If you haven't seen Matrix Reloaded yet...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Drew, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

Drew Senior Member Thread Starter

You can always wait for it to come to IMAX:

http://www.imax.com

Other than the bigger screen, anyone know what the benefit would be if it wasn't filmed in the native 70mm IMAX format?

2. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Be aware that a fair amount of running time must be cut for the movie to be shown in IMAX.

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Really? How much, and why?

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I went to see both Apollo 13 and The Lion King on the IMAX screen. Apollo 13 was trimmed, but I believe Lion King was intact.

BTW, my favorite IMAX experience was, naturally, Rolling Stones at the Max. Attack of the 50-foot Mick!:cool:

5. Drew

I had read about a year ago the the IMAX company wasn't in good financial shape and this was going to be the wave of the future for them. The release of the last Star Wars movie in IMAX format didn't make it to my local IMAX theatre.

If they're not going to show the entire flick there isn't much point, though.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Reiterating Pretzel Logic79's question, why can't IMAX show the whole movie?

7. danstone

danstone Senior Member

From http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808405088&gpt=ch

"Something worth remembering about the IMAX versions, however, is that the projectors are unable to handle films longer than 120 minutes, so the IMAX versions are likely to be edited down by several minutes (the same thing had to be done with Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones)."

8. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Besides the running time being cut, isn't the aspect ratio altered as well to be shown in IMAX?

9. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Hmmmm

Maybe this will give the filmmakers a chance to cut down on particular scene that went on for way too long! (No spoilers here, those who have seen it know what I'm talking about).

10. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Correction...I just found this:

"(note: this will be the first feature film to be adapted to IMAX since new technology was introduced in early 2003 to allow them to screen movies up to 150 minutes long, so it will not have to be edited down like others in the past were)"

Still curious as to whether the aspect ratio is modified or not though.

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Ah, another "Stone." Soon we will rule the Forum, replicating like so many Agent Smiths.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I saw IMAX showings of "The Lion King" and "Beauty and the Beast", as well as "Fantasia 2000 for that matter, none were cut. "Beauty and the Beast" in fact had a bonus scene, which really didn't need to be there but is nice enough.

Dan C

13. Drew

Are you talking about the "Attack of the Killer Elrond's" scene?

:laugh:

14. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

They've upgraded the reels to support longer movies.

Will this be chopped up on the sides (pan and scan) like Apollo 13 and AotC?

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Matrix Reloaded was likely shot on Super 35. Based on effects shots I saw for the first film, they may actually do the digital effects hard-matted to 1.85:1 with the intention of further matting to 2.35:1 for scope release prints. (Normally, digital effects would be hard-matted to the release aspect ratio, but the production shots I saw made it look otherwise). My guess is the IMAX will be opened up vertically and cropped some on the sides.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.