If you don't want a Bluesound Node 2I - what is it's competition?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Dec 25, 2021.

1. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I have a WiiM Mini Streamer and have played files from my computer that is on the same wifi.

PATB and Rolltide like this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That could very well be true. But only way to find out is to do an equal level blind comparison.

Why is the discussion of A-B, double blind, equal level blind or whatever you want to call it testing so frowned upon? Of all components to do an A-B comparison two streaming components would be the easiest IMO. To me it would validate ones subjective opinion of how a component sounds. I really don't see why that's not a positive thing.

If one feels so strongly that Streamer A sounds so much better than Streamer B then they should be able to ace an A-B comparison. They should be able to pick Streamer A as the one playing 10 out 10 times. If not then it's not that clear cut that Streamer A sounds that superior to Streamer B. Pretty basic concept IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2022
  3. guyfromscene24

guyfromscene24 Forum Resident

Can you hook up a 4TB external to it and play files locally for days when wifi is "slow"?

Bananas&blow and bever70 like this.
  4. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

5. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

I have a Bluesound Node, a BluOS Vault and an original model Auralic Altier. The Altier is now much more expensive but I like the software way better than BluOS.

I like the Bluesound Vault cd transport/burner which includes the Node built in.
    But After having the Altier I now want to get the Innous ZenMini which would replace the Vault because the Altier has no cd burner, but it has a hard disc.

The Innous has the cd burner/hard disc and streamer but getting away from BlueOS.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I watched this before. The review makes one want to try the iFi Zen Stream. It will be the one I'll try next in the future.

BilboAlaska likes this.
  7. mds

mds Forum Resident

Yes, I am very curious if there is something in the $600 range that provides both a decent DAC, Network connectivity and the ability to stream the major streaming sources such as Qobuz, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify and includes an HDMI eARC, optical, coaxial, and RCA inputs. The ability to interface with so many options is very unique. The highlight for me is the eARC input. This makes it a terrific entertainment control center. I understand and would not use this in my primary audio room, but in a family room what is better? If someone knows of the Bluesound Node's direct competition please list them. Yes there are other pieces of equipment in this price range but as far as I know they cannot provide all that the Node does.

8. ColinM

ColinM Active Member

Sorry for the late reply.

With the Linn, there was far more detail & clarity
    (not all initially welcome, like finger noise on strings etc)

The Cocktail Audio had a good degree of the positive qualities.
    The Bluesound Node was quite dull & lifeless by comparison.

In each case, I used the built in DAC

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  9. mds

mds Forum Resident

I do not believe this come in at $600 US, new, does it?

10. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

Thanks for sharing your observations. I'll have to listen to some Linn digital equipment again at some time. I'll probably want to do that without taking my wallet. My experience is that Linn digital sounds good, but is also priced accordingly.

11. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

From the looks of the OP’s equipment profile, he’s already purchased the Bluesound Node 2. But I’ll add this - if you already have a really good DAC, I don’t see why adding a Raspberry Pi streamer (without the DAC HAT) wouldn’t be the way to go. In my case, I already have a Benchmark DAC3 HGC, so I just added a <$100 Raspberry Pi running (free) Volumio. Took only minutes to set up, and I get the benefit of leveraging the DAC I already own.

edwyun, Anonymouse and Tim 2 like this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I see many use the Raspberry Pi. But it seems like a kit and more for those that are computer savvy which I'm not. I'd prefer a streaming device like the iFi Zen Stream that is more user friendly.

edwyun, Tim S, Tim 2 and 2 others like this.
  13. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

Same here. That said, I’ve been following some on the Zen Stream discussion and it seems like it is a bit fussy.

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. BIGGER Dave

Well, I will admit I had to read a couple online articles and watched a few YouTube videos before I got the gist of what it was about. I think what’s needed is a straightforward step-by-step list, and then it should demystify the process. I’ll take a stab at it:

Order the following from Raspberry Pi , or eBay, or Amazon, etc…

* Raspberry Pi 4B, with a minimum of 2 GB memory (probably about $45 when in stock)
    * Power Supply for Raspberry Pi 4B, 5.1V 3.0A (about $8)
    * A case designed for the Raspberry Pi 4B, plastic cases start around $5, metal cases start around $20
    * MicroSD Card. I went with a SanDisk Ultra 64GB, was $12 on Amazon
    * If you don’t already own one, a USB cable to connect the Raspberry Pi to your DAC

Assembly:

1. First you’ll need to download an operating software for the Raspberry Pi. I chose Volumio as it is popular and FREE. From a PC, go to Get Started | Volumio . Click on the links to download Volumio and Balena Etcher. Volumio is the operating software (OS) and Belena Etcher is the software that writes Volumio to the MicroSD card. (Note - I use a Windows PC, the process may be different for Apple).

2. Insert the MicroSD card into the SD card slot on your PC (assuming you have a PC with an SD card slot), using Belena Etcher, write the Volumio OS to the MicroSD card. Takes a couple minutes.

3. Remove the MicroSD card from your PC, and slip it into the MicroSD card slot on the Rapberry Pi board. Place the Raspberry Pi in the case, attach the power supply, and run a USB cable from the Raspberry Pi to your DAC.

4. Plug the power supply into a wall outlet. Wait for the Raspberry Pi to boot, first time takes a few minutes.

5. From a mobile device (iPad, iPhone, Android phone, etc), download the Volumio app. Launch the app and sign up for a free account. Allow the app to find the Raspberry Pi over your local WiFi (you’ll need your WiFi User Name and password). Volumio should also find the DAC that is attached to your Raspberry Pi.

6. If your media is located on a NAS (like a Synology Network Attached Storage), Volumio should find it and you can start streaming! If you’d rather burn your media to a USB drive and plug that into the Raspberry Pi, you can do that too.

That's about it! I was up and running in less than an hour after USPS dropped off my kit.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thank you for taking the time to post this, much appreciated! It'll give me something to think about as the price is quite low.

Tim S and BIGGER Dave like this.
  16. BIGGER Dave

You’re welcome! But I’ll go one further, if you decide you want to move ahead with a Raspberry Pi setup, but the MicroSD card config part looks challenging, I’ll do that for you. I’ll order the MicroSD SanDisk card from Amazon, I’ll do Steps #1 and #2, and then mail it to you. You’ll just have to PayPal me the price of the MicroSD card (about $12) plus the price of a stamp to mail it to you. So about $13. Then you’ll pick up the process at Step #3. If that sounds good to you, IM me. :righton:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    RoyalScam, Tim S, grx8 and 3 others like this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks so much for the offer :)! If I decide to go with the Raspberry Pi I'll definitely take you up on your very generous offer.

McLover and BIGGER Dave like this.
  18. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Allo Boss products are preassembled Pi options

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This makes me want to get a Raspberry Pi and try one myself. And I know Linux well enough to try this and make one maybe work. How about that? Bill Mac, I'd do this one.

20. Calvin_and_Hobbes

Calvin_and_Hobbes Music Lover

The Pro-ject Stream Box is a RPi with an optimized power supply and USB input/output and pre-loaded Volumio software. They seem to be running about $400-450 used.

21. BIGGER Dave

I looked over their website and it appears the DigiOne Player with RPi4 2GB and cheapest power supply is most similar to what I built, although theirs adds SPDIF output. Priced at $195 plus $30 shipping to the US (total $225). My version came in right at $100 so I suppose the difference is the added SPDIF output and the labor for formatting the MicroSD card.

DigiOne Player SPDIF Out

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

McLover if you can even pronounce the word Linux I guarantee you can set this up and make it work. It’s pretty empowering and I’ll keep an eye on this thread also to offer support. I have several Roon endpoints around the house built on Raspberry PIs and they are solid as a rock. So to speak. And it’s fun.

Now I also operate a couple of the current gen Nodes and they are a very nice product. But you can def. spend way less money for streaming endpoints that work and sound great.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    McLover likes this.
  23. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

So far the Wiim impresses

imsjry likes this.
  24. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I checked out their page (was previously unaware of this product), and that looks like a great option for folks that don’t want to mess with DIY.

Options are great… one of the things I love most about digital hifi is there’s a million ways to do it and they all sound great.

25. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Cool guy! :cheers: