If Jim lived, would he have come back to The Doors?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

It's been a while since I read the book, but he presented the alternate theory as sort of the centerpiece of the book...it led the book off and was alluded to throughout before he full-blown described it near the end. It then left off juxtaposing it with the accepted version and basically left it as "here's the old story, here's a new one based on compelling (if not completely verified) new information...which do you think is more likely?"

I should read it again, it was a very good book.

The Hermit likes this.
  2. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Yes.

3. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Jim would've returned for beer money.

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

He had always wanted the Doors to make a blues album. Of L.A. Woman, he was quoted as saying that he was finally making a blues album. It's not really a straight blues album, but it's as close to it as they would get. He may well have been interested in going deeper into that direction with the band. He had reportedly also planned to release an album of his poetry (which accounts for some of the source tapes of American Prayer), but I'm not sure if the other 3 members would have been involved.

5. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I agree, that no one really knows.

I do know he had the appeal of the Miami Conviction hanging over him.

If the appeal was denied, would he have stayed abroad? If he was stuck in France, would The Doors flown over to make an album or to tour Europe?

If he won his appeal, he would have most came back home to the USA. Would he had recorded with The Doors?

Most likely, I believe that The Doors recording contract had not yet run out

The Doors never really git to have that big money making tour of the US, like the Stones or Zeppelin. It would have been a great time to cash in.

With that $$$$ he could have been indulged toake his Rock Opera like Tomy or Quad.

But really know

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Ignatowski.

[​IMG]

TheDailyBuzzherd and bizmopeen like this.
  7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Reportedly, they approached Iggy at one point to be their singer. If so, they must have been ok with craziness.

GroovyGuy likes this.
  8. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

"Last words, Last words out."
    • Those were the last words Morison wrote in his notebook.
    Premonition, Suicide or Splitsville?

To quote Ray Manzarek:

“How do you even know Jim was in the coffin? How do you know it wasn’t 150 lbs. of f ing sand?”

9. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

His face got bloated and the beard made him look even heavier but I think the weight gain was exaggerated. He doesn't look that bad at the Isle of Wight. He was probably 150-160 pounds in his heyday so he probably topped out at around 190-200 pounds.

10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Sure. The Doors were always open for him to come back.

marklamb likes this.
  11. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

12. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I agree. It's difficult for me to imagine Jim, Jimi, or Janis in the 1980's.

Siegmund likes this.
  13. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

He never really left them was just taking a well needed hiatus.

14. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Mick Wall isn't known for accuracy and at times drifts into complete trash fiction... another book for the bonfire

Dodoz likes this.
  15. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Had Janis lived she would have had Bette Midler's career (and I'm only half-joking!).

Brother Maynard likes this.
  16. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Who do you think? Jim Nabors, of course.

bizmopeen likes this.
  17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Jim reportedly called one of the Doors (or the Doors office) from Paris at one point saying he had some songs written and that they were great -- he was quite enthusiastic.

His voice was declining by L.A. Woman, though, and since he continued to drink at about the same pace in Paris, it would only have gotten worse.

The Doors -- one of my top seven or so bands of all time.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The late and missed Tony Funches, who was a bodyguard with The Doors said Jim was never fat, and he was around in 69-70. I think Jim was the biggest around mid to late 70. The face, the beard, and some unflattering angles on pictures give the impression he was much fatter than he actually was. I think the issue is, BY LATE 60s standards, he looked fat to some because most people were generally thinner then. And also because he'd started very thin (look at the earliest photos from 66).

19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

This! :agree:

qwerty likes this.
  20. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

That wouldn't have worked. I think that whopper had its genesis in, "No One Here Gets Out Alive".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.