If you could have been present during any period in musical history what would it be?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Keefheart, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

1967-1971 for sure

john lennonist and SG47 like this.
  2. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Even though catching Led Zeppelin in 1972 somewhere during their US tour would be an earth shattering experience, then finding Tim Buckley, Neil Young and the Stones somewhere along that map, without a doubt, the Best would be to transport myself to the Sunset Strip, early 1966. I would happily sleep on the pavement finding Jim Morrison walk by or the Buffalo Springfield to their gigs at the Whisky. Not to mention the rest... including just from the top of my head Otis Redding, the Byrds, the Cream and not last, Jimi Hendrix... also including the most open-minded and beautifully dressed women the universe have ever seen. We need to invent time travel. NOW!

john lennonist likes this.
  3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Late '70s/early '80s Boston. Real Kids, Dogmatics, Cantone's, the Rat..etc

4. Cynthia Tebbetts

Cynthia Tebbetts Forum Resident

The 1960's from 1964 on.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

How odd that the music is so audible over the crowd sounds on the recording made with a single mic. Maybe that was a slower night than when he saw them.

6. Every time I hear Jackson Browne sing "In '65 I was 17..." I think yeah, good age to be in that year. Then when he sings about being 21 in '69, I think that would be even better. But then I'd be even older than I already am, and I'm already not handling it well, so why make it worse? :laugh:

SG47 and SITKOL'76 like this.
  7. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

The Disco era

Donna Summer
    Bee Gees
    Saturday Night Fever
    Grease
    Village People
    Boney M
    ABBA
    Andy Warhol
    Diana Ross
    Studio 54
    Grace Jones
    Bianca Jagger
    Chic

I imagine myself at a Disco hearing Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love' blasting monster loud from the speakers as I dance in a trancelike state.

Also seeing everybody rush to the dancefloor when the beat drops in Diana Ross' 'Love Hangover' or Donna Summer's 'Last Dance'.

If not the Disco era then I would've loved to experience the 'Thriller' era. Never has an album ever dominated like that and we'll never see that again. MJ was at his absolutely peak and it must've been amazing to witness the mania first hand.

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You make some great points there. It really was a great time.

Luckily you’re the perfect age to experience the Ed Sheeran era in full.

:D

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  9. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'll sacrifice the terribly overplayed and overrated Drake and Ed Sheeran for Donna Summer and The Bee Gees ANY DAY!!!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

To answer the OP’s question, I think I’d just go back the 70s.

And stay there.

:)

11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Ditto. Although I was born in '54.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  12. Captain Keefheart

Captain Keefheart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes I thought that, but as a very dour, straight-laced, 60-something, old-school German teacher I had no reason to doubt him.

Rfreeman likes this.
  13. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

One intriguing period for me would be the beginnings of music, in the paleolithic era. Probably around 50000 BCE or so. Can't get more hard core than that.

phil1db and Frozensoda like this.
  14. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

I was born in 1951, so I was in the right place at the right time. I was a kid in the 50s, a teen in the 60s, and a young adult in the 70s. Perfect.

Frozensoda likes this.
  15. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Starting with Elvis, ending with the start of disco. About twenty years, I was there...and more.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

About a week prior to when The Beatles came to America and then to have been AT JFK upon landing.

17. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

18. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Going Nowhere Fast

The early 1900s in New Orleans. To somehow be able to see and hear jazz pioneer Buddy Bolden before mental illness took over his life in 1907.

19. varispeed

varispeed what if?

I consider that I have lived in the most perfect blip of time musically. I often can't understand how it worked out so perfectly. Every musical thing I've experienced from 1958 until this moment has just been incredible.

john lennonist and dee like this.
  20. sami

sami Mono still rules

I was there for one of them, from '77-'83, an incredible time to be a music fan of club going age near a big city of in a college town. I experienced both.

If I could choose one other, it would have to be '64-'67, kind of the previous generation's version of my era. The incredible explosion of bands and records, and so many jazz artists in their prime.

21. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

New York City, March 8, 1968 to June 27, 1971.
    I would’ve gotten a job at the Fillmore East.

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I was born in 1950 my prime music years (though my interest in new music is still strong) is right at the entry of The Beatles and through the 70's. I wouldn't change a thing.

john lennonist likes this.
  23. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Mid ‘90s to follow Stereolab, the rise of Wilco, the re-birth of Sonic Youth, great Yo La Tengo releases ... much more

24. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

While I’m perfectly happy with the year that I was born (1960), being born a few years earlier would have allowed me to see the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Growing up as a child in the 1960s, I definitely knew who the the Beatles were, but I experienced them mainly thru the AM radio and the Saturday morning cartoon show.

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

1966 to 1976

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.