SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Yes it is. Probably the most spun in the set so far aside from Beatles for Sale and Pepper.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

OK, good. Don't be using that button with CD's.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  3. AppleCorp3

I sure won't. But I'll probably start playing the heck out of all the mono 45s i've picked up recently!

4. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I am having trouble finding the correct name for this mono cable in Germany. If anyone knows the correct name or can provide a link / tip I'd be most grateful.

5. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

On Amazon.de, you need the following,

1) Plug your turntables RCA cable into one of these,

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B003PTVM3W

2) Plug that into this (sorry, I couldn't find a better audiophile quality version of this product),

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00XVIEZR2

Then simply run a standard RCA stereo cable from item #2 into your hifi.

Enjoy!

timnor likes this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Obviously I'm extremely late coming into this discussion but truer words were never spoken and I'd love to share a personal experience of mine.

When I first bought the Beatles mono (vinyl) box, I was extremely disappointed-most particularly-in the sibilance throughout much of Rubber Soul. The high pitched, distorted "S's" on songs like Nowhere man and If I Needed Someone were, truly, unbearable.

After doing a bit of research which included creating discussion threads about this on other forums (I believe, here as well), I found out about the Y-cable hookup. Upon hooking it up and re-listening to the album, I was nothing short of astounded at the difference!! It was like hearing a whole other mix of the album.

I'm not incredibly technical so I don't fully understand why the stereo signal of the mono mix presents all that distortion which SIGNIFICANTLY decreases with a true mono signal (I've also had this experience with some of the re-issued Beatles 45's that have come out in box sets over the last few years). But I know what my ears tell me; a true mono hookup for mono records is without ANY question in my mind, the way to go.

AJK74 likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, I'm glad you're happy but I do believe your cartridge is mistracking. I would look into that, pronto!

8. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Is there a benefit from summing the signal of an "electronically re-channeled for stereo" record? I would much rather hear a decent mono signal than an awful rechanneled for stereo sound.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Steve. was that respond to me..? With the exception of a small bit of distortion primarily towards the center of an occasional record, I've never experienced that type of sibilance before on other Lp's (stereo or mono, to be specific). For what it's worth, my cartridge is a Clear Audio Concept V2 installed professionally on to a Music Hall mmf 2.2 le turntable; not exactly state of the art, but pretty consistent setup, overall.

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No.

11. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

To keep it cheap and simple I recommend a strong reciever with a mono button and an old fashion round stylus (Shure M44 recommended). Works for me and gives top audio if the vinyl allows.

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Well that depends on the kind of re-channeling that was done to the sound. It it's a simple case of highs on one side and lows on the other, then a collapse to mono can sound pretty decent. If it's got echoes and delays, then forget it.

I think my copy of DAVE CLARK FIVE'S GREATEST HITS turned out well when collapsed to mono, since all they did was put the highs in one channel and the lows on the other.

Harry

13. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Before I read your post, I was coincidentally experimenting with Dave Clark Five's "Coast To Coast" which is electronically re-channeled for stereo with the highs on one side and the lows on the other. As you said, it sounded decent. I think this is the only re-channeled for stereo vinyl that I have. Nice! I'll spend some more time with this album now.

14. Jos79

Jos79 Forum Resident

timnor likes this.
  15. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Mono when done right is an amazing experience. For me personally on some of my jazz LP's mono beats stereo in it's illusion of being in the room with the artist. I'm not sure why except maybe for the fact that it's just the straight up mix with no L to R balancing from a producer. Sometimes I actually think I can hear where in the studio the instruments are, sort of a stereo effect but less separation with more punch in the back of the recording.

Sent from my PC while drinking a Samuel Adams Oktoberfest.:)

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

You still might want to tone down some of the excess highs the used, and maybe nudge up the bass a little.

Harry

britt2001b likes this.
  17. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

You're spot on! Once again, before I read your reply post, I discovered that it sounded better with the loudness switch activated. Of course, this increased the bass a bit. Thanks!

18. AppleCorp3

I agree! Stand back from the speakers and listen to the sound fill up the room. I know exactly what you mean.

Edit: The only thing better than Sam Octoberfest is Sam Winter!

mahanusafa02 and Gregory Earl like this.
  19. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Hotdog likes this.
  20. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

I only spin the small silver disks but I've got a bunch of older jazz recording that are "false stereo" with a hard separation of horns on one channel and rhythm players on the other. I find this annoying, especially hearing the drums only on one side. My integrated amp (NAD) lacks a mono button but it does have a tape monitor loop. Ordered some RCA cables from Amazon yesterday to make a double-Y configuration. Love this Forum.

21. AppleCorp3

I'm not sure that's exactly "false" stereo if the instruments were purposely positioned as you stated. It may not be ideal (pop suffers from the same weirdness) but it's still true separation.

If high and low frequencies were filtered and then panned - with generous amounts of echo usually - that would be "fake" stereo.

I agree that the hard panning is not great - I personally prefer the mono mixes of the first two Beatle albums because I don't care for the instruments left and vocals right configuration. Are mono mixes available for those recordings?

22. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification. I never knew what to call it before so I will use the term "hard panned" now. Mono mixes are available for some old recordings but not others. The tape loop mono trick will allow me to choose which way I prefer to hear any recording. :)

23. AppleCorp3

That's perhaps the one good thing about that extreme separation - it collapses to mono very nicely!

It's great to have options :)

24. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Thanks for the discussion, I now understand WHY the mono button improves the sound. Since upgrading to a pre-amp without a mono button, I've used the Y-adaptors, and have been considering installing a switch on the rear of my higher-end turntable to short the L+R signal (as in the switchbox design).

I do have some questions for engineers with experience at the higher-end, coming from a purist perspective in order to maintain the highest audio quality (these issues would be negligible in lower-quality equipment):

1. Because the L+R signal come together in a switch, is there any possibility that the proximity may slightly reduce stereo separation/quality when in stereo mode?

2. I understand that the shortest audio path provides the least signal degradation. Therefore, should the wires to the switch be as short as possible (ie, the switch located close to the tonearm wire connections), or would it be OK to locate the switch on the other side or front of the turntable using longer wire without risk of signal degradation?

3. Quality of wire - Would using thick multi-strand oxygen-free cable be best for sonic purity, or would cheap wire be just as effective?

4. Earth shielding - Would using coax cable with earth shielding be a good preventative investment?

Thank-you in advance for your learned advice.

25. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Further to my post above, to clarify:

• I recognise that using low-quality adaptors to sum L+R vinyl mono will result in an improved sound, I'm not debating that. I'm looking to maximise and maintain high-quality sonics when playing mono and stereo whist maintaining flexibility for mono.

• I note that in another thread on this topic ("Dumb Question about Mono Vinyl Playback"), one member using a double-Y RCA cable configuration to sum L+R to mono found a significant difference between RadioShack and Monster brand adaptors. So short lengths of poor quality cable do influence the sound quality. But this is a slightly different scenario - having an adaptor in-line with RCA cables, rather than incorporating a switch within the turntable hardware.