Ifi SPDIF Purifier 2. Anyone have one of these ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone?, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recently got a Node streamer and I’m happy with it.
    Made my Marantz sound a bit better and the software is fast , intuitive and simple to install and get working.

figured I’d integrate some IFI technology into the mix and get one of these SPDIF purifiers.

anyone notice a difference using one?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  2. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity what is the exact end result of using one of these ?

Tone? likes this.
  3. Tone?

ha I don’t know.

but having bought the jitterbug yeah there was a difference. It reduced the slight ‘haze’ or slight smearing around instruments.

so I am expecting the same from this.

chris8519 and Rich-n-Roll like this.
  4. Rich-n-Roll

Interesting....anytime I see something a device in this case where a spdif/rca connector is concerned it is usually to eliminate the most common thing associated with Spdif unbalanced connectors which is RF interference. What's a jitterbug ?

5. Kevin Price

Kevin Price Well-Known Member

It's function is to reclock the signal before entering the dac, hence the term jitter reduction. The general result is to solidify the sq although the type of dac used will greatly determine it's effectiveness.
    Mine is used into an Audio Note dac which has no digital filtering, making the use of a reclocker almost mandatory and powered by a Allo Shanti LPS

Lowrider75, Tone? and Rich-n-Roll like this.
  6. Rich-n-Roll

I hear a lot about "jitter" is it something that perceptive audibly to the human ear ? If so...what does it sound like or do to the signal

7. CodecCowboy

CodecCowboy Well-Known Member

I just got their streamer which I think has one of these built into it. I’ll let you know how it compares to my other sources when it shows up later today.

Tone? likes this.
  8. Kevin Price

Kevin Price Well-Known Member

Jitter can be as fundamental as when you may hear a skipping sound during playback. In most applications it's presence is more subtle. As ever with this hobby/obsession of ours, opinions differ.
    For myself the ifi Purifier 2 has been a major success

Tone? likes this.
  9. Tone?

So it does what it says on the tin?

what are the differences you hear with and without it ?

thanks

10. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

BLUF: I really like mine…

Folowing lifted from my Amazon review (also has photos):
    View Image Gallery
    Pleasant (Major) Surprise
    By DPC on Nov 24, 2018
    Used with Sonos Connect into my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC (coax/coax). Sonos sounded real good to begin with and was almost as good as my Rotel CDP used as a transport, so the DAC is doing a good job with its internal reclocker dealing with the jittery Sonos. I dig the Sonos ecosystem around the house and would like to keep it in the main system, so I was hoping for at least a little improvement with a reclocker; however, this iFi SPDIF iPurifier is a fanstastic sound upgrade for me. Had considered a couple other costlier alternatives, but not thrilled with upsampling and figured I could use the iFi in my A/V system if it didn't work out in the main system. As many reviews suggest, the detail, depth, and stage improvements are impressive, and the iFi provides good combinations of input/output, if needed.

I must say that I am primarily a vinyl guy, and use digital at home for music unavailable/unwarranted on vinyl (and Sonos frequently feeds my ADD), but this system addition will have me listening to digital quite a bit more at home. Obviously the iFI SPDIF iPurifier is likely to have different or less impactful results in other systems (e.g., better streamers, better DAC reclockers), but this has delivered an astounding improvement to my setup regardless of its small price.

EDIT: Added an Uptone UltraCap LPS 1.2 to feed the iFi (replacing the included power supply) after reading some recommendations elsewhere. This made what sounded great even better...improved everything (clarity, dynamics, soundstage). Yes, it cost 3X this iFi...very well worth it to me in my system.

BONUS EDIT: Decided to give the new iPurifier2 a go...definitely an improvement to the very impressive original. Same exact configuration as in my original/edited review of the original. The iPurifier2 adds just that extra bit of detail and fullness to what the original already offers. As this resides in my main 2-channel system, I'll relocate the original (with its iFi power supply) down with my A/V system with another Sonos Connect setup. I was contemplating trying out a newer streamer for my 2-channel, like the Auralic Aries G1 or something, but I'm not seeing (hearing?) any need for a while with this nifty upgrade.

jesterthejedi and Tone? like this.
  11. Tone?

Impressive. Most impressive.

12. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

It also functions perfectly as an elephant repellant. How do I know it works? I've never seen an elephant when I've been using it!

PineBark, Agitater, luckybaer and 4 others like this.
  13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You can read about jitter here Plangent - A Better Way to Transfer Analog Tape

jfeldt likes this.
  14. Tone?

Hahahaha.

15. Rich-n-Roll

16. therockman

Read the link, it has a very good description of jitter and discusses practical real-world ways to eliminate it.

Tone? likes this.
  17. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

What’s the issue?

18. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

A good DAC will not need a third party device for clock recovery and will deploy a PLL to good effect to achieve this internally. The vast majority of reasonably well designed modern DACs have excellent jitter measurements.

A badly designed DAC is unlikely to benefit as it will be imposing too much signal degradation itself for something like this to make a difference.

I would advise caution before investing in such a piece of equipment. A well designed PLL is not cheap - certainly considerably more than the asking price for the iFi equipment. In fact I cannot envisage the circumstances in which this would help!

PineBark, Agitater and therockman like this.
  19. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Just to add - jitter has the same basic effects as other sources of signal degradation. If it is frequency-specific it will be perceived as distortion. If it is at high levels but at no specific frequency it will be perceived as noise or 'haze'.

The easiest way to test is to compare one of the older generation of AV receivers and listen to the same signal through SPDIF and HDMI. HDMI has not got the intrinsic capacity for clock recovery for the audio signal. Proprietary methods are needed to overcome this engineering challenge. Early AV HDMI kit - even well designed - had jitter readings of >2,000psec (or higher) versus <200 for SPDIF.

There is some question how audible jitter variations are below a reference point (circa. 200psec I think). Some designers - Rob Watts I think is one - insist the human ear is extremely susceptible to signal timing errors and hence the very best Chord kit (Hugo 2) has jitter readings at about 8psec, which is pretty much the theoretical and measurable limit of performance.

jfeldt likes this.
  20. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Remember that even the best turntable has thousands of times more jitter than any digital source. It's called "wow & flutter".

shug4476, MrEWhite and therockman like this.
  21. Tone?

My Marantz DAc is a bit old so it can benefit from such a device. I’ll see if it works.

also a DACs insides aren’t insanely large. I can’t imagine a DACs internal PLL to be larger that this device. But maybe I’m wrong.
    We shall see

Thanks

22. therockman

This is true.

23. therockman

He doesn't believe in jitter.

24. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I used the iFi original version with an older NOS Audio Note DAC. The improvement came once I added a LPS to the iPurifier. Dynamics improved, music had weight to it, a larger soundstage, and more detail. Using the iFi wall-wart without the LPS had very little benefit.

Now that I've upgraded my DAC to a 2.1x Signature, the iPurifier is not needed. IMO, this device with a basic LPS (5 volts) will benefit many DACS.
    The version 2 might be the better option because noise is greatly reduced (according to user reviews) and test measurements.

DPC and Kevin Price like this.
  25. Coypu

Coypu Forum Resident

I have got the 'JITTERS' just reading about jitter :cop:...........still..it's an education on the subject...excuse me I just need to put the kettle on for tea.

Tone? likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.