SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. tbone

tbone Forum Resident

2. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

If you had a mono switch in your system, you can interactively change from stereo to mono as the LP plays. This can be either a mono switch on your amp, or a switchbox inline with your rca leads as an alternative to the double-y configuration (as detailed earlier in this thread).
    Another solution would be to make a digital copy and burn to CD, using software to combine the channels of the mono tracks.

3. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Hello @stevehoffman Sorry to bring this discussion again. Recently i bought a new Nad integrated amplifier C 316bee and a Nad Pp2e phono stage pre amp. I got the Y cables but I was wondering if i'm listening to a Stereo record i have to turn off the Y cables? And if i'm going to play a true mono record i have to connect the cables again?
    Thank you

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The answer is yes. The y-cable sums the two channels into one. If you want to hear stereo again, you have to un-sum them.

And make sure the y-cable runs between the phono stage and the integrated, not between the turntable and phono stage.

beatleswho likes this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, you would have to switch out the Y cables and go back to the stereo cables only, for stereo.

beatleswho likes this.
  6. beatleswho

Thank you very much!!

7. AnalogJ

You are welcome. And enjoy.

8. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Why?? What's wrong with summing the channels at the cart or before phono/pre-amp stage?

9. AnalogJ

The signal from the cartridge itself is VERY small and delicate. You will change the resistance of the signal quite a bit if you put in another cable and connector in-between. Believe me, I have tried it before and after the phono stage. HUGE difference. The phono stage not only adds the RIAA equalization, but also amplifies and strengthens the signal to the preamplifier on the integrated. You'll hear much less degradation of the sound.

ZippyPippy and 389 Tripower like this.
  10. beatleswho

Wow, this new Nad setup sounds amazing!!!

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The issue isn't so much putting a cable in-between (although that's not ideal), it's that the two channels are bridged together. That's what creates most of the problem.

12. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Or, just hook up the double-Y cables to the tape monitor loop. Then it's just the push of a button to go between stereo and mono. No cable switching needed. :)

krisbee and beatleswho like this.
  13. beatleswho

How that works? The nad amp have a tape button and a tape enter on the back.

14. 389 Tripower

Ok - I have no knowledge to dispute that. I asked because I do have one integrated stereo amp without a mono switch, but have never played mono records on it (yet). I may need to do it someday.
    I've heard of people summing the channels with a connector (strap) at the back of a cart itself.

15. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

I have a similar amp, the 326BEE. Hook up each of the double-jack ends of the Y cables to the "tape out" and "tape in" connections on the back. Then you will have 2 free jacks left, one on each of the Y cables. These two need to be connected to each other so you may need an adapter, such as an RCA female-female adapter. After these are connected together, when you press the tape monitor button on your amp the signal will go through the "tape out" connection, be summed into mono by the first Y cable, then pass to the second Y cable where it will be split into 2 (both mono now) and enter the amp through the "tape in" connection.

That sounds a little complicated but if you lay out the cables and look at it beforehand it's actually quite simple.

16. 389 Tripower

Oh Yeah - Thorough the tape monitor loop - I forgot about that!

17. AnalogJ

Um. No. You'd be bridging two channels after the phono stage as well, and there's a BIG difference in the degradation to the signal by combining them before the phono stage (unless you, of course, have a mono cartridge to begin with).

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Um. Yes.

The point is that bridging them before the phono stage creates a much larger impedance problem than it does bridging them after. And that impedance problem is what affects the sound.

The impedance change from the cables themselves (without any bridging) should be fairly minor.

19. AnalogJ

Well, then we're in agreement. Bridging after the phono stage is better. :cheers:

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

What I would do in a case like this, to avoid having to swap cables, is to connect two Y-cabels together (at their "mono" ends) and then put those in the tape "in" and "out" jacks, thus making the "tape" monitoring button a mono switch. (Unless of course you set-up includes a tape deck, in which case those jacks are used already.)

Edit: Sorry, this was apparently already mentioned and explained!

21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Yea, kind of a pain. You could also buy a Stereo/Mono switch. Forum member @xmas111 makes & sells these here at very reasonable prices. They work like a charm. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stereo-mono-switch.386061/

xmas111 likes this.
  22. qwerty

The Y cables are for listening to mono records only.
    If you use them for a stereo record, the L+R channels will be combined to produce a mono signal, but it will not be true mono because anything mixed in the center channel will slightly louder than in the stereo mix.

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Yes & yes.

24. PeteFior

PeteFior Active Member

25. qwerty

The link worked OK for me just then. The mono switches are easy to make yourself if you are OK with basic soldering.