'Igginbottom's Wrench- Best Sounding CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Martin Max, Aug 29, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Max

Martin Max New Member Thread Starter

Hi I'm Martin, new here. I looked through Threads to see if anyone has ever commented on the various CD editions of Allan Holdsworth's first profressional band/release.

For the record, I bought the 1999 Si-Wan Edition CD recently, I have to wait 5-6 weeks to listen to it. I hope I made the right choice. Not the best British Jazz Release I have heard, yet I love the way the album was recorded and am a sucker for the amazing Allan!

Was the Angel Air CD from 2000 better? Or the "Purple Pyramid" CD? (Clone most likely?) I saw the great Nicky Watson mastered it, yet was hesitant to purchase it due to the fact that some of the BGO discs he mastered of music from bands such as UFO were a tad harsh and from what I understand most consider the Esoterics of the Procol Harum catalogue (sans the new MFSL of "Salty Dog") better than the Watson remasters.

I understand Ben Wiseman mastered this for Esoteric back in 2009, yet I didn't want to pick it up because I heard his work on the PFM catalog back around that time period (Late 2000s/Early 2010s) was pretty mediocre.

I bought the Si-Wan CD under the assumption that it was cloned from the Master used for the 1989 Japanese Dream "European Rock Collection 2" CD, Catalog No. K32Y 2190. I have heard most Si-Wan CDs are clones of other Digital Masters, so.

I ask if I made the right choice?
    Yet I can put on the Big Boy pants now. ;) Figure this all out on my own. I just don't want to spend over $50 on this album, though I do like it! Thank you all.

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I’ve only got the Purple Pyramid cd which I think sounds fine (haven’t played it on the main system in a very long time, so I can’t offer much more than that without a revisit). Was not aware there are multiple issues of this one. Perhaps @ricks has some thoughts?

Martin Max and ricks like this.
  3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

The album I do like but has little replay value to me as my Holdsworth interest lies in his Fusion era.

I don't have the K32Y as it was too pricey, given my Holdsworth non-fusion era limited interest, when I was filling in holes in my Holdsworth collection.

After a quick revisit over the last 15 minutes....

I do have the Esoteric and similar to many of their masterings its borderline decent and by that I don't mean good I mean meh or middle of the road .

Not sure if the Angel Air CD and Purple Pyramid are clones, I have only the later and prefer it over the Esoteric.

Martin Max and Musicisthebest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.