If you buy South Park, Season 2 . . .

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Jun 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

you may as well get it at Best Buy. I believe it was noted earlier that this set comes with a BB freebie, the full length pilot episode, which was re-edited before airing. It's pretty interesting. All the female voices are different and the picture quality is superb. I know that only the first episode was animated by hand, without computer assistance, but this looks much better than the other episodes to me (with the exception of the opening, featuring a slow tempo theme song). The sound is also very good, with none of the clicking and popping that occur on the first seasons version of episode one. Seems as if they put a little more care into this "throw away."

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

This could have easily been included on the 1st season DVD set. I've been let down by the lack of extras in both South Park DVD boxed sets. To make things worse, there's not a Best Buy out here in the People's Republic of Hawaii!

I'm hoping season three won't skip on the extras like the previous two seasons. Although I did enjoy the "Goin down to South Park" documentary.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree with everything you say, and sorry about the lack of a Best Buy. The first season could have had the pilot and the animations they did prior to the show. I enjoyed the doc as well, and the teasers of those early cartoons look better than I've ever seen them. Love your signature, by the way, one of my favorite songs.

4. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The unaired version of the South Park pilot episode is a cool extra, and my main reason for buying the season two box but a couple of things bothered me about this set. One thing is that other than the bonus disc that's only available at Best Buy, there's only three episodes on this set that haven't been released previously. The South Park documentary was released on "The Chef Experience" DVD over a year ago. The other thing that bugged me is that the picture quality doesn't seem to be as clear and sharp on the box as on the previously issued South Park DVD's. It doesn't seem that much care was taken in transferring these episodes considering how good they looked on the original broadcasts. Just my opinion. Anyone else agree, or disagree?

5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Re: Re: If you buy South Park, Season 2 . . .

I agree, the sets could have been much better. The Simpsons Season boxed sets are a good example of how to put something like this together (minus the annoying menus of the second season).

The packaging, extras, and picture quality of South Park could have been better.

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I assume that Best Buy will ship to Hawaii, so you can order it online.

I actually didn't know that BB's version of this collection had this "bonus." I'll go on record stating that I HATE this marketing ploy.

As to the extras, I assume that those of you who bought the Season One box set know that there is a collection of audio commentary by Matt and Trey available on cd. I don't know if the "promotion" is still running, but it was available for free (with a small s/h fee) by sending in a proof of purchase. I guess the story is that Matt and Trey recorded the episode commentaries and they were omitted from the dvd's at Warner Brothers' insistence. While I'm not sure why the commentaries were omitted, Matt and Trey do go off on a few rants, insulting various people. Maybe WB didn't want the potential liability. Unfortunately the commentary tracks are pretty dull, to be honest.

7. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

These South Park dvds are very sad. They could have done so much. Like how about restoring all the words that had to be censored before the episodes were given to Comedy Central, giving us commentaries, financing the filming of more intros for the new episodes or giving us a new quality transfer.

I wonder if that guy who financed the short that got them the Comedy Central deal for his Christmas card owns the rights? That would be an acceptable reason to not include it.

Paramount seems to be getting better at dvd now, so I think we have a new sheriff of crappy dvd town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.