If you had $1000-$1500 for an Integrated Amp and Speakers.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cosmicott, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

In your opinion, does the Brio have enough power to do justice to the LS50s?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I think it should. Yes you often see folks use high-power amps with the LS50, but I ran mine with the 105 WPC Elicit-R , and it could absolutely crank them. I also used a 22 WPC SET tube amp, and it ran them with ease (sounded incredible tonally btw).

Helom and wellers73 like this.
  3. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

There's some very good Chinese made EL34 tube integrateds and lots of very good speakers for this money. That's how I'd go.

4. Cosmicott

Cosmicott Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone have experience with Martin Logan's Motion 15's and Wharfedale 80th? From reading descriptions, they both look great, - but I haven't heard them and likely will not unless I order them and try them. Both are on sale... at around $500/Pair

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  5. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

I've owned the Motion 15's, with the AMT tweeter, and they sounded very good, and were easy to drive. But, everything I've read about the Wharfdales says they are excellent speakers, so you probably can't go wrong with either.

6. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Try just the Brio first in your current setup. That might fix your issues; if not, then maybe new speakers, maybe Q Acoustics 3030i's. Warmth and groove coming your way.

As a general rule, swap out components one at a time; that way, if things still aren't right, you have some idea where the problems actually lie.

7. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

80th and Brio would be nice :righton:

bhazen and Art K like this.
  8. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Getting a decent soundstage in a 10x20 room is going to tough. Before spending a lot of money on new equipment I would suggest experimenting with speaker positions, toe in, and where you sit. Then look at room treatments, whether it’s a rug, drapes, or whatever. You need to control your side wall reflections in a room that shape.

Ro-Go likes this.
  9. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident

Look up the Cardas method for speaker placement, what I realized after spending too much $$$ in this hobby: no upgrades are worth it until you have the correct speaker setup for the room, otherwise you don't hear the upgrades (or even differences in sound).

So, no matter your budget:

step 1: make sure speakers are in correct position
    step 2: now you can analyze subtle differences in equipment
    step 3: now you can make an informed choice on what needs upgrading

okc_craft, Cosmicott and bgiliberti like this.
  10. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

This one is easy :) Used Rega Brio-R and new Triangle Bro3 (Warm and big soundstage). Spend the rest of the budget on a used phono pre-amp as the one in the Brio-R could be better.

11. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

Seas A26 kit with a lm3875 gainclone. 200$ for the gainclone and 1300$ for the speakers. this is what i use in the summer. killer setup

RhodesSupremacy and bhazen like this.
  12. bgiliberti

Personally, I think it's doubtful. The LS50s really benefit from high current, big power supply, amps with a lot of "grunt." At 50W and just 11.2 lbs., the Brio, while a fine piece of gear, does meet that criteria.

13. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

PSB Alpha 5 are remarkably similar to LS-50's for a third the price. I own a pair - they're crazy good.

That leaves a grand for an amp. Not sure what I'd recommend there. Maybe a Cambridge Audio.

14. Cosmicott

What about Human 81 and Human 61 speakers?

bhazen likes this.
  15. bgiliberti

That's pretty amazing. Just curious, since you are The Man on the small box Brits, how do the Alpha 5's compare in sound to other LS3/5 hommages.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  16. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

It's a funny thing. I have a Hegel H90 in my office system. Speakers vary, but usually one of my Proac Tablette 10's.

I'll switch them out with the PSB's and yeah.... the Proac are better. THEY'RE BETTER. But the thing is... I really don't care much. I'd be perfectly happy with the PSB's. Cause yeah, the Proac's are better but the PSB's are real easy to live with too.

In my serious room (the vinyl room) I have a pair of Skylan stands, and a serious front end and sub. I've always been tempted to put the PSB's in the room, on those Skylan stands with that $1800 subwoofer and see how they compare to the Proac's. But I never have. I think I don't really want to know.

So yeah, the PSB's with a really good amp - amazing.

bhazen, black sheriff, Helom and 4 others like this.
  17. Cosmicott

bgiliberti likes this.
  18. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

Been looking at that Seas kit as a possible upgrade to my Snell J/ii. I will be going DIY, as I upgraded/veneered the Snells and have the wherewithal to do it. For the OP though, if he can DIY, I'd go GR Research x-ls encore. Flat packs can be had on the net for those and you can get in for <$500.

The gainclone looks awesome. Can you point us to where you sourced either components for build or finished piece?

19. Helom

Helom Forum member

A member here has the 81s and seemed quite happy with them. I can only comment on the sound from the perspective of the EPI 100s from which they were inspired.

I bought a re-foamed pair of EPI 100s off Craigslist, they are all-original otherwise, even the crossover caps. The 100s are capable of embarrassing most modern bookshelves I've heard under $1K/pair. Imaging suffers a little because the driver mountings are not mirrored but that's mostly alleviated through toe-in adjustments.

I would assume Hu makes the 81s as "mirrored" pairs but it's worth an inquiry. Also, I perused his site recently and it appears that he can offer real-wood veneers as a premium option.

bgiliberti likes this.
  20. james

james Summon The Queen

I had the combo. It works but it's not the LS50's at their best, IMO.

21. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

lm3875 gainclone is a clone of the original gaincard

22. bgiliberti

I owned a pair of the original, slightly larger EPIs (can't recall the model) back in the 70s/80s I think. Real easy-going, lively sound, loved them with my AR Amp. Not truly monitor type like the KEF 103.2s I traded them in for, but many good memories. Would love to hear the modern iterations.

Helom likes this.
  23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I like this suggestion since I’m interested in trying them myself!

Your amp “should” have no problems driving them. I do wonder about your comment on the Allisons tho, “couldn’t drive them at all” seems concerning. I hope not but wonder if the amp is defective. The Atoms running out of gas at high volumes isn’t surprising tho.

SO ... get the Lintons and live happily ever after. :winkgrin:

Cosmicott and bluemooze like this.
  24. Cosmicott

he Allisons were rather huge... they had two rather large 10-12inch woofers each... The things weighed 60
    Well, I ordered the 81's... from Human. I am hoping that they are a great bang for the buck. I feel good about the reviews and good about the person making them. I've had good luck with custom made electronics, furniture and etc... I'll be sure to post my thoughts for others as it was tough finding a lot of review information.

I suppose in about 2-4 weeks, I'll be trying to decide which amp between the Brio, Yamaha, Rogue, Rotel and Arcam and what others folks suggest.
    I can probably afford an Amp on the higher end of my budget now.

25. Helom

Helom Forum member

Congrats! Looking forward to the results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.