If I have to stick with an automatic tt, is there a reason to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Sep 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

I stream the vast majority of the time. I can't cue a tonearm. I have a nice pioneer pl-600 dd automatic tt. Given all of this, would I be gaining anything to upgrade to another automatic tt? I am frustrated, but would be even more frustrated dropping a bundle on a new tt and not be able to use it. even if I were to get another tt, it is well down my list of audio priorities. Just wondering

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

What’s the SOTA in automatic turntables as well as pros and cons? Never even thought about it.

3. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Just keep it and get a new cartridge if you think it needs it.

jeff

sturgus and timind like this.
  4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Pioneer made two different models called PL-600, years apart.

Basically, the older better one has an S-shape arm and uses standard headshells. The later, lesser, one had a straight arm and the headshell type for that.

If you have the S-arm version, you are golden, no turntable is better, if it is working, in the under four figure price range and maybe even the under five figure price range too - used or new. The only thing is, it is getting a little old and could suffer a failure sometime.

The later straight arm type is pretty good too but would be a different story.
    Even the later lesser one is not bad but there could be better than that one.

Ingenieur likes this.
  5. WvL

I have the silver direct drive turntable with the s shaped tonearm, not the cheap black one with the belt drive. About 1979 or 1980. I'd have a 2nd functioning pl600 if I had all of the missing feet. Worse case, I have a 2nd one for parts

Rick58 likes this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

In that case, take @vinylkid58's advice and get another cart, and get another headshell while your at it.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Single play, Technics SL-1300 or SL-1600 original model. As good as any, maintainable and reliable. No servo arm to give issues with age. Downside, arm not upgradable.

Khorn likes this.
  8. WvL

Called George (hifigem) in Memphis and explained my situation. he will do a bit of polish on my pl600 and said that he may be able to resurrect my spare pl600 with the missing feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.