If your wife thinks your record collection is over the top …

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spencer R, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So you’re saying my milk carton art that I helped my nephew with last year might be famous someday??

fretter likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Man, you guys just don't understand collecting at all. There is a massive difference between a Beatles flexi-disc and Dylan handwritten lyrics. Here are the nine Americans who have won the Nobel Prize for Literature: Eugene O'Neill, Pearl S. Buck, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Saul Bellow, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Toni Morrison, Bob Dylan. Try and search these authors and "handwritten manuscript" and see what you come up with. They are in a different league.

Spencer R and Zeki like this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sure but what percentage of mortal collectors can pay the asking prices?

4. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

A glimpse into the future... by looking at the present

... and another glimpse

like I stated earlier, I'm not sure how much Dylan will be appreciated in the future...

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Aside from being one of the nine US citizens to be honored with the Nobel Prize for Literature, much of Dylan's music sounds timeless, like the best of Stephen Foster or Woody Guthrie. It's 50-60 years old and still sounds good; I suspect that it will sound good 100 years from now.

It's interesting to me that half a century after release, the songs that young people sing from Blood on the Tracks are not the "big" numbers, but the more intimate tracks, songs like "Buckets of Rain", or "Shelter from the Storm" or the beautiful "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go"

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Zeki likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's always difficult to know what songs will resonate with future generations, stir their emotions, help them feel a sense of community . . . . Even if they never know that Dylan wrote it . . . .

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  7. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

Sorry, I don't quite catch what it is, "play-grading" :shrug:.

8. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Well, when you sell records here you play-grade them first so you can give a description as to what condition they are in. So, since you claimed to have sold 2 wives, I was just curious how their play-grading came out :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.