if you dont care for room acoustics do you really care for music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slayne, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer Thread Starter

i could be wrong, but it seems room acoustics play quite a big role in how the record you're playing will sound.

so it would make sense you put quite a bit of thought into working and improving on that, that is if you want the record to sound better.

yet i hardly see any discussions or threads about this subject. but there's a million about carts, amps, record pressings etc that - in comparison - should have a much smaller effect on the end result.

im speculating why this is and here's what ive come up with:

1. wives - people have a hard time getting a speaker accepted by their wife, they dont dare to try to change the interior at home.

2. audiophiles are hoarders, they just love stuff. what if their records would sound better if they got rid of half the stuff? its quite possible. but again, that means getting rid of stuff, thats not going to happen.

3. putting absorbers and diffusors on the wall is boring, its not technical enough, its got more in common with painting and carpentry than sexy amplifiers and turntables.

im sorry if i offended you with the post, again i could have it all wrong. maybe it makes hardly any difference what you put on your walls, how you balance your room, whether you put your speakers next to a window or not. intead it's all about matching the right amp with the right speaker, and the room you put them in is irrelevant.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

One can carry anything too far.
    I care about room acoustics, but I am not setting up a recording studio.
    And yes, I do care about music

911s55, shaboo, Dennis Metz and 20 others like this.
  3. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

If YOU don't care for capital letters, why should we care ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  4. Slayne

MY BAD, HOWS THIS WORKING FOR YOU? DO YOU HAVE A PHOTO OF YOUR LISTENING ROOM?

5. Slayne

so what products do you use on your walls and ceiling etc?

6. bever70

Photos,I have plenty. First care about speaker positioning, then care about whether room treatments are needed.

ggergm, dennem and audiomixer like this.
  7. Slick Willie

Nothing....well paint!:cool:

I have cathedral ceilings in my main room, and it's carpeted......I don't even hang a blanket over my TV when spinning!:yikes:

8. Slayne

are not room treatments always needed?

9. bever70

I used the Sumiko Master set up for my speakers. They are setup so that they work with the room, I don't need extra room treatments. As a matter of fact, extra room treatments made it sound worse. Plenty of info on this method to be found online.
    People who use other methods, or cannot place their speakers ideally because of different reasons (living room, waf, size,....) might be better off using room treatments.

BD2665 and dennem like this.
  10. Slayne

so the room doesnt matter? windows? bare walls? ceilings? whether it's a basement or an attic, whether it's 30 feet or 10 feet? thats amazing. ill check it out. here i was thinking that the room affected the sound and it turns out it doesnt, you just need to put the speakers in the right spot.

11. Slick Willie

Seems like he doesn't really care about music...…..don't it!
    :doh:

CBackley and bever70 like this.
  12. Slayne

what is sumiko master? is it like a black belt in audio?

13. Slick Willie

UR asking the wrong poster.

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I have a big super crazy heavy shag carpet and huge box canvas prints to help soften the walls + no reflective surface like a coffee table - so I'm good.

15. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Room treatment is important but I think most audiophiles consider it last, hoping their gear will be good enough to compensate for a bad room. I recently started down the room treatment path and with just the little I have done so far, things are better. A much more cohesive sound.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I also wear one of these on my head - to eliminate a source of reflection

[​IMG]

17. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

If you look at my Avatar, you can see that I believe in treating the room. But, I'm fortunate enough to have a space in our home that I can call my own.

If the only room I had to play music in was our Family Room, then I would do the best I could with what I had to work with, which would be making some concessions to keep the peace.

Dan Steele, ss nimrod and yodog like this.
  18. Slayne

yes thats a factor i have seen quite a few variations of absorbers and diffusers that dont look that bad on the wall of all kinds of materials and colors and shapes so it can be quite stylish.

timind likes this.
  19. timind

timind phorum rezident

Caring about music and caring about music have nothing to do with each other in my view. I'm another who is fortunate to have a dedicated space for music, and yes, it's treated.

Please fill out your equipment profile.

Dennis Metz, CBackley, ggergm and 7 others like this.
  20. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

Just put 4 bratty teenagers in the room- 1 in each corner. They make good bass traps.

21. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Absolutely. There’s music and then there’s sound quality, otherwise I’d never gone to a Knebworth festival!

timind likes this.
  22. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Is your room as harsh as your tone?

23. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Tone controls... how dare you sir!o_O

24. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

OP, considering you're new here and not trolling, I'll give you my honest answer. Let me preface it by saying I've been a musician for over 50 years as well as a music lover. I have decent gear but other than speaker placement, which is the single most important factor in how things will sound in a variety of spaces, I couldn't care less about making that space into a treated room. I wouldn't put baffles, etc. anywhere unless I was recording in a space. My music lives with us and serves us, not vice versa. If I leave something on the table sonically, oh well. I think if being an audiophile is one's primary goal with listening to music and trying to create an experience as close to live as possible, then be prepared to spend thousands, even tens of thousands. In the end, you will still fail to recreate a true live experience, especially with orchestral music.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, tone controls. I will not own an amp without them.

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have plenty of pics, but none to show you with that attitude. :D

bever70, Exotiki, slovell and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.