If you could upgrade today..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bolster, Oct 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Maybe a Vinnie Rossi, some BBC type speakers, and beginning auditions for new cartridges.

2. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

That's a bummer! Vu's vintage room is the one I look forward to visiting the most.

3. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

It won't be made but a TOTL MiniDisc unit to replace the aging JB940QS by.

4. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

5. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Accuphase E-303X
    Sony SS-A5 (1989) speakers

keep present source components...

6. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

I would move from Moving Magnet to Moving Coil. With a nice phono stage.

7. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Wow, that United Home Audio tape deck is a thing of beauty. I'm too lazy to own and operate R2R tape machines, but, I do appreciate what they sound like. On top of good looks and good sound of their machines, the United Home Audio guys are quite nice people.

eflatminor likes this.
  8. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

If we are dreaming, I would like an SME Model 30/12A - includes Series V-12 tonearm.

9. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

I just added a BMC MCCI phono stage to my system . Waiting for the parts to build the DIN cable

10. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Me, too. And one of the Luxman tube integrateds.

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

A big devoted room.

Bingo Bongo, mrz80, Hogues and 2 others like this.
  12. UTP

UTP Forum Resident

I'd like to upgrade my Denon DL-103R to a Ortofon Meister Silver. The Denon is a lovely cartridge I can listen to for hours and hours on end but it seldomly amazes me. It has an estimated 700 hours on the clock so I guess I'm good for a while.

Bolster likes this.
  13. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder.. Thread Starter

Judging by most of what you guys would upgrade to, i'm a man of simple means... My wife says I'm a simple man, I guess that's what she means :shh:

14. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

I'd upgrade to a brand new Technics SL-1200, with an Audio Technica VM760SLC, or fix my Dual 1229 and slap a Shure V15 Mk. III and run it through a Cambridge Audio preamp, and just get a set of Klipsch R-820F speakers and run it all through an old Marantz or Pioneer receiver, among the best money could buy, from the 70s-80s. And, a Nakamichi Dragon tape deck for good measure.

15. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

I'd upgrade speakers without a doubt. While my Tannoys XT8Fs are all around very good performers, I feel they may be holding me back in terms of ultra detail and midrange ommph. Was thinking Salk Encores or Legacy, but it all can wait for a while, mostly until my just turned 4 year old grows up a bit and won't scratch and ding anything.

16. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Wilson Sabrinas would be good, a Lyra Kleos SL would be good. Also perhaps a Pass XP22 preamp and I’d be all set!

17. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

Pythonman likes this.
  18. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Living in NYC means that for me, the upgrade path is one not about the audiophile hardware to make better sound. But rather, the upgrade path would involve the space to hear it in. There is only so much you can do to pressurize a small room untill the sound waves trip on themselves and there isn't enough space to for a a wave form to finish without hitting a wall first. I am not complaining as I have a second bedroom that is my space but at 13.75' x 10.25' I can do whatever my heart desires in audioworld only as long as it can be made to happen in that space. HaHa you might not think .25 foot is important but in my living space, it sure as heck is impotant.

If I could have an upgrade for equipment that I don't need but wouldn't mind having - I'd take a full ensemble of Nagra. That would be different.

19. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

I think I’d go for amplification...Nagra or audio research...reference 750 SE

20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I’d bump my Harbeth M30.1 up to M40.2. The thing that’s holding me back is I believe they’d look ungainly in my living room.

21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Don't regret it. DAT was probably the least reliable format ever. It's difficult to even find working DAT machines anymore. So if you happened to record DAT tapes back in the day, like I did, you're likely screwed today.

Pythonman likes this.
  22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

For myself, it would probably be a set of really nice Focal speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.