If you want variety in movies, go see them in the theater, dammit!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm still trying to figure out how Elba got himself into everything from Avengers to Zootopia. The dude is everywhere, doing everything. He's good but not that good.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Same as everwhere else. If you already get work, more people who need people who do work, will ask you to do some for them.

Which is also the dynamic that encourages more movies to be made about what more movies are being made about. And, why so many people stay home with movies they've already seen, instead of going out to a theater to see a movie they haven't.

I blame Mike & Ike. Although after Captain Marvel's performance this weekend, we can probably expect one of them to be re-cast by a candy named Brie.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    showtaper likes this.
  3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Netflix’s only sustainable model is developing its own content, because Disney is going to pull all of its content from Netflix when it launches its own Disney+ streaming service, and other traditional studios will eventually do the same.

Tim Lookingbill and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Movie theaters are much like other industries impacted by the internet, they've done little to keep people wanting to go. While I don't see theaters going away completely, I think what will sustain are art house types. Big movie theater chains will all but disappear in the not too distant future.

showtaper and Humbuster like this.
  5. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree. As with record stores and bookstores, there will always be independent and art house movie theatres catering to aficionados, but the big chain theatres will soon go the way of Tower Records.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Here in the UK, cinema's made some brain dead decisions.

Like - we had a theater in my home town. However, they decided to close it and build a bigger place in an industrial area. This meant you needed a car to get to it, whereas before you could walk. Now, some 15 years later, they're going to build a new 10 screen complex back in the town center.

I've not been to the cinema since they moved it out of town. In fact, the last film I saw in the theater was War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise (and the print looked like it had been dragged around the parking lot).

The only other theater around here is farther out in a huge shopping mall. No thanks.

They are claiming the new theater will be open mid-2020. Who knows. It's costing 25m to build in total, apparently. When it opens I'll look into going, but from what I've heard tickets are approach $15-$20 a pop these days. If that's the case then I won't bother.

Spencer R likes this.
  7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Digital will never look like it was dragged around through the parking lot. Movies are delivered on a hard drive which means cheaper distribution costs by weight as opposed to FedEx'ing heavy film canisters.

Believe me, digital will look SO much better than print film projected on screen. The British cinematographer Roger Deakins has posted several times on his website forum that he finds no difference in the look shooting and processing digital vs film.

War of the Worlds was shot on film and it looked spectacular in the theater I saw it in.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm aware of digital, obviously. In this case it most certainly was not. Unless they played with a "look beat to hell" filter. :D

9. Tim Lookingbill

I edited my original comment to add War Of The Worlds was shot and distributed on film and looked gorgeous at my Texas theater.

I'ld guess the theater you saw it in had a lot of handlers moving it around from projector to projector. And considering it was a very popular movie it most likely flew many times through projector sprockets till there was nothing but dirt, scratches and dust.

I think you'll be very happy to attend your newly built digital theater.

I only watch newly released movies in my local cinema theater.

10. Tim Lookingbill

I pay US $5.50 as a Senior Discount to the regular $8.50 at my newly built digital cinema. Matinees are $5.50 with no discount.

This is why I don't get minimum wage laws that are set to one amount without taking into account cost of living being vastly different depending where one lives.

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Which chain? Both Odeon and Cineworld offer unlimited viewing for £17.99 per month.

Odeon's plan

Cineworld's plan

Both are a better deal than anything offered in the US - you can literally see as many movies as you wish, every day, all day.

jlocke08 and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm aware of the monthly deals - but given they moved all the cinema's out of town, requiring a car - it's irrelevant. When the new cinema arrives, then a monthly plan might be an option. But not right now, sadly.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Why can’t I find a female cineaste who drops the f-bomb like that? :love: She got a sister?

14. Chris DeVoe

It takes a lot to rile her up like that.

15. Chris DeVoe

OK, just making sure you knew about them.

16. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

I'm a big theater fan and heres my take on going to the movies (YMMV):

Go on a weekday - first matinee if possible (many theaters discount the first showing). Lots less people and distractions.

Find a theater that has upgraded its seating to the "recliner" style. Sit somewhat close so you can feel "immersed" in the experience.

Pick a local theater and memorize which seats are the best for you in each theater (assuming a multi-plex). Individual theaters are configured differently (this assumes you pick your own seat).

Try different theaters including drive-ins. I'm lucky enough to be with 50 miles of 3 different drive-ins.

Look for "event" movies. Maybe a local auditorium is playing "Rocky Horror" for a night. Maybe you have a theater that's showing silent movies. Or maybe a theater that's using actual film (instead of digital). Or playing a classic you loved from the 50's/60's/70's/80's. There's a whole community you could interact with at events like this.

Take someone who's never gone to the movies (like you grandkids). Nothing like giving them a unique and new experience (and they may always remember YOU as being the one who took them).

17. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Personally, I don’t think variety in film has much to do with the theater. There is, and has been plenty of variety in film regardless of the theater experience. I have seen many unique films that never went to the theater or did so in an extremely limited release.

Of course, I do believe that if the theaters all went away, things would change. Some films wouldn’t get made while others still would with less of a budget. People love movies so even without the theaters movies will still get made.

As far as variety is concerned, I think it would still be there. We might even see more variety then we do now. We would probably see the biggest change with the summer blockbusters. Without the theater, extremely large budgets in film might disappear. This might bring more variety in film as a way to compensate for lower budgets.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I don’t know.

18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I also need one who smokes and drinks a lot of coffee.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Try Paris.

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ooh-la-la!!!! Yes, and argues incessantly about the cinema. What was I thinking about moving back to Thailand? Merci!

21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Sounds like a plan!

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You will be
    Welcome!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

After decades of poor theaters, we recently got a brand spanking new one with the works, which forced the old, awful six-screener to upgrade their game as well.

I hadn't paid for a local movie since LORD OF THE RINGS, and then only under duress, but I've now seen six or seven movies in the theaters in the past year, including DEATH OF STALIN, THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD and HOSTILES, which had no chance of being screened here previously.

jlocke08 likes this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

yes, I have some colleagues who play music in some clubs and they were terribly light with people Friday after work....6-8 people tops and those who had dinners and went home to avoid St. Patrick's crowd...although it must have been all bars downtown!

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Nope, I'm done paying movie theater prices for movies that are (more times than not) awful. Besides, for the good movies there are plenty of other ways to view them if I want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.