If you want variety in movies, go see them in the theater, dammit!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

And bread is hard to come by man( for some) :)

2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I rarely go to theatres. Between all my streaming platforms, movies to rent on demand, and the library there’s too many great shows and flicks I can watch at home. A movie at a theatre for 2 people will cost me more than a month of all my streaming channels.

2/1000 bad experiences in theater? It’s almost every time for me.

Spencer R likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Did you see how my wife sees 12 movies in the theater a month for less than $20 in Chicago, a fairly expensive city?
    What sort of place do you live? All the Canadians I've known have been polite.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    SandAndGlass and jlocke08 like this.
  4. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

My problem is I don't want to see 12 films a month (there aren't that many which appeal to me) so it tends to be the odd film here and there. I tend to prefer the non-blockbusters too so this means I tend to go to the local art house - our nearest multiplexes are horrible anyway, with an hour of adverts before the film, and poor picture and sound quality. So the cheap monthly deals just don't really work for me.

eric777 and Deesky like this.
  5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I'm all for those who want to go to the theaters doing so. More power to you and I'm glad you enjoy the experience.
    Since I don't really care for most movies that come out these days, I don't want to see them in the theater or at home. There are many manÿ classic movies I've not seen, and given my age, I've got lots to watch in the time I have left. I'm not worried if they never made another movie.

Spencer R likes this.
  6. alexpop

3 films a month does me.
    Not to keen on the theatre experience myself. Though the film presentation is what I’m there for not the general public.

7. Chris DeVoe

Really? Vickie sees both the blockbusters and the art house films. Here are the last fifteen films she has seen from her Twitter account. RE21 is River East 21, a 21 screen multiplex in downtown Chicago. Music Box and Siskel are art houses.

• 129) Yardie @ RE21. Well-directed by Idris Elba (multi-talented!), a harrowing tale about a young Jamaican man (Aml Ameen) who moves to London to deal drugs, reconnect with his childhood sweetheart (Shantol Jackson) and find the man who murdered his peace-loving brother. Liked!
    • 128) Gloria Bell @ RE21. Directed by Sebastián Lelio, who also directed the original Gloria (from Chile) which sadly I missed. I can't relate to these characters any more than the ones from Spring Breakers (which has music I like better) but it's always nice to see Julianne Moore
    • 127) More Than Blue @ RE21. Taiwan. Gavin Lin directed. Oh I love this. Sad but beautiful. Jasper Liu perfect as a man who refuses to admit he's in love with his best friend (a lovely Ivy Yi-Han Chen), who loves him too, because he's dying. He tries to set her up with a new life.
    • 126) Giant Little Ones @ RE21. Really good, story of a high school boy (Josh Wiggens) questioning his sexuality, and the confusion, support and homophobia of people around him. Maria Bello & Kyle MacLachlan good as his sympathetic divorced parents. Keith Behrman wrote/directed.
    • 125) Spring Breakers (2012) @ Music Box. My favorite Harmony Korine. Seen many times and love it, even though I hate all the characters. I don't have to like the people to love the movies (LOVE There Will Be Blood & Goodfellas for instance). GREAT soundtrack.
    • 124) Transit @ Music Box. Germany. A refugee fleeing occupation forces takes on the identity of a writer who's committed suicide and tries to get passage to Mexico. Nothing goes as planned. I liked it but man, it was hard to watch. **** anti-immigrants/anti-refugees/racists.
    • 123) Touch of Evil (1958) @ Siskel. My first time (hangs head in shame) and I couldn't BELIEVE how uncomfortable I was. Partially from the stereotypes & racism, partially from all the stupidity, corruption and gaslighting going on. Dark, dark movie. I do see why many admire it.
    • 122) Captain Marvel @ Galewood. 7th. Because after Captive State I really REALLY needed something fun and warm and familiar to wrap my arms around, metaphorically speaking. It did the job.
    • 121) Captive State @ Galewood. VERY political, very dark, very somber look at fascism (which happens to come from space). Not a fun alien invasion movie, but good at telling the story it needs to tell. Needs patience and attention paid. Many will hate it. I, of course, liked it.
    • 120) Alita: Battle Angel @ Galewood. 2nd time. I'll bet most of the whiny manbabies who were pushing this never even saw it. It's very political, and not the kind they like. It's good too. I really do want a sequel and I hope it happens. It's what it deserves.
    • 119) Captain Marvel 3D @ RE21. 6th. I couldn't wait. Just doing my part to help it make a billion+ and stick it to the whiny manbabies. And, well, because I love it.
    • 118) Doctor Who - Logopolis (1981) @ RE21. The last Tom Baker (my first Doctor, thanks to my husband) before regeneration. Not my favorite story or companions (though I like Tegan, Nyssa & Adric, Sarah Jane has my heart), but it was fun to see on the big screen with an audience.
    • 117) Furie @ RE21. Vietnam. If this is a sequel I never saw the first, but no matter. LOVED IT! Directed by Le-Van Kiet, Veronica Ngo as a badass debt collector whose daughter is kidnapped by child traffickers. Thugs picked the wrong mama tiger to mess with. Much ass kicking.
    • 116) Greta @ RE21. Enjoyed this creepy Neil Jordan film, with Isabelle Huppert and Chloë Grace Moretz. Psychos gotta psycho and Huppert is an expert. Great to know Jordan is still at it. LOVE so many of his films, but my fave is still Breakfast On Pluto w Cillian Murphy.
    • 115) Badla @ RE21. India. GREAT movie!! The accused in a seemingly open/shut murder case hires a "fixer" lawyer (Amitabh Bachchan) to get her off, but he needs the absolute truth from her, something she doesn't want to give. Prying for that truth bit by bit is fascinating!
    Looking at that list, plenty of the foreign language films played at the mainstream multiple - Badla, Furie, More Than Blue - as well as tiny indie films - Gloria Bell, Giant Little Ones, Greta.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. alexpop

Nineties I went more to the cinema practically every second day.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I don’t have a clue how to get deals on tickets. It’s $14.50 each at the theatres here. Our Cineplexes also have VIP theatres that’re 19+. Serve alcohol and food. $20 weekday and $26 weekend for a ticket.

And Canadians talk, text, and loudly munch food during movies as well lol.

alexpop likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

What theater chains are near you? Because the AMC Stubs A*List deal is right on their website, ads for it play before every movie and it is even printed on their cups and popcorn bags.

AMC sold all their Canadian theaters to Cineplex and Landmark. The best deal I can find for Cineplex is ticket passes sold at Costco with two tickets, two drinks and a popcorn for $29.

11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I don’t think that’s available at Costco here in British Columbia. I’ve got every type of theatre chain nearby.

12. Chris DeVoe

Brenald79 likes this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I also doubt that he sits 30 feet away from his tv screen. :) What's relevant isn't the absolute size of the movie screen, but the ratio of screen size and viewing distance. With large format 4k (going to 8k) TV screens you can sit quite close without seeing the pixels, which means the size of the screen projected onto your retina can easily match what you see in a theater.

Old Mac and Rufus McDufus like this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Touch of Evil on the big screen! it doesnt completely hold together for me but visually love it
    ps they should be giving her free tickets as an influencer at this point...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Don't need it to appreciate and highly enjoy a movie. I also sit 8' away from the screen.

But if one wants a truly massive screen at home that can certainly be done as well.

There are over 30 million people in Canada. We have more than a few inconsiderate jerks.

17. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Not only has the Internet been invented, but your complete inability to address the actual substance of my comments shows exactly how the invention of the Internet has done little (if anything) to mitigate the problem. In fact, your total lack of nuance and condescending tone is a prime example of how the Internet might, if anything, make things worse.

18. Their science fiction films have been awful.

19. Unfortunately, the behavior we see is a combination of their at home viewing and a break down in social behavior. I had a lady texting throughout a movie sitting next to me the entire time I saw one recent film. I moved to another seat in the theater. If you can't unplug that long, you have no business going into a movie theater.

20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I remember a unique theater experience about twenty years. An attractive young Asian female was sitting to my right, along with some of her friends. Now this was before texting was all the rage. She took a call during the movie! To try to make this rude interruption as inconspicuous as possible (note, it was during winter), she created a sort of "tent" by draping the sweater over her head and continued to talk. It was so absurd that I figured there was nothing I could say that would make a difference. BTW, that did give me a kickstarter idea -- manufacturing sound proof sweaters for such events.;)

21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Chris, to the foreign films in your list, I would add Burning. I don't see anywhere near the number of movies your wife (and you see), but for me, Burning is the best movie of 2019 so far. It is a Korean movie: Burning (Beoning) (2018)

It just sucked me in from the first frame and didn't let go. It is rated NR and not for the prudish, but in no way does it veer in anything perverse or crass. Usually I don't want to hang around for lots of character development, but that is the key to the development of the plot.

Note: I saw it through my Netflix DVD rental plan.

22. Chris DeVoe

She has seen Burning.

Twice.

23. Chris DeVoe

A lot of people are every bit as addicted to their phones as others are to their crack pipes. Luckily for me, I look like a psycho and when a 6 foot tall nearly 300 lb psycho tells you to "put that phone away... now"...most people will comply.

townsend likes this.
  24. alexpop

The glare from the iPhones when lit up is really godawful irritating. Must don’t seem to give a flying f about it either. Of course talking is even more annoying.

eric777 likes this.
  25. alexpop

Not everyone’s a big heavy psycho, guess that helps. I just move seats, sometimes twice. Thankfully non cgi films look great on my 55“ plasma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.