If you could live at any time in musical history

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Archguy, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Harlem Renaissance in full flower - 1924, with tickets to "From Dixie To Broadway," every night of its run, following Florence Mills, and late night cabarets listening to the jazz pioneers.

Archguy, EVOLVIST and thnkgreen like this.
  2. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

eh, you'd be old AF now though

JoeF. likes this.
  3. The Turning Year

The Turning Year Lowering average scores since 2021

Ah, 1920s for me (and not just for music...!) :love:
    Serious music was starting to turn a bit interesting and atonal, but not yet unlistenably weird, blues was starting to break out into the mainstream in the US (with artists like Robert Johson and Bessie Smith), swing bands were taking that African American blues influence and stompin' at the Savoy, and dance bands (like Jack Hylton's orchestra) were playing fun and fabulous music.
    In the UK, music hall was still going strong and radio was making its way into homes and becoming affordable to the middle classes, so there was a chance to listen to music that way at home as well as playing the traditional piano in the front parlour.

Aside from music, but inextricably linked, were the advances in women's rights and freedoms, the free thinking groups like the Bloomsbury Group of artists and writers, the growth of modernism in European art and architecture, and we were still in the 'golden age' of magic, meaning the huge elaborate magic shows were still touring the world. As with with any time period, if you had money it would have been pretty great.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Present

JoeF. and Kevin j like this.
  5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And you might have been sent to Vietnam a few years later.

john lennonist and DK Pete like this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I feel pretty good about the overall and ensuing period I was born into. The music I've grown up to has given me millions of moments of fun and fulfillment so no complaints. Born in '57, it would've been cool to have been a few years older just to be able appreciate a few of the more significant moments firsthand and with a greater sense of awareness...but then again, there were other things going on in the world which would have made being older a not necessarily great thing.

john lennonist likes this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yup..I kind of indirectly referenced that in my previous post.

JoeF. likes this.
  8. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

The summer of love would be ideal

9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Thanks to the magic of recording, I do!

danasgoodstuff and JoeF. like this.
  10. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

Now is just fine.

It's is not that I don't love older music - but I am afraid I would not have been hip enough to be part of the past scenes and musical developments that I enjoy today.

I'm quite sure you wouldn't find me at CBGB or Studio Rivbea in the 70s. Maybe I would be at home listening to records by people associated with those places ... but hey ... I can do that now!:cool:

11. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I lived it, '67 through about '76.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  12. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

At a Springsteen concert in 70's.

JoeF. likes this.
  13. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

In 2001, I played guitar with the Sonics for one show. Have seen the Wailers several times, know guys who've played with them, as well as the Kingsmen.
    Subbed in the Daily Flash, too on a gig.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    E.Baba, YardByrd and danasgoodstuff like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's the advantage of living now...you have access to any period of music you want.

You just can't buy a ticket, stand in a mosh pit with fat dudes spilling your beer, and blow out your eardrums on badly-calibrated club sound setups.

[SEINFELD] That's a shame. [/SEINFELD]

bhazen likes this.
  15. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I’m not so sure about the present. A lot of the music I hear in stores sounds samey and auto tuned to death. Plus, imagine today’s kids sharing a virtual beer over Zoom in the future and saying, “remember how cool music was when we were kids. My Mom and Dad would say, “Alexa, play WAP!” :sigh:

Archguy and GMfan87' like this.
  16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m living it.

17. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Bruce was!

GMfan87' and JoeF. like this.
  18. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

LA 1965-1967, to catch The Byrds, Love, Buffalo Springfield live on their home turf.

Archguy likes this.
  19. John54

John54 Senior Member

I think I've already lived through the best time in musical history, namely the '60s.

I just wish so many people hadn't wasted my time when I was a child (school especially), time that I could have put to much better use listening to the radio to find even more great songs (among other things).

I would have been wiser to catalogue them too, instead of trying to rely on ultimately faulty memory.

20. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

I was born in 1960. This is the most amazing time ever in music - at our fingertips is the vast majority of recorded music - in audio, and in some cases, video formats. It’s affordable and accessible.

Living through an era is a function of time, location and funds. I’m with those that say they might like to pop in for a visit to catch a show or event, but if you love music, it’s pretty hard to beat the present day

bhazen likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm set...grew up in the best years for music!

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's one of the oldest and most clichéd accusations ever. I remember people already made claims like that in the 70's. And you know what? They still will be making them in 2070: "Old music is better"! :biglaugh:

23. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I know that I did the best I could when I was.

24. Centralscrutinizer

Centralscrutinizer Forum Resident

To have been 14/15 in 1970 would've been about right for me I reckon. Would've needed a more lucrative paper round to afford the constant flow of new albums coming out.

25. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

I’d love to take a time capsule to the first decade of the 19th century to attend the premieres of Beethoven’s piano concertos and first six symphonies. Then switch to the late 1940’s to hear Bird & Diz (or the young Miles).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.