SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

  1. qwerty

    qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

    I think Mal explained it here:

    Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  2. Thanks a lot!
    qwerty likes this.
  3. wolfyboy3

    wolfyboy3 Now I'm Prune Tracey

    Hi guys first post here so take it easy on me... Above, Steve Hoffman says in this quote that you can place the y adapters between the turntable and the phono stage (highlighted sentence fragment). I am hoping he is correct about this, since I have been doing it for the last 30 minutes on my new tt. Anyone else with experience doing this? Should I stop immediately? Thanks.
    john morris and redfox62 like this.
  4. qwerty

    qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

    Hi Wolfboy, welcome to the forums. I hope you find it an enjoyable place to hang out.

    If you post any comments about your hifi, it is expected that you list your equipment in your profile - this will put a context to your comments and help others assist you. Whilst there are participants here who have mega-expensive systems, there are many who have entry-level gear. So don't be embarrassed if your gear is nothing special at this stage. All audiophiles start with basic gear, then start the upgrading cycle!

    Now to your question:

    • If you plug your turntable into a phono preamp, which is then plugged into your amplifier (integrated amp or a pre-amp), then the best place for the double-Y is between the phono preamp and the amplifier.

    • If you plug your turntable into a "phono" socket in the back of your amplifier (integrated amp or a pre-amp), then you have no option where the double-Y goes - it must be between your turntable and the amp. Technically, this is not the best place for it, as the leads between the turntable cartridge and phono stage need to be low capacitance (whereas line-stage RCA interconnect does not need to be low capacitance). The double-Y could increase the capacitance, which may result in a slight decrease in some high frequencies. This shouldn't be a concern given the benefits of listening to mono records with the adapter. No damage will be done using it in this way.

    • Some notes:
    - If your amplifier has a mono button/switch, use this instead of the double-Y.
    - Only use the double-Y for listening to records pressed as mono - using it for stereo records won't give an accurate mono experience.
    - Hope you enjoy your new turntable and the records experience!
    KeninDC, iloveguitars, marcb and 2 others like this.
  5. wolfyboy3

    wolfyboy3 Now I'm Prune Tracey

    qwerty- thanks for the informative response. I updated my profile with my system info just now. I have an integrated with a phono input and no pre at all so I guess it goes where I put it before- between the tt and the integrated. I listened to a mono pressing of Rolling Stones- Big Hits- High Tides and Green Grass- and it sounded really nice. Thanks again for your help!!
    KeninDC and qwerty like this.
  6. qwerty

    qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

    [QUOTE="wolfyboy3, post: 17822773, member: 83165"... I listened to a mono pressing of Rolling Stones- Big Hits- High Tides and Green Grass- and it sounded really nice...[/QUOTE]
    A great album to enjoy in mono - I was given one recently. Enjoy.
    DK Pete and wolfyboy3 like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

    Steve Hoffman Mastering Engineer Your Host Thread Starter

  8. RPM

    RPM Forum Resident

    Easter Island
    Is this safely doable with xlr cables from-to balanced outputs-inputs?
  9. qwerty

    qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

    I would expect that it's the same with balanced cables, but I don't have much experience in this area, someone with more technical knowledge may be able to give a more informed opinion.

    However, since this thread opened, I've read a number of technically-informed opinions saying that a double-y configuration may not be advisable for some amplifiers. I'm not a technie, so can't (from memory) explain why, but the reasoning is something like a double-y (or equivalent) changes the load expected by an amplifier. While some amplifiers can cope well (which is why many say the double-y works without problems), some amp's don't (valve amps may be more prone to difficulties). The addition of a couple of resistors inline with a mono adaptor is more technically correct (and only costs a few cents more).
  10. john morris

    john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

    Toronto, Ontario
    Why My Uncle purchased three is a mystery to me sir.
  11. john morris

    john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

    Toronto, Ontario
    If your integrated amp or receiver has a tape loop you can make a poor man's mono button. Connect a Y-adapter (will combine both channels into two) from the tape out jack. You now have a mono signal and one RCA plug. Take an adapter that will be RCA female on one end that will split into two RCA males on the other. Now connect the RCA female end to your RCA male plug. Connect the two RCA male plugs into the left and right Jack's of your tape input loop. Any time you want mono (say to play back mono records) just switch your tape loop to TAPE. Voila! Instant mono button. You can connect and EQ into the tape loop and use the TAPE LOOP switch to take it IN and OUT of the circuit. So when you don't need an equalizer in your system affecting the sound you can take it out as easy as pie.........3.14

    Many music stores like Long and Mcquad also sell adapters and splitters of this kind. And of much better quality. Well....I if you don't mind paying the price.
    qwerty likes this.
  12. john morris

    john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

    Toronto, Ontario
    Good question. As long as you keep it XLR balanced all the way through then there shouldn't be a problem. There are XLR adapters and splitters.

    On a similar issue I had a friend who was transferring all of his reel to reel 7.5 ips tapes to digital. At the time it was to a HB professional CD recorder back in 2001. Some of his tapes were mono. I told him to take the best channel (loudest with the least noise) and split it with a good adapter so a real mono signal could go to his CD recorder. Even when I was 15 I knew to do this when I was copying a mono cassette to another cassette. And yet some mastering engineers are unaware of this. I purchased some Beach Boys Hits CD back in the late 90's and all the mono singles were way of centre. Like 10 0' clock of center! Couldn't they hear this? No way these were copied off any quarter inch full track machine. They used quarter inch half track. Are they that clueless?

    Some of this tapes were as above commercial releases but some were recorded from mono records but with a stereo cartridge. I told him to combine the channels from the output of his reel to reel and then split the one mono signal into two on it's way into the CD recorder. This way his mono records would be way quieter.
    qwerty likes this.

Share This Page