If you could prevent ONE musicians death

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Toddarino, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think Lennon comes up in these discussions because he was a global personality who was a big part of many people's life, and he was taken from us brutally.
    Musically he'd been coasting for years and then not done any for 5 years and had just released a fairly bland AOR album that had a couple of great songs. There's no guarantee he would have delivered any more masterpieces, maybe he'd just have chugged along and lived on past merits like McCartney, with a core fanbase buying anything on compulsion.

Tim 2, Djon and All Down The Line like this.
  2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I think it's a very interesting premise for a thread, but in a way it shows how narrowly people think of the question.

Generally the answers have been predicated on the idea that the musician recorded good music so it would nice to have more of it, but there has to be more to this than our greed as listeners. The best reason I've heard so far is whoever it was who said that Lennon had a young son. That would be a reason to argue for Sandy Denny, who left a baby daughter when she died, or for Kurt Cobain.

Another factor: suicides unexpectedly decreased after Kurt Cobain's death. If you save him, it's fair to infer that other lives will have to be sacrificed in his place. By contrast, there was a 10% increase in suicides after the death of Marilyn Monroe and - since she was also a singer - we might be able to do a lot of good to many others by saving her.

Bryan Harris, Djon, vertical and 2 others like this.
  3. Sluggy

Sluggy Forum Resident

Good post. I picked Hendrix as he was still developing at amazing speed when he died, as opposed to Lennon who hadn't really done any groundbreaking work after POB (I do love that record tho) and was pretty much coasting (IMO of course) after 71.

To bring up the impact on the musician's immediate family tho is something I'd never really thought about, and it's a really touching point. Good stuff, Sordel.

Sordel likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Three for me:

Hendrix...Isle Of Wight Festival and then back to New York.
    Zappa...talk to the doctors in the early 80’s and have them check for prostate cancer...early detection!!!!!!!
    Skynyrd...obviously would either get them a NEW plane w/new pilots or get them a state of the art tour bus, before the start of that tour.

Timmy84 likes this.
  5. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

Nice choice but I'd redeem my favourite Mother...

[​IMG]

Sluggy and Former member 30842 like this.
  6. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Since the question isn't "If you could have prevented...": I'll say Bob Dylan--one of the last vestiges of reason in this world.

7. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

If it was up to me, I'd convince Otis Redding to drive himself and the Bar-Kays by bus to that next gig...

Don P. and Turbo2k like this.
  8. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Actually, most of America felt like the world was going to hell from 1975-80, and in retrospect that doesn't seem too far off. Of course, as we learned, it could indeed get worse still. But putting that aside, some artists have a power and significance far beyond the specific records (or movies or paintings or whatever) they produce.

Hendrix was a stratospherically great guitarist. But you ask me whose work -- and mere presence on the planet -- might have done more good for humanity in the years that followed his death, it's Lennon by a mile.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Paul is indeed Dead. Died in 1966. It’s obvious to anyone paying attention.

11. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Not much to add considering everyone's pretty much been mentioned but:
    I'd have stopped Buddy Holly from chartering a plane, saving 3 musicians

OR

I'd stop Sam Cooke from picking up a thieving part-time call girl at the bar that night, stopping the chain of events leading to his untimely demise

12. bladerunner555

bladerunner555 Forum Resident

As much as I love Queen and still have not gotten over Yes with out Chris Squire,my pick would have to be Keith Emerson.It saddens me that he was so worried about his letting his fans down,that he took his own life.
    I mean,what hurts more?Finding out that one of your favorite musicians can no longer play as well as he used to,or finding out that one of your favorite musicians killed himself?

13. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I think John Lennon had a lot of great music left in him and I would have loved to have seen him through the 80s and 90s as a solo artist navigate those tricky waters but also for an inevitable reunion with The Beatles and divorce with Yoko.

Next on the list would be:
    Shannon Noon from Blind Melon
    Bob Marley who died too young

I don’t really feel as much loss for the other usual suspects....Cobain, Hendrix, Buddy Holly, Joplin, MJ, Prince etc.

14. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

My own?

15. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Sam Cooke. He was driving through the parking lot of the Hacienda Motel where a known prostitute had just run off with most of his clothes. He was almost to the street when, for some reason, he stopped his car in the motel's driveway, put it in park, and went into the motel manager's office, accusing her of harboring the girl. A scuffle ensued and the manager shot him. His car was still in park, idling in the driveway, as he bled to death on the office floor. Had he just kept driving....

Timmy84 likes this.
  16. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

George Michael...great singer and composer...extremely talented and generous person.

Timmy84 likes this.
  17. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix

SG47 likes this.
  18. el salmon

el salmon Active Member

Sam Cooke is a great choice.... what a tragedy.

Timmy84 likes this.
  19. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Who's the artist? That painting's quite nice.

drivingtheview likes this.
  20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Otis Redding

He had way more great music ahead of him than behind him.

Bryan Harris, SG47, Turbo2k and 2 others like this.
  21. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Not an easy one. There are so many transcendent musicians who died at what was not just their prime, but what seemed to be the early phase of their prime. That's why I'm not choosing John Lennon, because he already had a huge body of work and probably most of his best work.

Gun to my head, probably Jimi Hendrix. I think he was primed to go many different directions.

Glad to see lots of support for Otis Redding too.

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

John Lennon. Tragic end to an amazing human being.

23. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

no way is that a fair trade

24. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Prince
    Maurice White
    Piotr Grudzinski
    John Bonham
    John Entwistle

...sorry, I tried for only one.

25. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Thread Status: