Amazon US by Amazon.

What is going on with this series?

16. max_and_amelia

max_and_amelia Forum Resident

For the amount of effort that seems to have gone into mastering, they've sure fallen down on the job in regards to promotion. No worries though. I, for one, have more than a few recent reissues from other labels that I haven't even gotten a chance to open yet.

17. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

It looks like the newest ones that 'came out today' are non-existent on Amazon. None of them can be ordered from Amazon US anymore. And the first wave are now due October 21st.

This is a fun series.

DavidJ, chris8519 and aoxomoxoa like this.
  18. struttincool

Same deal with a couple New Land/Mainstream titles. I think they were supposed to be released today and then they just disappeared. Only available from third-party sellers on Amazon.

19. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

They're UK releases, and everywhere in the UK.

20. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

I have the Booker Little on a very nice-sounding Japanese King CD, KICJ 8373, but I think I'll go for this vinyl reissue. It's a musically fascinating album and I have a feeling AAA vinyl will give it an extra dimension.

21. JerryTurcotte

I preordered those same two (Ervin & Little).

Anyone received some of August 26th releases?

My Amazon’s order says it’s back order.

I wrote to Candid using the form on their website, specifically asking when the Aug. 26th batch would be available and if we can expect a repress from the June batch for Sept. 23rd.

Here’s the response I received from their Customer Support.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! We apologize, but we are uncertain if or when specific vinyl will be repressed and/or return to stock. Should a new batch be released, it is likely the store will post an update on their website or social media accounts.

We are sorry that we are unable to answer your
    question further.

Not very helpful. Did anyone who ordered on Candid website received anything this past week?

22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

This is terrible. It implies they’re sold out?
    Man… the more sideways this all goes the more I want them.

Spazotron3000 likes this.
  23. struttincool

Looking at Discogs gives me the feeling these have not hit the States. They outsourced their customer service, so zero help there.

this_machine and patient_ot like this.
  24. JerryTurcotte

I'm hoping for delays and a major underestimation of interest for AAA jazz releases from Candid resulting in a far too lower order. I mean, there's no way that Booker Little is sold out, no one saw that record. As for the June represses, I expect Sept. 26th date to be push back, as nearly any jazz serie is pushing back it's release right now.

25. JerryTurcotte

That's my feeling too. I don't think I was replied to by someone with real knowledge of the situation.

this_machine likes this.