Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Didn’t want to start a new thread because it ties in with this original so nicely. Pretty excited to get my new Who Sell Out Mono pressing. I was thinking that with newly pressed albums like The Who, some Donovan titles were pressed recently, and anything Mono over the last couple years. My question, are they actually pressed for mono playback or simply a dedicated mono mix pressed to be played by stereo cartridges? I noticed my mono cartridge sounded great on the Beatles box and the mono Hendrix - Axis pressing. The Nilsson Mono albums that were reissued sounded better with the stereo set up. That’s what got me thinking about playback again. I’m curious about this.

Keith V and eyeCalypso like this.
  2. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Original mono records were cut with a mono cutting head for the mono cart's that were common at the time.
    I believe that many mono reissue albums are cut with a mono signal into a stereo cutting head for stereo cartridges (common now).
    The bottom line is that your playback with individual mono albums will need experimentation to work out the best reproduction strategy for each disk.