SH Spotlight If you have a turntable you need to play your mono records in true MONO. How to do it cheaply..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 14, 2006.

1. Now I have a question: I don't have a double Y adapter (yet). For playing mono records I just set up my sound card for mono output and, if I want to record a needledrop, I create a mono file for recording. What practical difference(s) does this create when compared with the use of a double Y adapter?

2. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

I like my mono "Ram" lp much better now, thank you.

3. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident

As long as I can use the headphone jack during this than I can definitely make a A/B comparison. Once my cables arrive I will do that with my Capitol Rubber Soul or Yesterday and Today.

icirider likes this.
  4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

So what do the proponents of the "double Y" method think of this --> http://www.rane.com/note109.html

It basically warns against such a method, but it seems to me that if you passively sum the tonearm cable there should be no issues.
    For years I used a phono pre (ARC PH5) that had a mono switch, but now I've moved up to a ModWright LS100 with no mono switch.
    I don't think its advisable to sum between pre and power.
    What do you guys think?

5. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Same preamp, same boat as you John.

I had to do the Rane method to hook up my sub, and it worked out just fine.

I believe the problem arrises when you put two output signals into one single input.
    There's usually not a problem when you split a single output signal into two inputs, but when you try to combine two outputs into a single input, you can overload the input from adding the two channels together. That's why you need to use the Rane method, and add a resistor to attenuate the signal.
    When you use the double Y Adapter method, you're combining the signal with the first pair making it mono, and then the second Y Adapter splitting that mono signal into two mono signals that will bring the signal back to it's appropriate gain value after being combined by the first Y Adapter.

I would do it between the turntable and phono unit, or phono unit and preamp. I myself, would shy away from doing it between the preamp & power amp.

Somebody please correct me if I've got this wrong!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    John Moschella likes this.
  6. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Sorry, i can't read all the comments, but i have twi questions!

1. I have an amplifier, not a receiver, without the mono choice button. I still need the Y cable?

2. If i install the Y cable to listen to a mono Lp, then i have to remove the Y cable to listen to a Stereo Lp?

Thanks!

7. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

so, on my late 70s JVC receiver, i should always enable the "mono button", when enjoying mono records? cause i have like a standard shure cart n stuff

8. Citroen

Citroen vinylholic

9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Yes

10. Wally Swift

1. For older mono records, yes in most cases. For newer mono reissues, sometimes.
    2. If it's between the TT and the amp, yes. If it's a tape out/tape in loop, no.

11. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Yes & yes

12. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

does anybody know if the various Sundazed mono reissues like the dylans, etc. benefit from the double Y? I have several of these myself. Also several chess masters reissues of John Lee H and Howlin' Wolf that are mono

13. Wally Swift

I have the Sundazed reissue of the first Elevators LP. It sounds the same with or without the summed channels. If I was only listening to modern mono reissues I wouldn't bother constantly changing double Y connectors back and forth. But I'm glad I have mono switches on both my receivers just in case.

Budysr likes this.
  14. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

Just to confirm: if your receiver has a "mono/stereo" switch, the Y-jack thing is completely unnecessary?

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Correct.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

If it's true mono, yes, you remove the "stereo noise" that your good system is trying hard to reproduce, even though the music is mono. Watch your woofers bounce in the stereo mode. Now, use the double Y and watch your woofers no longer bounce. Many benefits to this simple, cheap process.

17. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

Y'know I have a newer receiver that actually has a "Full Mono" setting, but I'm almost certain this is just for movies and would not solve the summing issue.

18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

marcfeld69 likes this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Also, if I wanted to try the tape loop method, I would need two of these: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=6261&seq=1&format=2 and one of these to connect them: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042904&p_id=7234&seq=1&format=2, right?

But that will only work if my receiver has a Tape Monitor function? Or will it work if I set my receiver to Tape?

Seriously confused. Never heard of doing this before, but it's inexpensive to try.

20. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Since hearing is believing, I did a quick needledrop to show the "before-and-after" of using the double Y-cable setup. I'm using a Technics SL-1200 turntable with a Shure M44 cartridge (with 0.7mil conical stylus)...my main cartridge for 45s and 78s...run through an inexpensive TC-750LC phono amp, then input into my computer.

The record I choose is a mono pressing of Simon and Garfunkel's "Fakin It," taken from a Columbia Records "Hall of Fame" styrene 45 pressing.

Here is the link to download the audio clip:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9vWZzgAX8ASb2U0bjAwZVMxams/edit?usp=sharing

The first part of the audio clip is the song with just a standard stereo playback (stereo cartridge to stereo phono amp to stereo inputs on my computer). The second part of the clip is the same portion of the song, with the double Y-cable installed in the chain to sum the channels and produce mono playback. (Note: Using headphones to compare the tracks might be more useful, as you'll better be able to pick out the differences between the clips.)

Here are things to listen for:

1. The stereo surface noise...crackles from each groove wall are reduced to a quieter level, with the noise pushed into the "middle" where it's better covered over by the music. The noise doesn't go away completely, of course, but it is less noticeable overall. (If I had used a noisier 45, the difference would have been more dramatic...but the reasons for using this particular 45 will be clear with #3 below.)

2. The stereo cartridge doesn't present both channels evenly, with the right channel having a touch more volume. Granted, it's an inexpensive cartridge, so perfection is not to be expected. But the double Y-cable takes care of that and both channels (after summing) play at perfectly equal volumes, as you would desire for mono playback.

3. The double Y-cable also reduces other out-of-phase artifacts such as groove wear, peak distortions, and sibilance...when those issues affect each channel differently. The effect is pretty dramatic on this sound clip. Listen for all of the sibilance from Paul Simon's vocals ("ssssssuch a dubious sssssoul"). The double Y-cable doesn't fully eliminate the sibilance, but it is ssssssignificantly reduced.

Overall, the 45 is much more enjoyable after the channels are summed together.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    BuzzMan, Bryce, EdogawaRampo and 4 others like this.
  21. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Thanks Gort/Mod

No, I found a pdf instruction manual online it does not have a Mono button, I wish I had known about this new release before getting the Amp, my old vintage 1970's amp had a 'Mono' button, but that may have been just the radio. Its a shame because I never even realised and consider it was needed, been playing original UK Beatle Mono's for years :(

22. Maidenpriest

Far too expensive for us normal working class people, there has to be a cheaper option with out having to change phono leads :)

23. Maidenpriest

If that works that sounds like a great solution because the wires are so tight behind my system to get to, thanks for posting :)

24. russellsd

russellsd Forum Resident

Is it absolutely necessary to put the Y after the pre-amp? I have a Project Phono-USB, which acts as my pre-amp and also analog to digital converter for my needle drops. I'd prefer to get rid of the noise before recording.

25. Maidenpriest

Do what ? I have a Tape Monitor input, please explain what plugs go where etc